View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

27-02-2012, 10:07 PM
I completely agree with most (if not all) of the criticisms - health and temperament should always come first.

Why do we even have to say that dogs that are suffering from disease should not be bred from? I find that really sad and those that have caused suffering and misery from doing so should be ashamed of themselves.

I would also commend the KC on all of the changes they have made in three years, I think the program didn't give them quite enough credit - but it certainly is keeping the pressure on, and I can see why that's necessary tbh (because dogs are still suffering and the KC has the power to enforce change, and perhaps quicker than they are).

I think the KC should now take lead and get much stricter about dog breeding ethics - it should also reflect that in its motto, to say that it's for dogs first and foremost.

Come on KC - let's show the world we are leaders in animal health and welfare, not culprits.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2012, 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by K'Ehleyr View Post
I didnt watch it but may if it mentioned Bassets, could anyone tell me if it did?
Showed a working basset as a shot in the same screen as a show basset. Pointed out that the working ones were better but would not be acceptable in the show ring.

rune
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2012, 10:09 PM
Overall i thought the programe was more balanced then before and raised some very good points. I have always thought there is a conflict with the KC becauase it relies on money from breeders to create profit. While this is the case then of course they are not going to do anything that will theaten this profit.

I think the dally club should be ashamed of themselves for being so negative about the progress being made and so should the CKS club. I felt so sorry for that boxer breeder as well being let down by two big breeders who hold positions of power in the breed.

I dont like the ex RSPCA vet though as clearly he has a bee in his bonnet about dog shows. He comes across as a zealot and they will never see every side only their own.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2012, 10:09 PM
I think it was more informed this time and it showed how some breeders are NOT bothered about the health of their breed.
These people should be named and shamed for their cruelty.

The KC NEED to take more notice of what its doing, to stop this from happening any more.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

27-02-2012, 10:10 PM
Forgot to say - I agree with the national registration scheme and a govt body to regulate dog breeding, it's long overdue!
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2012, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Forgot to say - I agree with the national registration scheme and a govt body to regulate dog breeding, it's long overdue!
Yep me too, would help with a number of problems inc the designer breeds . . .
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2012, 10:12 PM
Wow - 12 minutes and 2 pages?

Going to go through the notes I took.

These are my notes:
"Ahh no breaks!
Who cares if a ridige pup hasn't got a ridge?
Outlining issues in Cavs.
Positive point about Dallies.
How many breed with diseases?
Seems more about the breed association clubs than the KC.
How fancy are their houses?
Ewwww at the pugs nose.
Ahhh Pointers.
Puppy farms got a mention.."
Ahh no breaks - I realised when I needed a wee... :/
Ridgies - if I remember rightly there is a disease in Ridgebacks that affects the ridge? (Apologies if I am wrong) so why not sell those Ridgies without Ridges onto pet homes or to service dogs?
Cavs are one of the most popular pet dogs in the UK - so I thought Outlining the health issues - the two most dangerous ones was good and informative - if I saw Cavs walking around like the ones on the film - I'd be horrified - I almost cried at those ones.
I thought the positive about taking the Dallies back to pointers then back breeding with dallies was good - and that the KC are backing this, which leads me to the other point about it being more about the breeder association clubs than it is the KC.
The Boxers - how can you be breeding from a dog that may or may not be passing on genes that are killing other dogs? How can you be classed as a breeder? Especially since one male they showed could've mated as many as 149 bitches.
Also how bloody fancy are those houses they showed?
The pugs nose completely disgusted me and whilst I believe it is about bad ownership, the vet did say it was painful to clean daily for the dog.. so really it is a breeding fault.
Then I saw the GWP's and was all Ahhhhhh...
Then she mentioned her looking into BYB - and if people were so upset by PDE1 and this one - I'm sure someone was upset then perhaps it will seem less one sided?

I have to say - this is from an outsiders view. I am not into shows unless they are companion, but I am all for helping a dogs welfare. These are my views and you may or may not disagree. I didn't see the first one. So take it or leave it. This is my opinion and from what I saw although one sided I did think she made some valid points.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2012, 10:14 PM
I found the programme interesting and informative and for the most part, I agree with what was said.

I particularly agreed with the final point that there should indeed be a national register of all dogs
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2012, 10:15 PM
Before I read the thread I will say what I think from just watching it.
I think it was pretty good and quite fair. Said the changes that had been made, pointed out that the KC isnt to blame for everything and breed clubs are responsible for things too
Showd the steps forward but what also needed to be done
There was a mention of health checks before getting puppies, puppy farms and other things
Talked about the rest of the world as well and didnt just focus on show dogs

The pug just made me feel sick, poor wee thing.
and the AMOUNT of puppies that boxer had sired is sickening
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-02-2012, 10:16 PM
Should have been on BBC 1 ...
On a personal note ,i did go look at the pedigres of the boys ..
Paranoid a bit....
Page 2 of 40 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »