Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I DREAD TO THINK
?

'Crufts' yes...perhaps the most extreme of them all
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2010, 06:03 PM
Also, is it the same in the dog showing world as the horsey world always used to be?

Are the type of dog showers who trot their dog up and down in front of a judge just too wussy and unable to train their dogs to do 'the real thing' like agility or obedience?

There was always a lot of friction between the showers and the hunters/showjumpers/eventers in the horsey world-the latter actually being able to compete the fitness, training and skill of their horse, not just tart it up and trot it up and down! a being a lot more fun for both IMO
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2010, 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
Are the type of dog showers who trot their dog up and down in front of a judge just too wussy and unable to train their dogs to do 'the real thing' like agility or obedience?
haha sorry that made me laugh!!!
Our dogs do shows, agility and are trained in obedience!!!
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2010, 06:06 PM
Also, is it the same in the dog showing world as the horsey world always used to be?

There was always a lot of friction between the showers and the hunters/showjumpers/eventers in the horsey world-the latter actually being able to compete the fitness, training and skill of their horse, not just tart it up and trot it up and down! a being a lot more fun for both IMO
Why is agility and obedience the "real thing" and showing not?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2010, 06:07 PM

So having a dog welded to your leg and made perform "tricks" for extended periods of time, or get hyped into a manic state to jump round a course as quick as they can is better than walking the dog round the ring, being gone over by a judge and praised for its behaviour? Yeah ok!

Perhaps you havent been lucky enough to have dogs that can "multi-task!!"
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2010, 06:09 PM
anyways to show a dog it needs to do as its told doesnt it so isnt that obedience, just brought out in another way! ??
a few of our showing babies hate agaility so dont do it, plus we only do it for fun for them..we dont compete
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2010, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post

Perhaps you havent been lucky enough to have dogs that can "multi-task!!"
This was my thought to...show dogs are not robots and have a life away from there little spot light in there ring...it would seem like others dont agree...
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2010, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
But you dont agree with showing because of what you have seen by a few people..
does this mean you dont agree with breeding because of a few breeders.
you dont agree with agility because of a few things that some people competing do.
Does it mean you dont agree with raw feeding dogs because what has happened to a few dogs.

You cant just not agree with something because of what a few people have done..surely? If so it means you would disagree with me having a great day out with my dogs at shows, and my dogs having a great time meeting new dogs..wow they spend 10/15mins in the ring and have a 10min bath the night before!
I didn`t say I didn`t agree with it. I said I didn`t like it. I don`t. So I don`t go to shows - fun days yes, shows no. But I`m under no illusion that my opinion matters. It`s good that you like showing and have had a positive experience. So let`s agree to differ.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2010, 06:16 PM
agree to disagree it is..........
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2010, 06:31 PM
I like showing my male Kerry Blue Parker. We just go to companion shows and the like as he is neutered but we have 3 best in shows, reserve best in show last year (when he was 7) and over a hundred rosettes and we don't go to many shows! Parker also has won trophies for obedience and agility and an award for heelwork to music so I like to do other things with him as well as showing.

The people in my heelwork to music classes were very anti-showing and quite rude if I mentioned anything about dog shows!

I know there are some extremes in the show world and some bad breeders but also some good ones too.
Parker's breeder imports dogs from overseas as there is only a small number of Kerries in the UK and it's not a good idea to use the same dog all the time. I have noticed that there's not so many dog shows on since that "pedigree dogs exposed" programme. I think people are very much anti pedigree dogs now, not just shows.
Page 4 of 36 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »