View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2007, 02:37 PM
Whether it is a Pitbull an ISBT or a badly bred cross breed, the fact remains that a child has died because someone somewhere did not give enough thought to what they were breeding and someone somewhere did not consider what they were buying nor did they take notice of the first rule of dog owning, the one that says you do not leave a dog alone with a child. Sorry but I can’t feel sympathy with the owner of the dog or the person in charge my only sadness is that a child has been deprived of it's chance of life.
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2007, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by Pita View Post
Whether it is a Pitbull an ISBT or a badly bred cross breed, the fact remains that a child has died because someone somewhere did not give enough thought to what they were breeding and someone somewhere did not consider what they were buying nor did they take notice of the first rule of dog owning, the one that says you do not leave a dog alone with a child. Sorry but I can’t feel sympathy with the owner of the dog or the person in charge my only sadness is that a child has been deprived of it's chance of life.
What a horrible thing to say know one Really knows what happened or whether this Dog was badly breed or anything yet!
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2007, 02:54 PM
What is so horrible, a well-bred dog would never attack a child unprovoked nor would a sensible owner allow a dog to be alone with a child. So either the dog was of unreliable temperament or was left alone with a child, however you look at it the child is not to blame for it’s own death.
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-01-2007, 03:01 PM
It could of been a Chihauhaua, at the end of the day a child has died.

I clicked the link, saw the heading, and haven't read the rest of the story - I couldn't. I have a 5 year old child and I just can't begin to imagine what the family must be going through.

It comes to no suprise to me that this was a Pitbull/Pitbull type dog involved. I have expressed my opinions about this breed in other posts. Although stated Pitbulls are an excellent breed to have with children, I've never agreed, and the Pitbull is probably the 1 and only breed out there I can honestly say - hand on heart - that I will never trust 100%.

Although Pitbulls are a banned breed here in the U.K, there are still many of them, and Pitbull crosses about. I know of a few in my area alone.

A very shocking story
That poor lil girl
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2007, 03:04 PM
I'm sorry to suggest that all well bred/reared dogs wouldnt attack someone is totally incorrect. As has been suggested it may have been frightened by fireworks, that would happen regardless as to how the dog was bred.
My feeling is that the child was alone with the dog, as seems to be the case with most, if not all, dog attacks on children, and we simply do not, nor possibly ever will, find out why the dog reacted as it did.
If the dog had been a yorkie, it may not have killed the child, but that wouldn't have made the yorkie any less aggressive than this dog (whatever it may be).
Becky
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2007, 03:06 PM
What is Horrible is the Fact you don't know what happened and why and still make really harsh comments like you did. These people have lost a Child, even it was down to them making some bad Judgments MAYBE
I still believe they deserve sympathy sorry.

My Friend had a very well Bred!!! Dog that just got up and attacked a Child that was sitting on the Sofa Child, owner was in the room, needed 70 stitches in her Face Dog was Put down the owner wanted a Autopsy done,turned out the Dog had a Brain Tumor very likely reason this usally gentle Dog attacked.

Not saying its the case here but until the full facts are known maybe we should not judge them.
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2007, 03:14 PM
From what I just heard on the News the grandmother had only just left the room but she is too poorly for police to interview her yet.

I'm sure we have all at one time in our life's popped out of the room to put kettle on etc and left the Dog in the room with Children I have. Although to be Honest dogs and Children are kept apart when the Fireworks are going as kai gets SO scared not 100% what he would do when he is so panicked.

The dog knew the child well so must have been fine with her before for G/Mother to feel safe with Dog being around her.

I hope if it was Fireworks that caused this Dog to attack the Government now might look into banning them and limiting the use to organised events only.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2007, 03:18 PM
As you all say it could have been any reason but it should not have happened, dogs show signs of fear or illness and a responsible owner will note the change in behaviour. If a responsible adult who had the ability to control the dog was in the room the fatality would not have happened. Lets stop looking for excuses, if we do not learn to understand dog behaviour and control our dogs, all dogs, no matter what breed, will be the subject of control and in the end most people will not be able to own a dog at all.
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-01-2007, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by Pita View Post
As you all say it could have been any reason but it should not have happened, dogs show signs of fear or illness and a responsible owner will note the change in behaviour. If a responsible adult who had the ability to control the dog was in the room the fatality would not have happened. Lets stop looking for excuses, if we do not learn to understand dog behaviour and control our dogs, all dogs, no matter what breed, will be the subject of control and in the end most people will not be able to own a dog at all.
I totally agree that owners would notice a change in a dogs behaviour before hand.

If you notice that your dog is scared, fightend, nervous, ill etc any responsible owner would not of left that dog with a child in the room.

I trust my dogs 100% around my children BUT in the same breath, my children know how to behave around dogs. Even my 5 year old knows to ask me before he greets a dog in public, and I have always taught my children to let the dog smell their hand BEFORE they stroke the dog. My kids have been around dogs from the day they were born, like this girl possibly had.

In a situation like this, there is always a cause to the problem, but without the in's and out's to the whole event, we will never know who is to blame.
Tee
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-01-2007, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by teenytiny View Post
It could of been a Chihauhaua, at the end of the day a child has died.

I clicked the link, saw the heading, and haven't read the rest of the story - I couldn't. I have a 5 year old child and I just can't begin to imagine what the family must be going through.

It comes to no suprise to me that this was a Pitbull/Pitbull type dog involved. I have expressed my opinions about this breed in other posts. Although stated Pitbulls are an excellent breed to have with children, I've never agreed, and the Pitbull is probably the 1 and only breed out there I can honestly say - hand on heart - that I will never trust 100%.

Although Pitbulls are a banned breed here in the U.K, there are still many of them, and Pitbull crosses about. I know of a few in my area alone.

A very shocking story
That poor lil girl
What does the breed have to do with anything? Do you think that a labrador or other breed that is not reported couldn't do the same thing? I feel sorry for the child and their family. The main thing is that they've lost a child, not what breed the dog was.
Page 3 of 32 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »