Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 12:38 AM
Originally Posted by GSDlover4ever View Post
She is deaf now, she has been for several months. That was the reason she moved to my flat.

Last night she was calling constantly, the worst she has been in fact..... I hope I can get a vet appoitment ASAP.
deaf cats can be very very vocal... and theres nothing u can do about it..so lets hope its something else and easily sorted xx
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 07:48 AM
I hope your golden oldie cat is ok & the vet can get to the bottom of her behavioural changes.

If nothing shows up on the thyroid issues, & any other tests are ok, you may want to consider cognitive dysfunction syndrome (CDS) which seems to becoming more & more prevalent as our cats are livng longer & longer.

Let us know how you get on at the vets & if nothing else shows up, let me know as I have lots of information & experience of dealing with CDS in cats.
GSDlover4ever
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
I hope your golden oldie cat is ok & the vet can get to the bottom of her behavioural changes.

If nothing shows up on the thyroid issues, & any other tests are ok, you may want to consider cognitive dysfunction syndrome (CDS) which seems to becoming more & more prevalent as our cats are livng longer & longer.

Let us know how you get on at the vets & if nothing else shows up, let me know as I have lots of information & experience of dealing with CDS in cats.
I just read up on CDS, and i srngly believe my previous dog had that condition..... In the last few years of her life, she had no idea who I was...... even though I did lots of things for her through out her life. She new who my mum was though. I allways thought it was a animal type of alzheimers.

With regards to lucky..... she does call a lot..... especially if i am not their..... She is very clingy, always wanting attention.
I just assumed that it was a result of old age.....
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by GSDlover4ever View Post
I just read up on CDS, and i srngly believe my previous dog had that condition..... In the last few years of her life, she had no idea who I was...... even though I did lots of things for her through out her life. She new who my mum was though. I allways thought it was a animal type of alzheimers.

With regards to lucky..... she does call a lot..... especially if i am not their..... She is very clingy, always wanting attention.
I just assumed that it was a result of old age.....
One of the signs of CDS is calling for no apparent reason. It's usually because the cat is feeling confused & perhaps lost & needs reassurance. And sleep patterns are often disturbed so you get a lot of vocalisation at night. But some cats have just learned throughout their lives, that a hearty miaow gets them the attention they want

CDS & Alzheimers are very similar, if not the same ~ both caused by the build up of amyloid plaques on neural pathways, so preventing neural pathways from connecting & leading to a loss of cognitive function.

One of the first things to go (as with humans) is the loss of short term memory ~ so while cats & dogs may remember things they learned as youngsters, they may forget something as simple as the way from their bed to the litter tray. It's hard watching a much loved pet go through this, but there are things we can do to help. With humans, occupational therapy can help keep neural pathways functioning, muscles working etc & the same principles can apply to animals.

I once had a client with 2 very elderly cats, one of whom was toiletting anywhere except the litter tray & she would come home from work to find her partner had shut these 2 cats out in the garden because of the smell & mess. Her partner built a "kennel" in the garden (wooden, draft, unheated & not waterproof) & expected these 2 cats of 18/19 years old to spend winter nights shut in this wooden box . He was threatening the owner with "either the cats live outside or I'm leaving" scenario.

Once the vet diagnosed the CDS & gave the owner my number, needless to say I had a very tearful owner on the phone asking if I could help! It took a huge amount of diplomacy on my part & careful handling of these people so that I could help the cats & I did have to extricate myself from "relationship counsellor" once I was happy that the cats were safe & well looked after!
GSDlover4ever
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 03:22 PM
When she lived at my mums, my mum told me she us to miss the litter tray.... although she would go to it....

I bought her a new litter tray.... the one that is like a cat box..... and no more accidents.

I'm trying to think of other things that would relate to her having CDS, but over the last several months, I think I have just got use to her quirky ways..... lol

I have also been doing some ttouch with her.... do you think it will help her. She seems to be having some discomfort in her back, when I do it. As she seems to twitch.

In the passed I have also noticed her shaking her head.... at the time I thought she might have had a stroke....
But I haven't seen her do it for a while.

I bet a lot of cat owners, are so confused by their cats behaviour and as a result the cats end up extremely upset....

I actually put Zaras (GSD) bed out on the landing.... a few meters from our bed.... just to see how Lucky would react.
Lucky meowed a few times and was quiet all night, well that I know off, as i didn't hear her. lol
Zara wasn't impressed, but it was great to get a good nites sleep. lol

Lucky wuld normally go out onto the landing and call and call and call... very loudly. It didn't matter what we did she would still do it. settle and they do it again. Some night wouls be worse than others. Two nights ago she was extremely bad.
GSDlover4ever
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 01:09 PM
Well she went to the vet today and she got some blood taken.....he is going to check her organs.... Shall just have to wait and see.

Apparently her heart wasn't rapid, when he checked her heart beat... which is normally a sign of a thyroid problem.
GSDlover4ever
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-02-2011, 06:04 PM
Well I got the blood test result back today.
I was expecting the worst, since she is nearly 18.
The vet said she is in amazing condition, she is just going senile.
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2011, 09:58 PM
Aw the poor wee soul. She must be feeling lost, and losing her hearing too won't help.

I can't offer any advice but my she is a pretty lass and I can only offer hugs...Mocha the cat sends pussycat purrs too.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2011, 10:28 PM
That's good news
As to the senility, you can try Aktivait - a nutritional supplement that really does seem to help with that sort of thing (from reading about it).
footsieG
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-02-2011, 10:52 PM
My first cat tuppence lived until he was 24yrs, I think the record stands at 28yrs or something like that. Apart from the thyroid problem, she could be starting with dementia, yes poor pussy cats can get dementia aswell, if this proves to be right, then she needs to be given a small area which is hers so she doesn't get confused, but have to say she sounds as if she wouldnLt like that. By the way she is beautiful.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >