jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2005, 10:00 PM

Urgent Help Needed(mice)

WE NEED SOME ADVICE
HUBBY JUST WENT OUT TO THE AVIARY AND FOUND THESE

SADLY IT SEEMS MUM WAS CAUGHT IN A TRAP
ANYONE GOT ANY ADVICE ON WHAT WE CAN FEED THEM ON??
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-09-2005, 10:19 PM
Found this info for you jaks

Answer
We were given two baby mice to look after that had been abandoned - they were about four days old, only just had fur and their eyes were tight shut!

The vet had no ideas... but on the INternet someone recommended kitten formula - our local pet shop didn't have that but they did have 'Lactol' which is powdered puppy milk formula.

we mixed it to be fairly weak and fed it to the mice by holding them in the palm of our hands and trickling the milk over our curled finger joints so that it ran down towards the babies. They licked it off our hands and this was a lot easier than trying to fit a syringe in their mouths (risking choking them or hurting them).

They were fed like this every four hours night and day for two weeks and moved then onto solids such as brown bread soaked in the formula. After that they had a range of other dried foods mixed with fresh food such as sweetcorn, fresh peas, raspberries, blueberries and nuts. Don't be tempted to rush them onto the solid food until you feel that they are hungry enough and ready to take it.

Answer
3 days ago I rescued a baby mouse from being thrown in the trash can. I have been feeding it kitten formula every 2 hours. I am using a little glass tube that I found at work. It looks like one that a nurse uses when she pricks your finger to take a tiny blood sample. So far he looks healthy...

Answer
I have been feeding my little "Fuzzy" on pronutro diluted in milk and water mixture. I fed him with a syringe. On the end of the syringe I used a rubber valve from a bicycle puncture kit and it worked very well. His eyes are open now and he still likes the stoggy pronutro.

Answer
Abouta week ago, i saved a mouse from my dog and we've been feeding it warm milk diluted with water, he just licks the milk off of my fingers. we do this just before we go to school, when we get back, at supper time, and just before bed time during school days. on the weekends, we feed him around every 4 hours. he's doing really good. We've got him in a bir cage and he sleeps in a sea shell with fluff in it. when we are not around to feed him, we just put a bit of milk in a shallow sea shell so that if he falls in he can just climb out againand he wont drown.

Answer
on a friday night my friend and i were playing basketball when i noticed a baby wild mouse lying in the grass. we then took "him" inside and wrapped a thin but warm cloth around him. after a while we gave him some milk formula which included soy milk, oil, a bit of water, and some protien powder. now Sam(the baby mouse) is a 2 year old health mouse that lives with me(ayla) in a cage in my room. soon i will send him off to the wild so he can be free and mate with all the other mice.

Answer
A couple of days ago my fiancee went to the pet store to get some pinky mice to actually feed our gecko! We had never done this before and had only fed him crickets. We decided that we couldn't do it and the gecko would have to stick to his regular diet. We couldn't just let them die so we have been feeding them warmed Pediasure for children and warmed Pedialyte- also for children. We alternate this process about every 4 hours or so. They are ina little plastic box that is filled with fluffy cotton balls. I have also found that they like to lie in a sock. I took a wool sock and made it like a little bowl and then put the babies down inside there. I don't feed them at nightime and they seem to do fine. I'm not sure if I am doing things right or not but they seem to be ok. I also get them out and place them on my belly to get them warm since when I pick them up it seems their little bodies are kinda cold. Their eyes are not open and they have very little hair.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2005, 10:19 PM
I don't know Jackie but when I had to hand feed our guinea pigs when their mother died when they were five days old I got some Lactol from the petshop. I think that you can use very weak powdered baby milk. We fed our guinea pigs with a syringe although I read after that we shouldn't have done this because you can flood their lungs with milk and kill them if you aren't careful. I think you are meant to put a bit of milk on bread and let them suck it off the bread.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-09-2005, 10:23 PM
BE CAREFULL JAKS

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. Wild mice carry diseases like Hanta Virus. Make sure that you clean their cages often and wash your hands. Do not allow droppings to become dry because it's when the droppings dust gets in the air and people breathe it that they get sick. Hanta Virus is not harmful to mice but LETHAL TO HUMANS. Be very careful!
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2005, 10:24 PM
thank you very very much leo and foxy
will get some lactol in the morning
really can,t let these little ones die
even hubby said so too
we are plaqued with mice having so many avaries but these are too small to harm
and one has a deformed foot too
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2005, 10:27 PM
Originally Posted by leo
BE CAREFULL JAKS

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. Wild mice carry diseases like Hanta Virus. Make sure that you clean their cages often and wash your hands. Do not allow droppings to become dry because it's when the droppings dust gets in the air and people breathe it that they get sick. Hanta Virus is not harmful to mice but LETHAL TO HUMANS. Be very careful!
thank you very much for that leo
we are gonna put them in the shed in a container and feed them out there and see how they get on
Stephanie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2005, 08:33 AM
aww bless.

Good luck Jackie
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2005, 08:54 AM
Hi Jackie, don't know about baby mice, but with very young hoglets, after feeding you have to gently 'massage' their tummies to simulate the washing of a mother. It is this 'massaging' that stimulates them to go to the toilet, they don't 'go' other wise.
TamT
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-09-2005, 09:25 AM
Wow Jackie, you really do take on everything.

Good luck!
sutty
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2005, 09:27 AM
yeah i had to do the same thing with a litter of 3 hour old puppies, their mum kept attacking them and had killed one, so we rushed off to the vets and got some lactol and used baby bottles with tiny teats, the vet said to gently rub their bottoms with cotton wool soaked in warm water as thsi stimulates them to go, or they will become bloated and die, one puppy was so greedy, she choked and i had to rush her to the vets and they had to drain her lungs while under anaisthetic, good luck with the babies.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >