Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
ah ok i get you, and i would have done the same..but from your post i took it that you would pay a bad breeders (knowing they were bad breeders before looking at pups!) if they had the pup you wanted!..
Which for me i wouldnt agree with
If I wanted another lilac collie and couldn't find a decent breeder I might well go to anyone who had one.

-----Having said that I don't want one----but I might want a brown Gordon one day.

rune
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 06:27 PM
well what can i say, some humans can be very demanding, its very much a want want world we live in and i hate it!

In effect you would be helping a breeder by giving them what they wanted, making room for more pups to be born, and giving them the market to carry on just so you could have what you wanted .. very selfish, not to mention most of these bad breeders, breed from dogs with no health tests or that might not comform to breed standard but atleast you would have your choosen colour!
really it does make my mind boogle!
AmyH-Cornwall
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-05-2010, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
I must admit, I am against breeding for a specific colour because personally I think that should be the lowest of the considerations when breeding (though if all other criteria was met, there is probably no harm to it).

But if an unusual colour is produced, is it so wrong for the breeder to benefit from that?

Even those breeders who don't breed for money will still nearly always charge the 'going rate' for that breed. So if the 'going rate' for a 'rare' colour is more, why shouldn't the breeder charge it? If not, why aren't all dogs the same price irrespective of breed or colour or sex?

What is the difference between paying more for a 'rare' colour and paying more for a 'rare' breed? (assuming both are well bred).

The whole question of dog pricing is ultimately about supply and demand.
Great post Hali!!

I totally agree with you, if all health and temperment are both taken into account I see no reason why colour cannot be taken into account when choosing a dog!!

We decided that we wanted a Tri-Beagle before we got Monty (although I orginally wanted a Lemon-white OH changed my mind) and although it is not necessary to pay more for a tri or Lemon/tan I think I would have if it was what I really wanted!! - As long as all other factors were ok!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
If I wanted another lilac collie and couldn't find a decent breeder I might well go to anyone who had one.

-----Having said that I don't want one----but I might want a brown Gordon one day.

rune
So you would support a puppy farm over a responsible breeder, solely because you wanted a dog of a particular colour? wow
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 07:41 PM
Colour can affect the dog's ability to work (white is not an accepted border collie colour because of the problems white dogs can have in controlling the sheep).
Really ?? I know many predominantly white BCs that work for a living & have no problem at all working sheep, I have been told that split faced dogs are also not good working dogs(cover your ears Wu)Someone should have told Bobby Dalziel that & I presume his Wisp only won the Supreme Championship by a fluke !
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 07:41 PM
I would expect a none standard colour pup to cost less than a show quality pup, but wouldn't pay more for an unusual colour. In Estrelas there are fawns, brindles and wolf greys. Greys are quite rare and if there was one in a litter I was viewing I might choose that pup for that reason, but I wouldn't pay more for one. Sometimes blue fawns and blacks occur and they should cost less IMO as they cannot be shown.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
well what can i say, some humans can be very demanding, its very much a want want world we live in and i hate it!

In effect you would be helping a breeder by giving them what they wanted, making room for more pups to be born, and giving them the market to carry on just so you could have what you wanted .. very selfish, not to mention most of these bad breeders, breed from dogs with no health tests or that might not comform to breed standard but atleast you would have your choosen colour!
really it does make my mind boogle!
Who said anything about not wanting health tests????

Is your idea of a good breeder someone who health tests?

rune
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Really ?? I know many predominantly white BCs that work for a living & have no problem at all working sheep, I have been told that split faced dogs are also not good working dogs(cover your ears Wu)Someone should have told Bobby Dalziel that & I presume his Wisp only won the Supreme Championship by a fluke !
I only said 'can' (perhaps I should have said 'might' but meant the same thing)...I wasn't say that none of them are able to. (and I'm hardly anti-white having one myself).

But I've heard from shepherds that the sheep can make it harder for a white dog, so a white dog generally has to be able to assert itself more strongly than a predominantly darker coloured dog, which not all of them are able to do.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Who said anything about not wanting health tests????

Is your idea of a good breeder someone who health tests?

rune
Yes very much so! ( amoung other stuff )...isnt a breeder that tests your idea of a decent, ethical breeder?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
So you would support a puppy farm over a responsible breeder, solely because you wanted a dog of a particular colour? wow
You have rather extended the bad breeder scenario -----not all bad breeders are puppy farms.

You can 'wow' all you like, if I wanted a specific colour and could only get it from someone I considered to be a bad breeder I would still have it. It isn't the only thing I would look at but its an important one for me.

BTW---breed standards wouldn't bother me at all, in fact sub standard might well be a better option in some breeds!

rune
Page 7 of 42 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 > Last »