Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Whilst i can see your point & understand your reasoning, what would you have done with such a pup/dog? Its ok talking about it but if you were presented with said pup in flesh, would you be able to turn your back & walk away? Its not that easy. Any living breathing creatute from the time it draws its 1st breath is entitled to life.
ok once i was already there i more than likely take the pup. visit a vet on way home, and report the breeders as soon as i got in for what ever it was that i didnt like..But i would try hard not to fall for these breeders, i know no one wants to fall for them..but most that do can be first time owners who are a little naive.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
I've already said that I don't agree with breeding just for colour, but again, I think you are assuming that it is only 'dodgy' breeders and/or poor quality dogs which would produce the 'rare' colour, but that isn't right.
Well I don't really know much about BC's

Even if a dog does have everything though, why is colour such an important thing? Not all dogs have the same temperment, there will always be differences, and these differences can make a dog more suitable to someone over another dog, but I just don't think that a dog should be worth more as its a different colour, as there all the same underneath, is a black dog any less of say a Staffordshire then a blue? All the pups in the litter are from the same parents, have the same lineage etc, but somehow if there is a 'rare' colour in a litter its somehow worth more. To me people who would pay more for a certain colour, well the phrase knows the price of everything but the value of nothing comes to mind
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-05-2010, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Whilst i can see your point & understand your reasoning, what would you have done with such a pup/dog? Its ok talking about it but if you were presented with said pup in flesh, would you be able to turn your back & walk away? Its not that easy. Any living breathing creature from the time it draws its 1st breath is entitled to life.

How very true. At the end of the day, probably due to my (now) choice of dog(meaning that we have had pedigrgees before but not now) we don't have to worry about the breed standard, but I have to admit I am quite ignorant of that area. Ruby is , looking back the 2 nd only dog we got from a breeder and all the many others came from rescues and were chosen just as pets so I never had to consider with them the side that the show people do.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-05-2010, 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
All three colours in one litter would be pretty unusual for most Labrador litters. Reputable breeders DNA test their dogs to see what colours they carry (if any), therefore generally have a very good idea of the colours they can expect from the pups. NO reputable Lab breeder should charge more for a particular colour.

If an would-be owner was desperate for a chocolate puppy, logically they should find a litter from an all chocolate breeding. Not take a gamble on a breeding not necessarily guaranteed to produce chocolate pups.
Personal opinions not borne out in the real world. I would question somebody rejecting a black stud with good health and temperament because it might throw yellows or chocolates.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
Well I don't really know much about BC's

Even if a dog does have everything though, why is colour such an important thing? Not all dogs have the same temperment, there will always be differences, and these differences can make a dog more suitable to someone over another dog, but I just don't think that a dog should be worth more as its a different colour, as there all the same underneath, is a black dog any less of say a Staffordshire then a blue? All the pups in the litter are from the same parents, have the same lineage etc, but somehow if there is a 'rare' colour in a litter its somehow worth more. To me people who would pay more for a certain colour, well the phrase knows the price of everything but the value of nothing comes to mind
Luckily I don't get offended easily!

How very dare you suggest that I don't know the 'value' of the dogs I would NEVER have chosen but have become part of my life and family.

If I get the chance to choose then choose I will and colour happens to be high on my list!

rune
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 05:51 PM
Cresteds can be any colour or mixture of colours, with any markings so we dont have a problem in what colours to keep for the ring either, good health, tempermant, and correct breed standard is all we hope for when mum has a litter!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
In replay to velvets boxers question ....
French bulldogs, Shar-pei( seem to have loads of colours and dilute colours) staffs ,and our own boxers i have seen flashy boxers sold higher than plain ... Murf
Yes you are right about the flashy Boxers. I think it depends too on how much you can afford with what you can have in reality. Ive often thought that there are probably a lot of good forever homes out therebut they cant afford the high purchase price so are the wrong people who pay big bucks for pups the wrong type of owner. I suppose im speaking from a rescue angle when i say that.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
The dog might still need a home, but you buying that pup is only giving the market to these dodgy breeders that so many people are trying to get rid of! when buying a dog from a bad breeder, its not just about the pup you are buying its about the space you are giving them to have another.
Yep---but I am looking at the individuals. I'd try and avoid it but if it was the only choice I wouldn't hesitate.

I bought a collie once from a dodgy breeder, she brought him out and he crawled into a box and she kicked the box to get him out-----that was it and he became mine. It took a week to get him to walk and longer to get him in any way confident, he was about 5mths when I had him. I have NO regrets or doubts that I did the right thing.

rune
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Yep---but I am looking at the individuals. I'd try and avoid it but if it was the only choice I wouldn't hesitate.

I bought a collie once from a dodgy breeder, she brought him out and he crawled into a box and she kicked the box to get him out-----that was it and he became mine. It took a week to get him to walk and longer to get him in any way confident, he was about 5mths when I had him. I have NO regrets or doubts that I did the right thing.

rune
ah ok i get you, and i would have done the same..but from your post i took it that you would pay a bad breeders (knowing they were bad breeders before looking at pups!) if they had the pup you wanted!..
Which for me i wouldnt agree with
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 06:19 PM
nope, i wouldnt.
Page 6 of 42 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »