Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2006, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by AllBreeds View Post
If you genuinely love dogs you'd help rescue not breed and sell.
I am sorry but that statement is tosh! Would you please answer my question regarding dogs that are bred for work and who are sold to working homes or people who wish to show their dogs, so buy a show quality pup? Do you feel that all breeders should stop breeding completely?

Dogs are my life. I have had one rescue and two from breeders. It is MY choice. I am an excellent dog owner, and put my dogs before everything else, none of my dogs will ever end up in a rescue centre ... so why should I be made to feel guilty for buying from reputable breeders?
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-11-2006, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by Nicci_L View Post
Obviously people with young families don't always get the chance or want a dog from rescue because the safety of kids should always be paramount, some rescue dogs are not suitable with young families simply because of the kind of abused backgrounds they may have come from.
The majority of dogs in rescue haven't been mistreated they're just no longer wanted
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2006, 01:46 PM
I wasn't talking of general rescue's with Staffords,i was talking about Stafford Rescue, in general they will not rehome where there is another dog on the premises.We enquired a few years ago about a stafford bitch from Stafford rescue and because we already had a dog we were refused even though we knew the breed
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-11-2006, 01:47 PM
Not all rescue centres are the same, you just have to keep trying until you find the right dog, I know a few centres that are happy to home with children, people who work fulltime etc
IMO breeders who have homes lined up are still adding to the unwanted dog problem, for every home they use an already unwanted dog is missing out. Not all of their pups will stay in the same home for life and although they may say they'll take their pups back how many genuinely mean this, how many will take their pup back 6 years later when their pup is now dog aggressive and not good with strangers - I think not. How many breeders will insist on their pups being neutered and will enforce this taking the dog back or owner to court if they refuse. How many breeders keep an eye on their dogs for life and carryout pre and post homevisits.
If you genuinely love dogs you'd help rescue not breed and sell.
That last statement is ridiculous-seriouslly, it is just gonna stir up trouble because its offensive, insulting and ridiculous!! Rescue's aren't allways suitable for people-people with kids, people with other pets etc etc. I know if i introduced an adult dog.cat into my house of established home it wouldn't work...i can't explain why, but it just wouldn't. Puppies/kittens from rescue's-i would love too, however when looking for a kitten from a rescue shelter i got turned down because i had terriers who were, and i quote, "bred to destroy" despite them living with cats already, and also the fact there was a main road 'near' our cul-de-sac, despite we already had cats who go out and are fine. It just doesn't allways work, therefore you can't judge people who don't go down the rescue route.
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2006, 01:48 PM
ive been looking/researching for 3 odd years now and we still havent got one!

i think some people just go and buy them without knowing whats coming, or buy them as presents to keep the kids quiet! but there like kids they needs lots of work, and i dont think alot of people know this?

maybe people considering buying should be sent a booklet and/or dvd? all about it first? or soemthing like that? i know lots still wont read it, but it might put some people off who dont understand the responablilty?

they dont stay cute pups for ever, and i dont think alot of people know that kids get bored with animals, i remember my rabbits i cried for months, then i got them, then i was bored with them and my family looked after them....im glad they didnt get me a dog when i was younger because the same thing would have happened!!!
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-11-2006, 01:50 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I am sorry but that statement is tosh! Would you please answer my question regarding dogs that are bred for work and who are sold to working homes or people who wish to show their dogs, so buy a show quality pup?
If you want to work your dog s/he doesn't have to come directly from a breeder. A lot of rescues will home to people who work providing they've made provisions so that the dogs not home alone all day. How many breeders will only sell their pups to those who want to show them? The majority are just pet homes
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-11-2006, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Puppies/kittens from rescue's-i would love too, however when looking for a kitten from a rescue shelter i got turned down because i had terriers who were, and i quote, "bred to destroy" despite them living with cats already, and also the fact there was a main road 'near' our cul-de-sac, despite we already had cats who go out and are fine. It just doesn't allways work, therefore you can't judge people who don't go down the rescue route.
Not all rescues are the same I know many rescues that wouldn't see the above as a problem. IMO you keep trying and don't let one rescue put you off.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2006, 02:02 PM
If you want to work your dog s/he doesn't have to come directly from a breeder. A lot of rescues will home to people who work providing they've made provisions so that the dogs not home alone all day. How many breeders will only sell their pups to those who want to show them? The majority are just pet homes
Sorry, you must have mistaken what I meant. A few examples may help:-

My OH is a shepherd, he therefore buys collie pups and older, trained collies from reputable breeders of such dogs - he needs to know where his dogs are coming from, their history, lineage and the likelihood they will make top class working sheepdogs.

My friend and her husband work for the Game Conservancy Trust and need to be able to rely on their team of gundogs for their every day work - they buy from reputable breeders of strong working line springers, pointers and GWPs.

The police generally buy strong working-drive GSD pups from reputable breeders of such dogs. They do take in donations from pet homes and also from rescue centres but unfortunately most of these dogs don't make the high grade that is required of working police dogs.

Do you now see what I mean?
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-11-2006, 02:10 PM
Not all rescues are the same I know many rescues that wouldn't see the above as a problem. IMO you keep trying and don't let one rescue put you off.
Thats funny...RSPCA, CPL etc all said more or less the same thing, found kitten now anyway.
I have nothing against rescues..love rescues, BUT they aren't allways suitable.
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-11-2006, 02:11 PM
I really don't think it matters where the dog comes from, in terms of breeder or shelter.

Yes, my own preference is to rescue dogs from shelters, but I know I shall never be showing my dogs, never entering them into obedience trials, and so forth.

Though, before people send me hate-mail, getting a dog from a rescue centre does not mean they can't be shown, win obedience trials, etc.

It's just that a potential rough diamond isn't an issue for me really, or not enough of an issue to dissuade me from rescuing. And hey, if truth be known, it makes me feel good.

But wherever they come from, if they're loved, they're loved.
Page 3 of 39 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »