View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2012, 10:24 PM
As an outsider to the show world it seemed a relatively balanced programme giving positives and negatives but one of things I picked up is the lack of outside legislation , its the breeders who are influencing the KC , and both who are running and judging shows, surely that needs to change to have a bigger impact on the progress already made ?, and no excuse whatsoever for breeding for looks at the detriment of the health of the dog and the suffering that prevails. Major invasive surgery for pugs just to be able to breath properly , surely thats got to stop ?
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2012, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by megan57collies View Post
Agreed, the only bit that angered me. I show my dogs, not for vanity but for a nice day out with people in the same breed I love. The way he came across, he will just anger and alienate people, where all the others in the program had something to say which was worth listening to.
Same here, my dogs are not KC reg but i enjoy going to charity shows and my breed club shows. I love the camping, seeing the dogs from all over the uk, seeing my friends and most of all we all have a good time. Winning is very far down the list.
EllesBelles
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-02-2012, 10:27 PM
I feel quite ill, to be honest.

I'd almost rather Cavs became extinct then kept being bred so poorly. It is so, so heartbreaking to go through, and some of those clips had me in tears.

What I wouldn't give for the power or money to do something about it.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2012, 10:30 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
I think it was very fair. Showed good breeders, explained that some good breeders had been aghast at the last programme. Showed what the KC had done and ended by pointing out that the KC are not in a position to help enough.

The members of the independant committees etc were all in agreement it seems.

Also good that it pointed out that it was more or less a worldwide problem.

rune
Originally Posted by megan57collies View Post
I think this second one was more balanced and did acknowledge what the KC has been doing. But I agree that the KC are not doing enough. The dogs welfare and health should come before the breeders. It would be so easy for the KC to build on what they have already done and now stipulate that all health tests are to be made public and that they will not register any pups unless all known health tests have been done on the parents or proof of "clear by parentage" has been submitted. If any breeders were unhappy about that then they're not good breeders as all tests should be done anyway.
They should also do a follow up on these so called designer dogs (cross breeds) as well. If the original pedigree dogs have health issues, then crossing two problem breeds is just sheer madness. The programme looked at vanity in the ring, just as much happens outside the ring with people wanting dogs that look a certain way. The KC can make a difference within the world of pedigree dogs, the government also need to take a stand to improve what happens outside that, something that the programme only touched on in the last few seconds of the programme.
Agree with both of these comments.

I did not like the first, it was very unbalanced but I felt that this folllow up was balanced and fair and stated facts and truths rather than being all about the sensationalism.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2012, 10:31 PM
I didn't see it,however the kc's response is
Pedigree Dogs Exposed - Three Years On was largely a repeat of the original programme and did not highlight the numerous changes that have been made in the mean time
Angie1966
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-02-2012, 10:32 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Should have been on BBC 1 ...
On a personal note ,i did go look at the pedigres of the boys ..
Paranoid a bit....
I would have done exactly the same!

Words fail me at the contempt I feel for the sorry excuse for breeders that were featured in the programme. They were named and shamed and rightly so.

I feel so so sad for the suffering these poor dogs and their unsuspecting owners have (and continue to) endure. As someone said before, specific health tests must be mandatory depending on the breed.
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2012, 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
I didn't see it,however the kc's response is
I dont think that was a fair comment at all, it was mentioned a fair few times what they had done to improve matters . .
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2012, 10:34 PM
Obviously they are as intransient as always. Thus proving that they are not capable of being the guardians of dogs health.

rune
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2012, 10:35 PM
On the contrary I think they gave fair dues to the moves the kennel club had made and took pains to say the kennel clubs hands were tied despite the best intentions because of a need to keep breeders and breed clubs on side. An argument I have heard 'from the horses mouth' on more than one occasion...

Put more pressure on the breed clubs of a couple of the worst effected breeds and pointed out more needs to be done and something needs to be done on a government level.

I was put off by the very one sided and shock journalistic tone of the first program... Had this one been aired first. I would have been a more ardent supporter!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2012, 10:36 PM
Originally Posted by Razcox View Post
I dont think that was a fair comment at all, it was mentioned a fair few times what they had done to improve matters . .
Yes Im a little confused by their comment cos in the main it showed the KC in not a bad light having made changes but also shifted much of the blaime to the breed clubs
Page 4 of 40 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »