View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mummysnoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-02-2012, 11:35 PM
If she let Gucci, father that many puppies, God know how far and wide the genetic fault has spread.

The SWEDISH have got it right, why can't we? Why cannot stud dogs be monitored so that they cannot interbreed.

Good thing also Puppy Farming was mentioned, but no mention of Designer Dog Breeders, goodness knows what havoc they are causing genetically.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2012, 11:37 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
I agree with this, it was more balanced this time, but I do feel that there needed to be more of a distinction between the show world and pedigree dogs in general. What was the programme about, pedigree dogs or the KC and show dogs? Were the Cavaliers shown suffering from Syringomyelia show bred dogs or just byb dogs? If they were pet dogs then why wasn't that mentioned in a programme about the KC
It showed a show Cav with it's owner who has sired over 30 litters, whose owner knowingly knew the dog had syringomyelia yet continued to breed & show the dog.
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2012, 11:46 PM
IMO the x RSPCA guy needs to learn how to effectively communicate without sounding like he's having an extremist rant, or shut up.

Apart from his inclusion, I'd say this one was much better done than the former.

IMO if pugs, bulldogs etc's issues can't be corrected by breeding within the breed, than outcrossing needs to seriously be considdered, a view I've held for a while.

The amount of litters sired by some dogs is disgraceful.
It's why I've included a clause about stud dog owners understanding the potential negatives of popular sires and not allowing their males to dominate the gene pool, in the code of ethics for a breed club I've been working on.

45% COI! My god.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2012, 11:49 PM
Originally Posted by megan57collies View Post
It touched lightly on Bassetts, showing the Bassett of years ago and the ones that are around now, and saying they should go back to how they were years ago. Other breeds were mentioned and highlighted by photos too.
The bassets shown were dogs of today, one was a working basset & the other a KC/Show/Pet type
Delos
Dogsey Junior
Male 

27-02-2012, 11:51 PM
I've just watched PD2 it was far more balanced this time (for example showing the story on the Dalmatian) though i'm under know illusions that certain bits were highlighted for drama.

I do think the KC have done themselves no favours by refusing to appear by doing this to the general public it just looks like they are not willing to address the issues. I notice on the KC Facebook page they are just wheeling out the standard responses. The KC needs to properly address these issues not just tinker around the edges. If they haven't the power maybe they need to be disbanded and an organisation willing to address the issues should be set up. If other countries can do it why not the U.K?

The thing is there are lots of responsible breeders out there and they are being Tarred with the same brush as everyone else due to the KC's unwillingness to reform in a significant way. Changing the wording in a few breed profiles is not sufficient.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2012, 11:52 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
It showed a show Cav with it's owner who has sired over 30 litters, whose owner knowingly knew the dog had syringomyelia yet continued to breed & show the dog.
That was from the original program & the breeder has stopped showing & breeding

JH as usual only gave half the facts, the 70% was from this quote

In research samples from several international studies, about 90% of cavaliers have CM, and 30% to 70% also have SM
IE 90% of the dogs in the research had CM & between 30% & 70% of them have SM
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2012, 11:54 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Walkon and Glenauld(sp) are both well known breeders from Scotland..
Neither of their sites have comments re PDE1 OR 2. Lots on all the champs they have bred....
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2012, 11:54 PM
Originally Posted by tazer View Post
IMO the x RSPCA guy needs to learn how to effectively communicate without sounding like he's having an extremist rant, or shut up.
First and foremost he is a Vet - perhaps you are lucky and have healthy dogs not affected by hereditary or congenital conditions. He spoke with conviction regarding the health & welfare of pedigree dogs.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2012, 11:56 PM
Just done a quick calculation. Gucci fathered 894 pups. Say that is 10 pups per litter---very roughly. That is at least 80 matings ----thats a lot of money.

rune
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2012, 11:58 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
That was from the original program & the breeder has stopped showing & breeding
Yes I was aware it was footage from the original programme.

I am glad to hear the breeder has stopped showing and breeding this dog
Page 7 of 40 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 > Last »