Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2012, 04:59 PM
Sorry to hear this.

I shut mine away a few weeks back plus our cockeral but I didn't see that the door wasn't full shut, a fox took All except one, well I say took, all the bodies were all over the garden, 9 just wiped out I was sicken by what I saw when I went out, it had dug under the run.

Only Mrs Bluie survived and it was touch and go with her for 48 hours as she was in shock, since Pat has steel meshed the whole of the bottom of the run and we have had another 4 to be friends with Bluie. Sad isn't it and devastating
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-04-2012, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by marley123 View Post
sorry to hear this,
if its any conciliation at this time of year they would have been taken to feed pups not just killed for fun
That is the only concilation I have had out of the whole sorry thing, that at least it was for a reason. Not one I like, but do understand

So sorry to hear that you have gone through this recently as well Helen and Stevie, I don't know about you, but I become very attached to 'my girls' and their wee daft personalities. I feel I've let them down big time. But as moobli says, lesson learnt, and after speaking to hubby we will get some more, bu no more free ranging unless someone is in the garden with them.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2012, 07:17 PM
So sorry xxx
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2012, 07:27 PM
Sorry for your loss. Used to have avairies when lived at parents & u do get very attached. x
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2012, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by alexgirl73 View Post
That is the only concilation I have had out of the whole sorry thing, that at least it was for a reason. Not one I like, but do understand

So sorry to hear that you have gone through this recently as well Helen and Stevie, I don't know about you, but I become very attached to 'my girls' and their wee daft personalities. I feel I've let them down big time. But as moobli says, lesson learnt, and after speaking to hubby we will get some more, bu no more free ranging unless someone is in the garden with them.
I know how you feel, I was extremely attached to mine and had them for some time, especially the cockeral who was a baby when I had him. I spent a small fortune keeping Bluie alive as I felt I owed it to her, thankfully it paid off and she is back to laying again now xx
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-04-2012, 07:46 PM
Unfortunatley,if you keep poultry its envitable you'll get hit by foxes at some point.I've been done twice.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2012, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Unfortunatley,if you keep poultry its envitable you'll get hit by foxes at some point.I've been done twice.
awwww thats sad
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-04-2012, 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
awwww thats sad
There isnt much you can do about suburban foxes to be honest without making your garden a fortress.They can dig under fences and can easily scale 6ft ones with ease.Annoying thing is they usually kill all the chooks then take only one.Like i said though-you have to accept getting the occasional visit from Charlie when you keep poultry.

The really odd thing though is how to dispose of dead birds.Legally,you cannot bury them in your garden incase they harbour disease and only cremation or the undignifed wheelie bin is legal!
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2012, 08:09 PM
So sorry to hear this. We did the exact same thing last year - foegot to clise the barn door and every chicken bar two gone in one fell swoop. Fox even got my favourite cockerel
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2012, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
There isnt much you can do about suburban foxes to be honest without making your garden a fortress.They can dig under fences and can easily scale 6ft ones with ease.Annoying thing is they usually kill all the chooks then take only one.Like i said though-you have to accept getting the occasional visit from Charlie when you keep poultry.

The really odd thing though is how to dispose of dead birds.Legally,you cannot bury them in your garden incase they harbour disease and only cremation or the undignifed wheelie bin is legal!
Thats the problem your left with and Mr Fox didn't take any of ours he/she just killed them and left them all over the garden
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >