Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-05-2012, 01:46 PM

Unwell young rabbit

One of the wee mini lops we acquired has been a bit perky since Friday, bad runny poo and very messy bottom. Originally thought it wa dietry but turns out after a hundred n fifty beta emergency visit today it may be some sort of infection, she's had antibiotics and is still very subdued. Keeping back end clean but just wondered if anyone else had any advice? Keeping inside and warm as had very low temp a trying to ensure is eatin and drinking etc but just worried were going to loose her really. If I maintained a livestock as opposed to pet mentality It would seem extortion to pay that much when said rabbit was 15 pound but, I am a soft touch and couldn't if waited to see what happened. Just would lie said rabbit to pick up and be able to go back out with her hutch mate !
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-05-2012, 02:47 PM
aww, wee soul. Hope she picks up soon Luke. No advice really, I'm sure the vet has told you all you need to know.
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-05-2012, 03:39 PM
Not looking fantastic at all, think this little one may be slipping away. Very sad indeed, I'd forgot how sensitive young hoppy things can be.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2012, 03:40 PM
Sorry to hear this is infection. It's true most diarrhoea in rabbits is due to eating too much green stuff / incorrect diet.

I hope it picks up. Certainly keep it away from the other one until it is better.
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-05-2012, 03:42 PM
Automatically assumed it was diet reasoning, vet dismissed this as said it would of passed within a day or so of no greens etc. Seems to think it may be something more to do with the rabbit itself, and it's dietry system not being quite developed enough or something along those lines. It's nothing transmittable as they examined samples etc, but still.
We shall wait and see.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2012, 03:42 PM
Oh dear. Our posts crossed. I've had several rabbits over the years and it seems they don't really get ill and get over it a lot. They often get ill and never recover. Especially if they are young.

I've been in the same situation as you with a guinea pig. Went to the emergency Sunday vet (knowing really that it was hopeless but a 12 yr old daughter was involved and she wanted a miracle).

Spent a small fortune and still lost the GP. At least my daughter could see I did all I could.
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-05-2012, 03:48 PM
I used to breed and exhibit, lightly, rabbits and guinea pigs some years back...I experienced a few young ones going downhill very quick. That's my concern right now, I personally feel she's given up entirely and will just slip away.
Speaking to the person who we aquired them from, friend of a friend, when originally at their small holding for chickens !, they also agreed it sounded not too bright an outcome. Their suggestion was from a purely stock keeping point of view, which I've already been told by OH I can not under any circumstances consider. I do wonder if this little one will even make it to tonight, not an awful lot I can do now as don't want to mollycoddle her too much n stress her out. She has food and water, and safety, has had some antibiotic jabs and adminstered orally...it's all up to her to now.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-05-2012, 04:00 PM
Poor little rabbit.
Lulusmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-05-2012, 04:51 PM
What a shame, poor li'l bun. The heat probably does not help. Hope she picks up soon.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2012, 07:37 AM
I hope your little rabbit made it through the night.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >