View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2007, 11:13 AM
It is a hard decision to make but you know when it is time. For me it's better a week too early than a day too late. Quality of life will always be number one when considering this.
Becky
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2007, 11:15 AM
Thanks Becky, thats a good thing to remember and I ahve to agree.
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-07-2007, 11:25 AM
I think you only really have the one choice and that is to give him a great quality of life over quantity of life.

It is no good him living for another two years but being in a lot of pain for that period of time.

I know it is possibly one of the hardest decisions you ever have to make, but I’m sure you will know when its the right time for dog.

My thoughts and prayers are with you both.

Colin
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

24-07-2007, 11:55 AM
Hi Ailsa

A hard decision as we all know, but I agree with Berky on this.

Comfortng gentle hugs to Mo and to you, know you will do what is best for him.

Eunice x
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-07-2007, 12:32 PM
I'm completely with Moobli on this issue. I believe it is part of the unique deal we take on as dog owners. We have a clear duty of care, yes, but we also have a duty to encourage and permit the dog to live its life to the maximum extent possible, open it up to as many different experiences as possible.

I do recall my partner having concerns about our GSD being carried by the often very strong current in the River Trent, where, up until our moving home, she went swimming each and every day. "You'd hate yourself if she drowned", my partner would say. "I'd hate myself more if I denied her something that she clearly loves doing so much.", I would answer.

I understand that the circumstance is different, as my dog is perfectly healthy, but I think the point is the same.

As for when it's time to go - only you can know that. My only thought on the issue is that it's the one time, more than any other that I know, we have to be completely unselfish and do what we think is right for the dog. That's about all I do know for sure.
Olly
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2007, 12:46 PM
what a choice i think i would opt for free runs as he will know when he's had enough ,as for the tumor ,i dont know what to say to you its one of the things we all hope will never happen ,bit IF they find it and depending what they say and advise i know you will do whats right ,you could'nt possibly have a dog for as long as ypu have and not know ,sorry i hav'nt put that very well but i hope you know what i mean (its a sign of age )
lizziel
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-07-2007, 12:52 PM
Realy sorry to hear about Mo

I am all for making the most of the life we have and so, if it was me, I would be going for quality over quantity every time. I think it is far better to have had a great, active life doing and enjoying all that there is out there than to have had a more sedentary but longer time in this world

As long as both you and he are happy with what you are doing then I would say get out there and make the most of your time with him
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2007, 01:00 PM
Mo has had a great life with you A. Go and enjoy whatever time you have left with him
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2007, 01:33 PM
Poor Mo. I tend to agree with the others, Ailsa. Let the old lad enjoy life xox
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2007, 04:03 PM
Iam sat here ailsa sobbing while reading your thread , as zb will tell you its very close to my heart my boy juke had a nasal tumour in his case it spread to the brain and spine ,he did not remain with me long after being diagnosed , ( Not that im saying this will happen with mo )so i say let him life his time to the fullest and enjoy his life as he has always done , and you woill know hun when the time is right for you and mo to say your farewells ,big hugs hun at this difficult time xxdk
Page 2 of 33 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »