View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2012, 11:02 PM
The main thing for me was the idea that the KC as it stands has a huge co.flict of interest between breeders and the welfare of dogs. Either take control of these lunatics or create a regulatory body over and above the KC that looks out for the dogs and not the egos of breeders
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2012, 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Problem is we cant ignore the fate of pedigree dogs and just have out mutts - because in the main most non pedigrees are crosses of a couple of pedigree breeds rather than genetically isolated from the pedigrees - so we also have to be concerned about the state of the pedigrees too else our mutts health will be going downhill really fast too
I quite agree, and I did say as much My preference is for mutts but I don't think we ought to wash our hands of pedigree dogs, not at all.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2012, 11:05 PM
Originally Posted by PB&J View Post
I quite agree, and I did say as much My preference is for mutts but I don't think we ought to wash our hands of pedigree dogs, not at all.
didnt mean to make it sound like you thought that - just thinking out loud really about how it is all of our issues whether we have those breeds or not ALL dog owners should be getting outraged and helping in whatever ways are needed to fix these things
mummysnoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-02-2012, 11:18 PM
Originally Posted by hectorsmum View Post
I think it was more informed this time and it showed how some breeders are NOT bothered about the health of their breed.
These people should be named and shamed for their cruelty.

The KC NEED to take more notice of what its doing, to stop this from happening any more.
I thought the two breeders of the Boxers were named, and didn't bother supplying blood samples.
EllesBelles
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-02-2012, 11:22 PM
Originally Posted by mummysnoo View Post
I thought the two breeders of the Boxers were named, and didn't bother supplying blood samples.
They were. And a photograph of them shown, so hopefully people will recognize them.

Their excuses for not supplying samples were pathetic, and it is utterly shocking that they are being so ignorant and playing God with so many dogs lives. She was happy enough for Gucci to father 850 odd puppies, but she won't improve the breed? She's in it for the money, and I hope no one will buy her puppies anymore.

The same can be said for the other Boxer breeder, too.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2012, 11:23 PM
I don't think the kc comment was fair. PDE2 was more balanced than before.

They care about dogs so much, nobody wanted to work late...thought they did repeat clips..but still more balanced...

Should have been on bbc1.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-02-2012, 11:27 PM
Walkon and Glenauld(sp) are both well known breeders from Scotland..
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2012, 11:28 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
I found the programme interesting and informative and for the most part, I agree with what was said.

I particularly agreed with the final point that there should indeed be a national register of all dogs
I agree with this, it was more balanced this time, but I do feel that there needed to be more of a distinction between the show world and pedigree dogs in general. What was the programme about, pedigree dogs or the KC and show dogs? Were the Cavaliers shown suffering from Syringomyelia show bred dogs or just byb dogs? If they were pet dogs then why wasn't that mentioned in a programme about the KC and show bred mutants?

Basically, for me, more transparency is needed from JH in general - she needs to be truthful about the background of all of the dogs in her programmes, rather than omitting information in an attempt to strengthen her point.

Originally Posted by megan57collies View Post
I think this second one was more balanced and did acknowledge what the KC has been doing. But I agree that the KC are not doing enough. The dogs welfare and health should come before the breeders. It would be so easy for the KC to build on what they have already done and now stipulate that all health tests are to be made public and that they will not register any pups unless all known health tests have been done on the parents or proof of "clear by parentage" has been submitted. If any breeders were unhappy about that then they're not good breeders as all tests should be done anyway.
They should also do a follow up on these so called designer dogs (cross breeds) as well. If the original pedigree dogs have health issues, then crossing two problem breeds is just sheer madness. The programme looked at vanity in the ring, just as much happens outside the ring with people wanting dogs that look a certain way. The KC can make a difference within the world of pedigree dogs, the government also need to take a stand to improve what happens outside that, something that the programme only touched on in the last few seconds of the programme.
I agree with this too. Working bred dogs (talking gundogs here) are equally inbred to try and cement better working traits and equally ignored or discarded when disease or genetic ill health rears it's head. If JH is truly about saving pedigree dogs then she needs to focus on this aspect too to be credible IMO. Especially considering the difference in percentage between the amount of working bred Springers born and the amount of show bred Springers born. The same goes for the PFs etc that she mentioned at the end of the programme.

All of the above aside I'm truly ashamed at the breeders who seem to want to bury their heads in the sand and pretend nothing is wrong inspite of claiming to be dog lovers. I'm also proud to belong to those breeders/owners shown in the programme that only want the best for their breeds and continue to strive to better the health of their chosen breed. Perhaps a full programme about these breeders will balance out the PDE programmes a bit? I wait with baited breath!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2012, 11:30 PM
I feel I am personally involved as I have a dog with the Boxer kidney disease. I found a lot of this programme distressing from the point of view of how little has changed - in some circles.

I think the programme itself was well presented

I felt the criticism by someone on here of Mark Evans (vet) a bit unjustified, the vets are after all the ones who are dealing with the backlash of the health issues, they see first hand what is happening with their clients dogs. To any of us personally involved it is our pet, our precious companion that we have to watch suffer and deteriorate, the Vets are probably seeing dozens if not more of affected dogs of different breeds, it's no wonder they feel so passionate....

Dr C had contacted me a few weeks ago to state that the research was unsuccessful as they could not identify the gene responsible, which was very disappointing, all the questions for us, are still unanswered.

When the Scottish Boxer breeder/owner broke down I was crying along with her. Unless you have had a dog with Kidney disease it's impossible to know the wretchedness of the disease, knowing you can do absolutely nothing for them, but watch them deteriorate, to know your dog will never
grow old and all you can do is take one day at a time, you daren't look beyond it

It's all to do with change and those hard fast set old style breeders who don't want or welcome change. I found the
programme sad; and I will silently weep for all the poor dogs affected by hereditary/congenital defects whose
breeders continue to bury their heads in the sand
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2012, 11:34 PM
Think the issue with cav's was that her stud dog (also a show dog being campaigned) was a carrier passing on health issues (serious, serious ones at that)
Page 6 of 40 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »