register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Do you 'do' dominance?
Yes I believe in the dominance/heirachy/pack theory 51 43.22%
No I don't 'do' dominance 42 35.59%
Have absolutely no idea 1 0.85%
Sitting on the fence 24 20.34%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2007, 07:22 PM

Do you 'do' dominance?

As I've mentioned before I don't 'do' dominance. I have struggled with that theory right from the start when I first started owning dogs. It just didn't sit right with me. Technically, if I accepted the dominance theory then I'd be doing everything wrong and should have huge problems on my hands. After all I let the dogs sleep in my bed, they have food down all the time, they go through doors before me, I feed them off my plate and so the list goes on, but I don't have problems at all. They don't resource guard with me, do as they're told (most of the time lol!) and seem very relaxed and happy.
So do you 'do' dominance or do you believe it is an outdated theory?
Becky
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-10-2007, 07:28 PM
I dont do it as such, like you they dont get fed after me, its in between breakfast and dinner they get their first and between dinner and tea their 2nd so it imo would be a nightmare to change this to fit the be fed after rule. They also sleep my bed and dont have problems, they also go through doors first but if I tell them to stay and I go first they will (most of the time)

I can see it working with some dogs and they all vary but there is no need with mine. Like I have said in the past all dogs differ so training ways will do so to.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2007, 07:30 PM
Please come live with me for a few days and you can watch it in action

I have edited this bit in..to say... I do think that certain breeds are more pack orientated than others..and I think its maybe a breed specific thing.. all I know is.. I live with 2 mals (dog & bitch) and a male samoyed.. and we NEED pack order ....
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

27-10-2007, 07:33 PM
Much as I hate to sit one fences that's what I voted.

We do feed the dogs after we've eaten but try stopping Fingal being first through a door.

They get to lie on the couch or kip on the foot of the bed but they certainly know who's the boss when I loose the rag.
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2007, 07:34 PM
I dont do dominance as such , my three have pretty much the run of the house except for my bedroom , its the only place they do not get into , they get fed after us , and lady being gaffer gets her food bowl put down first then skye then beau they are pretty well behaved and i dont have any problems with them xxdk
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-10-2007, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Much as I hate to sit one fences that's what I voted.

We do feed the dogs after we've eaten but try stopping Fingal being first through a door.
They get to lie on the couch or kip on the foot of the bed but they certainly know who's the boss when I loose the rag.
Tell me about it, my lot can slide through the smallest gap to be first.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2007, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by phil
Ah my view is they don't see you as the 'boss' as such but they know how to act when you behave in a certain manner to diffuse the situation!
Becky
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2007, 07:37 PM
I voted yes, but it was mainly when we first had Jack, he bonded with Christopher immediatley, and I was well down the list, I got growled and snapped at for anything and everything, I had to find a gentle way of stopping him from doing this, he was a nervous wreck of a dog when we got him, and is terrified of the clicker, so just a few simple things put me back on top, and they worked immediatley, but he goes through a door before me, he sleeps on the bed with me know, though that is a new thing and only when he is asked, so yes when we first had him, but not so much now.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2007, 07:39 PM
We don't do it as such but we don't stand any messing around,and they know it.

I had problems with Meg when she got 5/6 months old,but since then we don't really have problems as such.
They are proper peoples dogs and just love been part of a family curling up on the sofa or infront of the fire.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

27-10-2007, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Ah my view is they don't see you as the 'boss' as such but they know how to act when you behave in a certain manner to diffuse the situation!
Becky
That's about right although I'd say they do certain things because I allow them to.
Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »