View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 04:17 PM
My sister has a white boxer who is totally deaf, think she paid £500 for her, not sure how that price compared to the rest of the litter. Somebody mentioned exepcting to pay around half for a white boxer, I deduce therefore my sister was ripped off!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 04:18 PM
No I wouldn't no matter what the breed, it's the breeding, health & character that must come jointly first, everything else is an extra IMHO

I certainly would never ever buy a puppy for more money, just because it was a particular colour
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
I must admit, I am against breeding for a specific colour because personally I think that should be the lowest of the considerations when breeding (though if all other criteria was met, there is probably no harm to it).

But if an unusual colour is produced, is it so wrong for the breeder to benefit from that?

Even those breeders who don't breed for money will still nearly always charge the 'going rate' for that breed. So if the 'going rate' for a 'rare' colour is more, why shouldn't the breeder charge it? If not, why aren't all dogs the same price irrespective of breed or colour or sex?

What is the difference between paying more for a 'rare' colour and paying more for a 'rare' breed? (assuming both are well bred).

The whole question of dog pricing is ultimately about supply and demand.
In laymans terms, whatever the colour its still the same breed but in each breed there are ones that are suitable for show/work, and ones suitable for pets, although I don't think that colour affects the ability to work in a dog (although some people who work Labs say different - chocolate) it can affect the ability for the dog to be shown, so unless its a dog with a good work drive then really its only really suitable to be a pet, and pet dogs are everywhere in every colour, every breed, and almost every mix too, and why would someone breed pet quality dogs, and charge more for them because they are a cartain colour, unless its for money. Type, health and temperment are more important IMO, I think that even people who want a certain colour for their breeding lines would also go for a dog with better heathly, type and temperment really, instead of a dog which is considered prettier, or rarer, might be wrong though. And then there is also the fact that some 'rare' colours have health issues assocaited with them, my big bug bare is people breeding merle/dapple in breeds that shouldn't be that colour/pattern in, and then calling them rare, in some breeds the pups from these coloured parents can't even be registered any more, but that doesn't stop some people.

A rare breed is different though, many people go for the rarer breeds after years of research, or going out and finding out about them, and most would have to be put on waiting lists, and people breeding rare breeds are more then often breeding to improve the breed still, not just for a new pretty and 'rare' colour, and it would make more sense for a rarer breed to be more money then say a labrador (I'm not really picking on them in this post if anyone thinks so they're just a common breed ) then say a dog where people are having to put more work into raising awareness, and maybe even importing dogs over, and having a longer gap between breeding different bitches, as they are just harder to come by, but people who are doing this work and working hard, people who charge more for a certian colour regardless of whether its show quality or not, well they just stink to high heaven of BYB who shouldn't be touched with a ten foot pole IMHO
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Would you pay a higher price for a specific colour .. ?
I keep seeing adds for litter mates with amazing price differences.
Nope colour is the least important thing for me when i am picking a pup!
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by AshMan View Post
honestly yes. if there was a litter of staffs and i was offered a blue for more than the others i would accept. (obviously as long as it wasnt too much more)

i dont see myslef buying from a breeder for now anyway
and from looking around it seems to me that its the blue staffs that are being asked more for! So this is what 'hobby' breeders are aiming for, to get the extra cash that people like you would consider paying..Many show people wont keep or wouldnt want to breed blue staffs as i have heard they dont do well in the ring!! My mind boogles.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
None! I would totally question the ethics of a breeder charging more for colour and wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. I can't see any justification for it.
I totally agree i would question the ethics to it cost a breeder the same to raise pups of different colours the same amout of money, work, love and care needs putting in ect so why do breeders think they have the right to ask more? its beggers belife.

I love the black and white chinese cresteds and one day i will have one to show, will i pay more for it...ermm nope!
Because i would rather have a dog that is most correct to breed standard, that is from health tested parents, that is brought up from a decent breeder, from lines i like with a tempermant to die for at such a young age..everything is important to me BEFORE colour! and il wait until a black and white pup ticks all the above
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
In laymans terms, whatever the colour its still the same breed but in each breed there are ones that are suitable for show/work, and ones suitable for pets, although I don't think that colour affects the ability to work in a dog (although some people who work Labs say different - chocolate) it can affect the ability for the dog to be shown, so unless its a dog with a good work drive then really its only really suitable to be a pet

Colour can affect the dog's ability to work (white is not an accepted border collie colour because of the problems white dogs can have in controlling the sheep). But more to the point, I am not talking about colours that are against the breed standards. I'm thinking more lilac/merle/reds etc. in bcs and blues in staffs. All these can be worked and shown, they are not pet quality only, so your argument doesn't hold up.

, and pet dogs are everywhere in every colour, every breed, and almost every mix too, and why would someone breed pet quality dogs, and charge more for them because they are a cartain colour, unless its for money. Type, health and temperment are more important IMO,

I'm not disagreeing that health and temperment are more important. And don't forget I did say 'assuming both are well bred'

I think that even people who want a certain colour for their breeding lines would also go for a dog with better heathly, type and temperment really, instead of a dog which is considered prettier, or rarer, might be wrong though.

But its not impossible to get all three - a healthy, great temperement and a 'rare' colour.

And then there is also the fact that some 'rare' colours have health issues assocaited with them, my big bug bare is people breeding merle/dapple in breeds that shouldn't be that colour/pattern in, and then calling them rare, in some breeds the pups from these coloured parents can't even be registered any more, but that doesn't stop some people.

I don't disagree, hence why I said assuming they are well bred. I think you are assuming that anyone who's bitch produces a 'rare' colour is a dodgy breeder, but that isn't the case

A rare breed is different though, many people go for the rarer breeds after years of research, or going out and finding out about them, and most would have to be put on waiting lists, and people breeding rare breeds are more then often breeding to improve the breed still, not just for a new pretty and 'rare' colour, and it would make more sense for a rarer breed to be more money then say a labrador
I still don't understand why the difference. You are saying that it is its rarity value that justifies an increase cost, so why would not an excellent example of a breed be worth more than the same quality dog in a different colour?

(I'm not really picking on them in this post if anyone thinks so they're just a common breed ) then say a dog where people are having to put more work into raising awareness, and maybe even importing dogs over, and having a longer gap between breeding different bitches, as they are just harder to come by, but people who are doing this work and working hard, people who charge more for a certian colour regardless of whether its show quality or not, well they just stink to high heaven of BYB who shouldn't be touched with a ten foot pole IMHO
I've already said that I don't agree with breeding just for colour, but again, I think you are assuming that it is only 'dodgy' breeders and/or poor quality dogs which would produce the 'rare' colour, but that isn't right.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
I totally agree i would question the ethics to it cost a breeder the same to raise pups of different colours the same amout of money, work, love and care needs putting in ect so why do breeders think they have the right to ask more? its beggers belife.

I love the black and white chinese cresteds and one day i will have one to show, will i pay more for it...ermm nope!
Because i would rather have a dog that is most correct to breed standard, that is from health tested parents, that is brought up from a decent breeder, from lines i like with a tempermant to die for at such a young age..everything is important to me BEFORE colour! and il wait until a black and white pup ticks all the above
Out of interest, are powderpuffs the same price as hairless? If not, why is there a difference - the same arguments as you've made above would apply.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Out of interest, are powderpuffs the same price as hairless? If not, why is there a difference - the same arguments as you've made above would apply.
Yep hairless tend to be more than puffs! (not all breeders will charge different though ..) Breeders say they charge more for hairless because there are less of them in litters! I dont know!

and who said i agree with charging more for a hairless than a puff?? so that argument doesnt stand!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
interesting thread, I guess with there being no real choice in rotties I tend not to think about it much,

but I do wonder, for those who would pay more, what would be an acceptable amount 'more' for the colour of there choice?
I have no idea----but I reserve the right to choose and pay for it-----I have ended up with enough dogs which I have not chosen. Now I wany to indulge myself a little.

If that means paying a breeder who may not be ethical then so be it---the pup still needs a home.

rune
Page 4 of 42 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »