Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2006, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by AllBreeds View Post
Getting a pup from a breeder does not guarantee the dog will be healthy and have a good temperament. If this is important to you, you'd be better off getting an adult rescue dog that has been thoroughly vet checked and behaviour checked
Rubbish!A good reputable breeder will only breed from health tested,temperamently sound sound stock,you cannot be sure of this with a rescue dog.
There are no guarenntee's no, but the majority of people after a certain breed that know what they are looking for would choose a reputable breeder.
Vet checked is also different to testing for genetic hereditary health conditions.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-11-2006, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I can only assume why owners would send their dogs to a rescue centre instead of returning the dog back to the breeder, but I would guess that a lot of it shame and not wanting to admit they couldn't cope/made the wrong decision/couldn't be bothered any more.
I don't think so because all the good rescues will question the owner and give them a hard time, hopefully insuring they won't make the same mistake again.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

13-11-2006, 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by Zoundz View Post
nonsense.

xx
Of course it is there is no such thing as a healthy dog with good temperament in rescue now is there!
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

13-11-2006, 04:29 PM
There are good and bad breeders just as there are good and bad rescue centres. And"All Breeds" I feel with the attitude you are taking you will not encourage anyone to go for a rescue dog by forcing your views down their throats we are all entitled to an opinion and that it all it is an opinion. You see it one way and we see it another and like some of the others I find much of what you have posted offensive. You are not right and the people who disagree with you wrong you are of course like us all entitled to an opinion but that it all it is an opinion not a fact.
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-11-2006, 04:30 PM
Getting a pup from a breeder does not guarantee the dog will be healthy and have a good temperament. If this is important to you, you'd be better off getting an adult rescue dog that has been thoroughly vet checked and behaviour checked
So is that why when a relative of mine (naming no names or specific rescue organisations) adopted a Afghan Hound cross from a local shelter, 2 years old, speyed and had been evaluated and deemed good with other pets, children and all that jazz, it ended up severelly biting one of her teenage children as they went to sit down on the sofa one day-leaving this child permanantley scarred and with a gross fear of dogs?
Sorry but you know the temperament, behaviour and all about the dog when you have brought from a reputable breeder and had the dog from a pup as A) You know that any breeding stock would have had to be of impeccable *sp* temperament in order to be breeding dogs and B)You know the temperament/charcter (usually) as you have brought that dog up from a young pup-so it is how you've brought it up, therefore any problems are from you.

Like Zounds, i wouldn't touch your rescue shelter due mainly to such ill informed views being held by people running/working in/at it.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2006, 04:31 PM
AllBreeds

I am currently on a waiting list for a Weimaraner bitch pup for very good lines, I will have to wait untill AT LEAST 2008 for her as the waiting list is that long.

I want to show her, I want her from 7-8 weeks old and I know she will have been reared with children and cats and other dogs of other breeds, and that she will fit in with my family.

I know that being a Weimaraner, how big she will grow, how muscular she will get, how much excercise she will need and what her general character and traits are likely to be like.

I have already met her parents. I am satisfied with their temperaments, health checks and looks, build, how they are made up, e.t.c, and that they should give some beautiful babies, and a previous litter has shown this already.

Their breeders will take a dog back at any age, and be there for 24/h support, for life.

I have a 3 year old son, who will then be five, and they will home a pup to me.

I know how to show a Weimaraner, I know people in the show circle, and I have a great time doing this. I really want to show her hence why I am spending so much time and effort now, to make sure I get the right girl for showing, work and family pet.

As I am showing her, I need her to have papers, Obviously.

If you can find me such a dog, from a rescue, I would glady get one from you, but I know you can't, there is no way I would find such a pup in rescue, so rescue is not for me. I don't feel guilty I know ion the future I am likely to re-home another rescue, but for the forseeable future, I will be going to a breeder.

Do you think people should stop showing? Becaus ethere is no way you can get a show dog from rescue as they don't tend to give papers, unless you go to breed specific, and then you have to twist some arms to get them, be lucky enough they are good enough to show, and not neutered!
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-11-2006, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by nissanmad View Post
Rubbish!A good reputable breeder will only breed from health tested,temperamently sound sound stock,you cannot be sure of this with a rescue dog
If your gonna take tone!! You obviously don't have a clue
Just because the parents of a dog are healthy and temperament sound does not mean the pups will be too.

If an adult rescue dog has been properly temperament tested and health checked you can be sure.
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2006, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
In answer to this - firstly there are pedigree dogs in rescue already - thats why there are so many breed specific rescues and they will be temperament assessed within homes with kids, cats etc. Also you seem to be implying that rescues will just let any dog go to anybody without sort of insight into the dogs requirements, again not true just as there may be reputable breeders there are also very good rescues who ensure that the wrong dog will not go to the wrong people.

Again you seem to be implying that people who go through rescue havent put any thought into having a dog and just want one because its cute! Sorry but I dont think thats the case most people wanting a rescue will have thought long and hard just as anyone hopefully wanting a dog from a breeder. Again most rescues will not allow you to have a dog without some sort of home check and ensuring you know as much about the dog and their requirements as any breeder! Im sure your breeder would also be offended that you assume she lets any of her rescue dogs go to people because they think they're cute.

See I find it offensive when people assume all rescue dogs will have problems, bad temperatments and cant be trusted. I find it unbelievable that people think there are no pedigree dogs in rescue, Ive got 2! (however in my breed there are specific problems but thats another arguement). I also find it upsetting when people imply that you can turn up to any rescue and pick up a dog regardless without there being any checks or thought going into it.

Rescues have a hard enough time caring and saving dogs without this sort of misinformation being spread, there are thousands of very very dedicated people out there trying so damn hard to get these dogs into perfect homes for little or no thanks.
I totally agree with you that there are good rescues as well as bad I appologise if you thought I was trying to run down rescues and people who work dam hard and do a great job as I have said in another post I believe these people deserve a medal, and I appologise that wasnt my intention! unfortunatly as Im at work right now and had to answer phone I did not have chance to write that I do not belive the majority of rescues dont check carefully enough or that the majority of people getting a rescue dog have not researched before getting a puppy. I was just saying I know of a number of people who have done this and of rescues that dont do good enough checks! When my parents got their recent rescue lab they had no home check at all the rescue seemed to just want rid of the dog as soon as possible! This kind of rescue only makes the problem worse for these dogs as they may end up keep being returned or going to unsuitable owners!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

13-11-2006, 04:33 PM
How can a vet assess the temperament of any dog with regards to behaviour or health without having known its parentage in the first place.
It is a lottery however you do it but by being able to meet Parents or at least one and Brothers or Sisters from breeders you get an idea of their temperaments and also the ages they have survived too.
Rescues do a great job but I don't think you are putting them over in a very good light.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-11-2006, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
So is that why when a relative of mine (naming no names or specific rescue organisations) adopted a Afghan Hound cross from a local shelter, 2 years old, speyed and had been evaluated and deemed good with other pets, children and all that jazz, it ended up severelly biting one of her teenage children as they went to sit down on the sofa one day-leaving this child permanantley scarred and with a gross fear of dogs?
This could happen with any dog whether it's from a breeder or not
Page 7 of 39 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 > Last »