Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-08-2007, 01:07 PM

Consider not breeding /split from the puppy thread

Good luck from me too, but I would like you to consider not breeding any puppies at all, so many healthy dogs are put down each year because of peoples so called need for cute puppies. I feel you are only adding to the problem and hope that you will look into this further.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2007, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by tinkladyv View Post
Good luck from me too, but I would like you to consider not breeding any puppies at all, so many healthy dogs are put down each year because of peoples so called need for cute puppies. I feel you are only adding to the problem and hope that you will look into this further.
Why do you consider this to be adding to the problem???

If a breeder like ZB is willing to take back any puppy they have bred then I don't see how this is adding to the problem.

Good Luck with Charlie,looking forward to plently of updates!
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-08-2007, 01:38 PM
Because by breeding this litter, you have added yet more dogs to be homed, there are simply not enough homes for all the dogs out there. If we stopped breeding and just got rescues, then healthy dogs would not have to be destroyed.
Please take the time to look at world statistics on dog destroying, im sure many were once puppies from breeders!
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2007, 01:38 PM
If we all the reputable breeders who health tested stopped breeding dogs of certain breeds would die out completly or you'd have to buy from puppy farms.
Which would you prefer a pedigree thats been health tested and respresents the breed standard or a sickly dog thats been raised in a shed with no love and if theres a problem the breeders dont want to know.
If your sugguesting we all stop breeding where are you intending on getting your next dog from, most rescue centre neuter (SP). I can assure you none of my puppies will ever end up put down as I ensure (as do most breeders) that the new buyers are carefully checked and like Toni i insist that if theres a problem the dogs come back to me to be rehomed. i ve also kept in touch with every one whos bought a pup from me to ensure they have a healthy happy life.
Im sorry but to sugguest if we all stopped carefully breeding our pedigree dogs is frankly laughable.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2007, 01:42 PM
Because by breeding this litter, you have added yet more dogs to be homed, there are simply not enough homes for all the dogs out there. If we stopped breeding and just got rescues, then healthy dogs would not have to be destroyed.
Please take the time to look at world statistics on dog destroying, im sure many were once puppies from breeders!
Again your assuming our dogs will need rehoming in the future, or that if we stop people will go to rescue. Theres a 12 month waiting list in my breed for a puppy and nothing what so ever in rescue. I reccomended someone on my list rehome a working English but theyd rather wait.
As im sure most on here who have a specific breed would.
When you say most were puppies form breeders,do you know where they came from?
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-08-2007, 01:55 PM
There are plenty off pedigrees at rescues, i know of many collies and labradors needing homes right now in rescue and i have only ever had rescues - two ex breeding bitches and a blind and deaf collie from a so called reputable breeder(who advertises herself as such), who continues to breed from two solid merles!
How about we all get over having a purebread and get a cross breed, after all arent they all as deserving and loveable as pedigrees????
Surely if we all had to go through rescues, we could be sure of good homes, no dogs would have to be desroyed and then if there was a need to breed, it could be controlled, so that no dog had to be put down simply because a person was bored of it or couldnt be bothered anymore.
I am not saying you are not checking homes etc, but why dont you rescue instead of breed, if its not about the money???
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

16-08-2007, 02:06 PM
I do not breed and never will but when getting a dog I would always buy from a reputable breeder. Reputable breeders have waiting lists and homes waiting for puppies, and are prepared to take aback a puppy of their breeding at any time, so they are not the main reasons that rescues are full. May I also say that statements such as yours would not encourage me to go to a rescue centre. I love all dogs whether pedigree or crossbreed, but I choose to own reputably bred pedigree dogs whilst you choose to go to a rescue that is your perogative but you should not be asking people to consider not breeding if you think about it if no one bred eventually some breeds would die out. I am in no way against rescue centres or rescue dogs but I do get a bit annoyed as it comes over that some people are so rescue orientated that they can't see other the other person's point
of view and that to me does not do rescues any favours.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2007, 02:08 PM
I can assure you most of us on here who breed tend to do it at a loss ( I sugguest you read back through some of the previous threads sorry dont know how to link). There will always be a strong demand for pedigrees as opposed to cross breeds as you know what the breed will look like, height etc and you know the health implications of your chosen breed. Stopping breeding wouldnt solve the problem of over crowding in rescue, and the cases you've quoted ar extreme.
And I'm speaking from experience my friend runs a working gundog rescue and the majority of dogs he sees have been breed on puppy farms or there too old to work.
By the way were way off thread here can a mod please seperate this as Tonis enough on her plate at the moment this was meant ot be a support thread for poor Charlie. Thanks
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-08-2007, 02:21 PM
I fully support her in getting her a home for charlie, that is why i rescued my deaf and blind pup.

But again to add, pedigrees can be got from rescues!

And if everyone stopped breeding, people would have to go through rescues if they really wanted a dog.
I think from my own experience going to a breeder is an easy option, i have heard people say so, so many times!

It would also stop puppy farms, which has to be the right move.

P.S
The cases i have stated are NOT extreme. Please take a look at the following:
21 July 2004

10,000 stray dogs 'needlessly' destroyed in UK

Nearly 10,000 stray dogs were destroyed by local authorities in the UK last year, according to a new survey by the UK’s largest dog welfare charity.

According to Dogs Trust, an average of one dog per hour was being put to sleep simply because their owners could not be traced or new homes found for them.

The survey results, compiled by NOP World, also found that there were over 105,000 stray dogs collected by local authorities last year, meaning that there is one stray dog for every 557 people in the UK.

Dogs Trust Chief Executive, Clarissa Baldwin, said: "These figures are disturbing because of the sheer numbers of stray dogs being needlessly killed each year. Every dog should be a wanted dog and Dogs Trust will continue to fight for an end to this unnecessary destruction."

On a more positive note, there has been a 5% decrease in the number of strays and also a 2% decrease in the number of destructions over the last 12 months.

This proved that the stray dog problem was solvable, she added.

The Dogs Trust has advised owners that by neutering and microchipping their dogs, they can ensure that they do not add to a situation where so many dogs are unwanted.

Since 1999 over 110,000 dogs have been neutered and 150,000 dogs microchipped through the organization. Anyone interested in finding out more about neutering and microchipping should call the Campaigns hotline on 0845 606 3036.

And can i just highlight this point, which is where im coming from:
The Dogs Trust has advised owners that by neutering and microchipping their dogs, they can ensure that they do not add to a situation where so many dogs are unwanted.

I think that you as breeders have to take this on as part of your responsability.
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-08-2007, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by lovezois View Post
I do not breed and never will but when getting a dog I would always buy from a reputable breeder. Reputable breeders have waiting lists and homes waiting for puppies, and are prepared to take aback a puppy of their breeding at any time, so they are not the main reasons that rescues are full. May I also say that statements such as yours would not encourage me to go to a rescue centre. I love all dogs whether pedigree or crossbreed, but I choose to own reputably bred pedigree dogs whilst you choose to go to a rescue that is your perogative but you should not be asking people to consider not breeding if you think about it if no one bred eventually some breeds would die out. I am in no way against rescue centres or rescue dogs but I do get a bit annoyed as it comes over that some people are so rescue orientated that they can't see other the other person's point
of view and that to me does not do rescues any favours.
I was just wondering why you wouldnt go to a rescue centre?
Page 1 of 32 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »