View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2012, 10:37 PM
Disgusted by those who are putting their own egos over and above the breeds they are supposed to care about. Shame on them.
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2012, 10:38 PM
Makes me wonder if they had a statement ready and just ran with it regardless of what the programe was.
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2012, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by Razcox View Post
I dont like the ex RSPCA vet though as clearly he has a bee in his bonnet about dog shows. He comes across as a zealot and they will never see every side only their own.
I'm afraid I am of the same mind as him but seeing as dog shows are here to stay then I applaud any steps towards improvement, including the acceptance by the KC of Fiona the Dalmatian. The problem is, as was demonstrated in the programme, some breeds are beyond saving, certainly if those at the top continue to pretend nothing is wrong. The state of the Cavaliers and that poor pug made me want to weep. How anybody can try to justify breeding these genetic wrecks is beyond me. I guess that is my problem, I will never understand it, and that is why I will stick to mutts. I am not anti pedigree dog (really!) but the show world completely baffles me.
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2012, 10:44 PM
I thought it was relatively well balanced and made some very valid points. I also think that the working line variations of the breeds shown looked much better and imo nicer than their show counterparts.

I was gobsmacked when they said the boxer throwing out life threatening conditions had sired in the region of 800 pups, that is mental and surely can not do much good for the diversity of the gene pool surely any idiot can see that. Again, disgusted at the Cav breeder that had allowed her dog to be used at stud 26 times after being diagnosed as having a serious inheritory neurological condition, wtf??

I agree some serious overhauling needs to be done and if not by the KC then by a an outside body.

What I do fear like others though is that this will cause more people to jump on the designer breed wagon and what I feel the show failed to highlight is that crossbreeding dogs with issues especially between breeds that share similar health issues is no more likely to eradicate the problems than continuing to badly breed purebreds and just leave you with as many crossbreeds with serious health complications.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2012, 10:49 PM
It must have been pretty fair---no anti comments as yet!

rune
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-02-2012, 10:49 PM
I think breeding should only be done if it betters the breed, by breeding from a dog that is known to be ill/a carrier is disgusting.
They can't call themselves lovers of the breed, just in it for their egos.

I did think it was a more balanced program than before, but there is still so much that needs doing for those poor dogs.

The working basset was lovely.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2012, 10:50 PM
I agree with the KC that is seemed to be mainly a repeat of the first one( well the most shocking bits anyway). Mark Evans gets on my nerves big time - he has issues that's for sure.

I'm sad that people like that awful Ridgeback woman are seen as representatives for her breed and our pastime. I'm sad that the Boxer people in the docu are covering their ears saying 'lalala'. But I'm pleased that this piece of television doesn't reflect the world of pedigree dogs and showing as I know it (in several breeds).

I'm pleased that they interviewed the lady who has 'Fiona' the Dally. She spoke a lot of sense.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-02-2012, 10:53 PM
Walkon and Glenauld need to step up...
Boxer Breed council needs to step up..
Well done again Dr Bruce ,he has been there for all the Boxer health issues..
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-02-2012, 10:54 PM
I'm afraid to a large extent I agreed with the vet. I have no problems as such with dog shows, but as a fun aside to actually owning a dog, not the reason for owning one! There are far too many people out there who only give a damn abut the trophies, rosettes and prestige they earn from showing their animals, not the actual dogs themself. I think that is why increasing numbers of people are becoming anti show, which is a shame really, because they can be great fun from what I've seen. But if the welfare of the dogs could be improved from banning shows and not giving these 'breeders' (and I use that word loosely) a platform to show of their, in the vets words, mutants! then I'm afraid I'd be all for it.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2012, 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by PB&J View Post
I'm afraid I am of the same mind as him but seeing as dog shows are here to stay then I applaud any steps towards improvement, including the acceptance by the KC of Fiona the Dalmatian. The problem is, as was demonstrated in the programme, some breeds are beyond saving, certainly if those at the top continue to pretend nothing is wrong. The state of the Cavaliers and that poor pug made me want to weep. How anybody can try to justify breeding these genetic wrecks is beyond me. I guess that is my problem, I will never understand it, and that is why I will stick to mutts. I am not anti pedigree dog (really!) but the show world completely baffles me.
Problem is we cant ignore the fate of pedigree dogs and just have out mutts - because in the main most non pedigrees are crosses of a couple of pedigree breeds rather than genetically isolated from the pedigrees - so we also have to be concerned about the state of the pedigrees too else our mutts health will be going downhill really fast too

Hopefully it is not too late for some of the breeds, but it all depends on there having been some breeders sitting in the sidelines breeding healthy dogs with no eye on the winning at shows. - or outcrossing to other breeds like the dally, but that can have risks too

oh and a COI of 45%!! omg!
Page 5 of 40 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 > Last »