Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
5dog
Dogsey Junior
Male 

06-01-2007, 03:01 PM
I dont think its the police not having the balls as you put it
to make this law work, more a case of no man power.
The same with a dog warden, most councils mabye have one or two whos main job is to collect stray dogs in their area, not deal with yobs who wouldnt comply with a warden anyway
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2007, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
The issue I have with 'taking a test' is that they test will either be so easy that it's worthless or so difficult that very few people will pass.
I think, as a start, all dogs should be permenantly identified. This will be minimal cost to all but relatively easy to enforce.
How many people on here have their dogs chipped/tattooed and have the correct tag details?
Becky
That is the point though, I don't think the test should be easy to pass! I think it should be difficult ie: be able to answer questions that prove your abilities and knowledge about dogs and their upkeep. I believe you should be able to demonstrate your abilities as a handler like you do when taking the Kennel Club Good Citizen Test but BEFORE being allowed to own a dog. I'm not talking MENSA tests either but there is a happy medium I believe.

In anwer to the other question - I have my dog microchipped and with each house move (even the temporary one for 3 months rental) - I paid to have the details updated each time.

I still believe that if a two prong attack were in place restricting who can Breed and who can buy - a lot of these problems would be eradicated
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-01-2007, 03:16 PM
I maybe shoulda been more clear with what I meant.... I mean a government that has the "balls" to let them I guess...
Seems our government is willing to throw money and support at all sorts of rubbish. But when it comes to normal everyday important issues they don't want to know.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-01-2007, 03:25 PM
hm there is some of us that do the best we can do ian relating to the job we do and the government funding in place.
theres no easy solution although i hope some thing is done to improve the situtation all the way round.
me i would sooner up stick before my dogs got removed.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2007, 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by 5dog View Post
I dont think its the police not having the balls as you put it
to make this law work, more a case of no man power.
The same with a dog warden, most councils mabye have one or two whos main job is to collect stray dogs in their area, not deal with yobs who wouldnt comply with a warden anyway
I disagree, how many police will go onto a travellers site to recover peoples stolen pets? Not many, in fact I think Dog Wardens probably have more balls than the police.
I think the police are too worried about the 'rights' of these criminals to actually do something. Where as I'd far rather they went in and worried about their rights once they;ve been convicted!
Becky
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

06-01-2007, 04:06 PM
Up to about 1920 was it not the case that anyone could drive a car without passing a test or having a licence??

Yes, a multi prong approach is needed:-
a) Test & licence for owners.
b) Legal microchip & registration of dog.c) Compulsory registration of breeders.
d) Powers of arrest for dog wardens.
(Only when related to dogs 'tho)
e) Judges who live in the real world and apply the law as it was intended.
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-01-2007, 05:10 PM
I see where your coming from Nicci_L but I must admit, I don't feel worried at the moment. I get the impression that the police are more interested in ceasing pitbulls at the min, and it's the dozey people sitting round drinking coffee all day (councillors, DDA etc) that keep mentioning other dogs. At the moment I don't worry about other breeds, but I should imagine it's possible they may come into the DDA in the future...which of course I don't agree with in the slightest.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-01-2007, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
A need to pass a test and get a licence is surely the way to go.

Some members with more than one dog have said that they couldn't afford it, but surely the cost wouldn't be 'per dog' - It would be a one off cost per owner, it might cost 100 pounds, but we all spend lots more on our dogs (food and toys etc.)

Once the test had been passed there needn't be anymore cost
Your absolutely right.

I think it should be a one off license fee once you have passed your test. I believe the test should be long and detailed, those that fail should be allow to re-sit it as many times as they like once every 3-4mths, giving the person time to keep learning.

Us dog lovers on dogsey would pass with flying colurs and those that don't put a second thought into getting a dog would fail. Even better they wouldn't bother applying as it would be too much hassle to get a dog.

It would certainly help in rehoming rescues and I'm sure those of you that are breeders would feel much happier letting your pups go to someone who has passed the test, I know I would.

It could be enforced by wardens asking to see licences esp. when returning a stray to its owner. Vets could ask to see the licences when enrolling new clients. All Rescues, breeders and pet shops would have to check the licence before rehoming. If the RSPCA or council receive a complaint their first check is to see the owners licence. Police that see hoodies on the street with staffys could ask to see their licence. Those that don't have a licence are prosecuted and the dog taken off them.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2007, 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by Ozzysmom View Post
That is the point though, I don't think the test should be easy to pass! I think it should be difficult ie: be able to answer questions that prove your abilities and knowledge about dogs and their upkeep. I believe you should be able to demonstrate your abilities as a handler like you do when taking the Kennel Club Good Citizen Test but BEFORE being allowed to own a dog. I'm not talking MENSA tests either but there is a happy medium I believe.

In anwer to the other question - I have my dog microchipped and with each house move (even the temporary one for 3 months rental) - I paid to have the details updated each time.

I still believe that if a two prong attack were in place restricting who can Breed and who can buy - a lot of these problems would be eradicated
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Up to about 1920 was it not the case that anyone could drive a car without passing a test or having a licence??

Yes, a multi prong approach is needed:-
a) Test & licence for owners.
b) Legal microchip & registration of dog.c) Compulsory registration of breeders.
d) Powers of arrest for dog wardens.
(Only when related to dogs 'tho)
e) Judges who live in the real world and apply the law as it was intended.
These two posts really hit the nail on the head for me. The owners of these dogs should be the focus of attention in my opinion. The dogs are fine until some sad "hardnut" gets his/her hands on them. Protect the dogs from those sort of people and I think we'd be half way to solving the problem.

If someone told me I had to pass a test to own a Gundog, I probably wouldn't be best pleased. But if it was to protect the breeds I love I'd be only too happy to take it. If the test was compiled correctly I'd pass with flying colours as I love Gundog breeds and know exactly what owning them entails. I think those that want a dog for a good reason (love of the breed, family pet, working dog etc (not a fighting dog)) should have no problem passing such a test as they will have bothered to do their homework. Of course there may be ways to get round such things, but at least it would be a start.

A member of the public wrote in the local paper today about "savage dogs" () and said that dog owners should be made to pay hundreds of pounds to own a dog. He believed it would put a lot of people off and therefore cut down on children being bitten and dogs being in rescue.

He may well be right, but being a Student Nurse there is absolutely no way I could afford to pay hundreds of pounds for the three I own. I look after my dogs well, they're well fed, well exercised and loved to within an inch of their lives.

Why should I (and those like me) be deprived of them all just because of the odd idiot f**kwits in the world.
Page 32 of 32 « First < 22 29 30 31 32