16-01-2011, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
Great shame, such loop holes in the law
If youre determined enough, you'll find loopholes, as you say, its a shame
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2011, 10:43 PM
Hunting has never been my cup of tea to be honest BUT the thought of being with so many dogs is wonderful!! I would love to have the guts to get on a horse and go for it...only I'm a little nervous of horses...beautiful creatures though they are!!
It's crazy really..I'll hurtle down a ski slope at 60mph with 2planks stuck to my feet no problem.....but a horse.....yikes!! I'm pathetic!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2011, 12:06 AM
Originally Posted by zoe1969 View Post
Hunting has never been my cup of tea to be honest BUT the thought of being with so many dogs is wonderful!! I would love to have the guts to get on a horse and go for it...only I'm a little nervous of horses...beautiful creatures though they are!!
It's crazy really..I'll hurtle down a ski slope at 60mph with 2planks stuck to my feet no problem.....but a horse.....yikes!! I'm pathetic!
Its a wonderful feeling! You should take lessons, nothing like horse riding. Once you start you wont go back & anyone that can balance on skis never mind whizz down slopes has my greatest admiration, something i wouldnt have the nerve for
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2011, 12:55 PM
What hunt do you work for?

Hunting is great, whether stag or fox on horseback, hare on foot with beagles or bassets, etc etc

The type of country you hunt determines the type of horse.

All hunting country is different, some have endless gallops as in Leicestershire, others with huge hedges and ditches as in Somerset.

You need different horses (and hounds) for different types of country.

You can really start to see the changes in the countryside where hunting no longer occurs.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2011, 08:36 PM
Oh I wish I could ride all day - I'm a novice but I love it.
I'm jealous! Although not about what the horses are used for - but that's my opinion.

Originally Posted by zoe1969 View Post
I'd rather have a horse than ski's anyday

Just think about it, you're going for a trek around the woods, losing weight whilst sat on your bum and improving your balance with every step the horse takes Birds singing, tree branches low enough to reach (although getting hit in the face by one isn't nice) I love riding.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2011, 09:12 PM
[QUOTE=smokeybear;2148387]What hunt do you work for?

Hunting is great, whether stag or fox on horseback, hare on foot with beagles or bassets, etc etc

The type of country you hunt determines the type of horse.

All hunting country is different, some have endless gallops as in Leicestershire, others with huge hedges and ditches as in Somerset.

You need different horses (and hounds) for different types of country.

You can really start to see the changes in the countryside where hunting no longer occurs.[/QUOTE]

Thats the best news I have heard in a long time
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2011, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Oh I wish I could ride all day - I'm a novice but I love it.
I'm jealous! Although not about what the horses are used for - but that's my opinion.

I'd rather have a horse than ski's anyday

Just think about it, you're going for a trek around the woods, losing weight whilst sat on your bum and improving your balance with every step the horse takes Birds singing, tree branches low enough to reach (although getting hit in the face by one isn't nice) I love riding.
Had to chuckle at your post - getting hit by a low hanging branch. I was cantering down a slope and got whacked in the chest by a low hanging branch one time as we turned round a blind corner - knocked me right out of the saddle into a bed of nettles Yep can laugh now......
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2011, 09:19 PM
You can really start to see the changes in the countryside where hunting no longer occurs.[/QUOTE]

Really? Why is that? I find it very depressing as it is the hunts that spend a great deal of time making the countryside what it is and what I was referring to was the general disrepair of hunt gates/jumps (used by riders and walkers); failure to maintain coverts , bridleways etc for the use of all.

Can't see how the fall in maintenance of the country side can be the "best news anyone has heard in a long time"?!

Very bizarre!

However I suppose if you have no real idea of the work the hunt staff do all year round in the countryside and do not walk it every day this attitude is not surprising.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2011, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
You can really start to see the changes in the countryside where hunting no longer occurs.

Really? Why is that? I find it very depressing as it is the hunts that spend a great deal of time making the countryside what it is and what I was referring to was the general disrepair of hunt gates/jumps (used by riders and walkers); failure to maintain coverts , bridleways etc for the use of all.

Can't see how the fall in maintenance of the country side can be the "best news anyone has heard in a long time"?!

Very bizarre!

However I suppose if you have no real idea of the work the hunt staff do all year round in the countryside and do not walk it every day this attitude is not surprising.[/QUOTE]

Then you should have explained yourself better in your original post as I took an entirely different meaning from it I happen to live in the country - Does not do to always assume you know otherwise
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Had to chuckle at your post - getting hit by a low hanging branch. I was cantering down a slope and got whacked in the chest by a low hanging branch one time as we turned round a blind corner - knocked me right out of the saddle into a bed of nettles Yep can laugh now......
Oh I've never been knocked out the seat. My OH decided on his second time riding - he wanted to canter he wasn't that prepared!

He still did it the next time we went riding.

There are two stables near our new house so I will have to get into riding again this year. However I won't have my beautiful May or my gorgeous Smuf to ride
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >