View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Amber08071
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-01-2007, 05:58 PM

How do I get Rocky to stop chewing everything??

Rocky (St.Bernard x Boxer) is seven months old now. I have never had any problems with him chewing on anything other than his toys until about 4-5 days ago. I am at my wits end. He has bones and pig ears, and balls, rubber toys, and he still does like to chew those, but now he is into everything else. He eats my door mats, my sons toys, he grabs the toilet paper from the bathroom and chews up the whole roll, kleenex from the garbage, it is driving me insane. Where did my good little boy go and how do I get him back?
Dudley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-01-2007, 10:18 AM
Hi Amber
You might find its his age and down him teething but ive also heard that dogs that chew things like toilet roll, paper tissues etc, could be due to lack of fibre in there diet.
What are you feeding him?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-01-2007, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by Amber08071 View Post
Rocky (St.Bernard x Boxer) is seven months old now. I have never had any problems with him chewing on anything other than his toys until about 4-5 days ago. I am at my wits end. He has bones and pig ears, and balls, rubber toys, and he still does like to chew those, but now he is into everything else. He eats my door mats, my sons toys, he grabs the toilet paper from the bathroom and chews up the whole roll, kleenex from the garbage, it is driving me insane. Where did my good little boy go and how do I get him back?
Hi Amber I guess Rocky is teething at the moment and just like a baby he will have a physical need to chew anything and everything. Make sure he has a good supply of things to chew, frozen carrots are good and the cold sooths the gums also an old tea towel moistened/knotted/frozen and hard toys like the large Nylabones.

Remove easily chewed items for the moment, the chewing should get better in time although some chewing is normal behaviour for a dog, they need to keep their teeth in good condition and jaws exercises and supple in order to obtain food should the need arise. It is best not to shout at Rocky when he chews or he will do it all the more when you are not around, instead distract him and provide lots of suitable alternatives that he can chew and don't forget to praise him when he is chewing his 'approved items'.
Amber08071
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-01-2007, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
Hi Amber
You might find its his age and down him teething but ive also heard that dogs that chew things like toilet roll, paper tissues etc, could be due to lack of fibre in there diet.
What are you feeding him?

He is on Pedigree Healthy Start for puppies.