Our sister sites
Our sister sites
celli
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-10-2012, 12:36 PM

X Box games

Yes, I am an ageing gamer
I don't play that many games now a days, but I occasionally feel the need for some mindless violence.
Today, I have that need

Any other gamers out there care to recommend ?

I prefer, shoot em up style, and if there are zombies in there, so much the better, I do enjoy a good horror game, hate sport type games. Although saying that, I did enjoy Lego Pirates of the Caribbean.
Also enjoyed.
Halo
Left 4 Dead
Dead Rising
Dead Space
Orange Box
Gears of War
CoD
Bioshock
MadisonSale
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-10-2012, 12:47 PM
resident evil sounds like it would be up your street 1 and 2 are the best out of the 5.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2012, 01:03 PM
Some excellent choices there!

Can thoroughly recommend Borderlands. It is an RPG style first person shooter with a unique animation style. There is TONS of weaponry to choose from (finding ammo is not an issue unlike in many other games), the game is pretty long, the enemies are great and there is lots to do. You can pick up the Game of the Year addition pretty cheaply now and it comes with all the add on packs. I am just about to start the second Borderlands.

The next game I'll suggest is possibly not your kind of thing if you like first person shooters but I'll suggest it anyway; Skyrim. Think Lord of the Rings meets Dungeons and Dragons visually and that gives you a good idea of what to expect. Superb storylines (there is a main storyline and hundreds of side quests), stunning graphics, true open world gameplay where you do literally whatever you want, great mixed choice of weaponry (everything but guns!). I know many people who are not typically fans of role playing style games who have loved Skyrim.

Finally I have to recommend one of my favorites, the Mass Effect series. It is a third person shooter with RPG elements (the choices you make when interacting with other characters influence the outcome of the game). Think Halo/Gears of War but in space with a much better story and character development.
celli
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-10-2012, 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by MadisonSale View Post
resident evil sounds like it would be up your street 1 and 2 are the best out of the 5.
I did wonder about RE, I tried one, something about a room ?, but it just got on my nerves, I seem to remember something about memory loss in it ? I didn't have the patience, but might try the ones you suggest, I suppose they'll be quite cheap by now.

Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Some excellent choices there!

Can thoroughly recommend Borderlands. It is an RPG style first person shooter with a unique animation style. There is TONS of weaponry to choose from (finding ammo is not an issue unlike in many other games), the game is pretty long, the enemies are great and there is lots to do. You can pick up the Game of the Year addition pretty cheaply now and it comes with all the add on packs. I am just about to start the second Borderlands.

The next game I'll suggest is possibly not your kind of thing if you like first person shooters but I'll suggest it anyway; Skyrim. Think Lord of the Rings meets Dungeons and Dragons visually and that gives you a good idea of what to expect. Superb storylines (there is a main storyline and hundreds of side quests), stunning graphics, true open world gameplay where you do literally whatever you want, great mixed choice of weaponry (everything but guns!). I know many people who are not typically fans of role playing style games who have loved Skyrim.

Finally I have to recommend one of my favorites, the Mass Effect series. It is a third person shooter with RPG elements (the choices you make when interacting with other characters influence the outcome of the game). Think Halo/Gears of War but in space with a much better story and character development.
I think I may have played Borderlands a bit at my nephews, he raved about it but I kept getting lost

I have been tempted by Skyrim, I have played Fable, is it anything like that ?.
I wasn't very sure if there wasn't a lot of faffing about in it so i didn't get round to buying.

Mass Effect...I have on loan !... I didn't finish it as my boy Spud died and I lost interest in just about everything. But, I'm going to give it another shot, thanks for reminding me
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2012, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by celli View Post
I did wonder about RE, I tried one, something about a room ?, but it just got on my nerves, I seem to remember something about memory loss in it ? I didn't have the patience, but might try the ones you suggest, I suppose they'll be quite cheap by now.

I think I may have played Borderlands a bit at my nephews, he raved about it but I kept getting lost

I have been tempted by Skyrim, I have played Fable, is it anything like that ?.
I wasn't very sure if there wasn't a lot of faffing about in it so i didn't get round to buying.

Mass Effect...I have on loan !... I didn't finish it as my boy Spud died and I lost interest in just about everything. But, I'm going to give it another shot, thanks for reminding me
When I first played Borderlands I felt a bit 'lost' with it all, too. You do pick it up really quickly though and when you get to grips with everything the game flows really well. Definitely worth a go.

Skyrim is along the lines of Fable but is so much better - no comparison in my opinion! it is a role playing game so yes there is faffing but the characters and quests have real depth to them so it is not boring faffing. Even if RPG games are not your thing, the combat is superb. You can have fun in Skyrim just roaming around the wilderness slaying dragons. The open world game play means that every hill, fort, mountain, etc., is accessible and no part of the environment is just for background....as far as I am aware this is one of the only games to boast this.
lynnb
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-10-2012, 11:04 PM
I'm an older gamer too 54 and still love shooting zombies.
I'v played
All lara croft
Silent hill
Resident evil
James bond
metal gear solid
My gransons quite proud of the fact that his nanna knows and has played all these games
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-10-2012, 06:51 AM
Halo 4's out in the run-up to Christmas.

Skyrim - not my cup of tea (considering I like RPGs as well - I don't tend to have the time to dump into them these days) but my husband's just put a huge amount of playtime into it.

Think there's a new Resident Evil out in the next few weeks as well (can you tell my husband's been working on me for his Christmas list) but I don't know what format that one's coming out on. His theory is that generally the even number ones in that series are good and the odd numbered ones are awful.

Mass Effect - my friend is still fuming beyond belief about the ending to number 3 (they led you to believe that all the choices you'd made through the entire trilogy would impact on the ending and basically copped out and did different coloured explosions on an almost identical cutscene) - but they're good games with a mixture of story and shooting stuff (and should all be pretty cheap second-hand now). His ranting about the endings for weeks on end was pretty funny at the time though.

I see you've got Orange Box down... Portal2? Can never get enough of Glados (yes, hubby finally managed to get one of their work systems named some stupid name in order to be able to condense it down to have the acronym Glados)
celli
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-10-2012, 10:52 AM
When I first played Borderlands I felt a bit 'lost' with it all, too. You do pick it up really quickly though and when you get to grips with everything the game flows really well. Definitely worth a go.

Skyrim is along the lines of Fable but is so much better - no comparison in my opinion! it is a role playing game so yes there is faffing but the characters and quests have real depth to them so it is not boring faffing. Even if RPG games are not your thing, the combat is superb. You can have fun in Skyrim just roaming around the wilderness slaying dragons. The open world game play means that every hill, fort, mountain, etc., is accessible and no part of the environment is just for background....as far as I am aware this is one of the only games to boast this.
Hmm, ok, you've convinced me on Skyrim. I quite enjoyed the first Fable, but got fed up on the second, I don't think I even finished it.

Originally Posted by lynnb View Post
I'm an older gamer too 54 and still love shooting zombies.
I'v played
All lara croft
Silent hill
Resident evil
James bond
metal gear solid
My gransons quite proud of the fact that his nanna knows and has played all these games
Lol, you've got the drop on me, I'm 46, my nephew despairs at my playing style as I'm a bit kamikazie, I think I'd be classed as " cannon fodder "

Originally Posted by dizzi View Post
Halo 4's out in the run-up to Christmas.

Skyrim - not my cup of tea (considering I like RPGs as well - I don't tend to have the time to dump into them these days) but my husband's just put a huge amount of playtime into it.

Think there's a new Resident Evil out in the next few weeks as well (can you tell my husband's been working on me for his Christmas list) but I don't know what format that one's coming out on. His theory is that generally the even number ones in that series are good and the odd numbered ones are awful.

Mass Effect - my friend is still fuming beyond belief about the ending to number 3 (they led you to believe that all the choices you'd made through the entire trilogy would impact on the ending and basically copped out and did different coloured explosions on an almost identical cutscene) - but they're good games with a mixture of story and shooting stuff (and should all be pretty cheap second-hand now). His ranting about the endings for weeks on end was pretty funny at the time though.

I see you've got Orange Box down... Portal2? Can never get enough of Glados (yes, hubby finally managed to get one of their work systems named some stupid name in order to be able to condense it down to have the acronym Glados)
I do indeed have Portal 2...brilliant game, I think I've played it 3 times now. Wish they'd do another Orange Box, those pumpkin headed zombie things gave me the willy's .

I noticed there's another Halo coming, I'll certainly be getting it and just hope it'll be a return to form. I think the first one was the best, the others seemed to lose some of the humour of the first. The wee Covenant grunts were hilarious " can you see him ? " " enemy !!! ".
Still waiting on Halo the movie .
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2012, 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by celli View Post
Hmm, ok, you've convinced me on Skyrim. I quite enjoyed the first Fable, but got fed up on the second, I don't think I even finished it.

Lol, you've got the drop on me, I'm 46, my nephew despairs at my playing style as I'm a bit kamikazie, I think I'd be classed as " cannon fodder "

I do indeed have Portal 2...brilliant game, I think I've played it 3 times now. Wish they'd do another Orange Box, those pumpkin headed zombie things gave me the willy's .

I noticed there's another Halo coming, I'll certainly be getting it and just hope it'll be a return to form. I think the first one was the best, the others seemed to lose some of the humour of the first. The wee Covenant grunts were hilarious " can you see him ? " " enemy !!! ".
Still waiting on Halo the movie .
Skyrim was about £24.99 on Amazon last time I checked so pretty reasonable.

I am looking forward to the new Halo too. I dunno if you played Halo: Combat Evolved, the new remake of the original? that is worth a go if not.

Red Dead Redemption is also a good one. I never finished because I got lazy with it but it is a great game. Country and western 3rd person shooter in open world gameplay....like Skyrim but a Western version with guns.

I am also slowly working through Batman: Arkham Asylum which I am really enjoying. A must if you are a fan.
celli
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-10-2012, 01:11 PM
Skyrim was about £24.99 on Amazon last time I checked so pretty reasonable.

I am looking forward to the new Halo too. I dunno if you played Halo: Combat Evolved, the new remake of the original? that is worth a go if not.

Red Dead Redemption is also a good one. I never finished because I got lazy with it but it is a great game. Country and western 3rd person shooter in open world gameplay....like Skyrim but a Western version with guns.

I am also slowly working through Batman: Arkham Asylum which I am really enjoying. A must if you are a fan.
That is a good price, thanks for that .

No I didn't get Combat Evolved, dunno why, I've even got ODST there, which was a load of pants, despite Nathan Fillion doing one of the voices, I'll have a look for that too. So is it just the same story line ?

Played Red Dead Redemption, that was pretty good, hated the killing yeti's though
I'm such a sap, I got killed so many times on Black Op's in the lab trying not to hit the animals ( why couldn't they be set free !! )

Now I do fancy Arkham, lots of great idea's, cheers chaps
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >