View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
spot
Dogsey Veteran

08-02-2010, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by Fluffypup View Post
In the case of neutering, I don't think it's a case of all dogs being equal. I choose to keep my boy entire (at least until he's mature) as I believe he needs the hormones that flood the body at this age. Giant breed males should be allowed to fully mature (at least 2) before they are neutered and research shows that if this is not allowed to happen, there are long term health risks. According to research I've read, early neuter for male giants increases the incidence of bone cancer, the risk of hypothyroidism is tripled, prostate cancer is quadrupled and orthopaedic disorders increase. Vets seem to quote eradicating testicular cancer as a good reason but less than 1% of dogs get this. Nearly all those afflicted with prostate cancer are neutered dogs. Testicular cancer is actually rare and can be dealt with by neutering if it occurs.
Also, early castration can result in a dog with an insufficient breadth of chest for orthopaedic health. The narrow chests which result are inadequate to support the weight that many neutered animals put on. These dogs then have to develop a toe-out stance in an attempt to broaden their base for weight bearing and bloat becomes an even bigger issue.
Of course it is sensible to spay/neuter rescue dogs, but for the ordinary responsible pet owner neutering is a bigger issue than just population control and if you make the wrong choice you can actually be shortening your pet's life.
An interesting point of view that rescue dogs should be neutered but not non rescues? Why with all the health problems that you say it can bring should rescues be treated less than any other?

Oh and ordinary responsible pet owners also have rescues btw.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 10:08 PM
Well mine are rescues so got done anyway
TBH with the GP as stupid as they seem to be I think I would always get mine done, people walking off lead in season bitches and letting them play with strange dogs - stupid and cruel for the male dogs
also just the NUMBER of bitches in the area, and they all go into season at about the same time and all the intact males go off their food, get grumpy and turn into escape artists
As for the females, although it prob hasnt helped Mias reactivity (I will never know tho) the changes I seen other bitches go through during and after a season was so stressfull for them and their owners that I think for most people it would be best to get them done too
- Mias coat is amazing BTW,and all the bitches round here that got done I havent seen a coat change
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 10:12 PM
I dont have any real problems with mood changes in my bitches when in season or after them,
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 10:20 PM
In the last four years I have only come across two in season bitches off lead. I don't think that's grounds for keeping my entire male on lead for his whole life. I know loads of people who have entire males and females and have NEVER had an accidental mating. I grew up with an entire male Golden Retriever who was walked on lead every day and never showed an interest in any bitch.

I think it's totally over the top to assume that just because a dog has testicles he will scale buildings to get to a bitch.

I think that neutering my male dog would be the worst thing I could do at this time. He needs all the testosterone he can get.

Also, just thought of something else...Lozzi - do you think ALL male showdogs should never be exercised off lead?
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 11:07 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I have to say that I am quite amazed at the number of people on this forum who say they would have such control of an entire dog off lead around an in season bitch. Judging by the completely out of control entire dogs around here, I dread to think what would happen if they came across an in season bitch!

I also find it interesting that some intact dog owners moan about people walking their bitches in season. If owners of entire dogs had control of their dogs, then people walking bitches in season shouldn't be an issue.
It depends on the dog and the owner, it also depends on where you live. Where I used to live I never saw anyone on our walks, we lived in a Village and I used to walk through farmland that wasn't really used by the general public. Even now living on the edge of a town I don't see all that many people, those that I have come across in the last 8 months I've rarely had a problem with.

What amazes me is how readily people will put their dog under what can be a major operation "just incase". Surely it's better to leave the dog alone until a problem arises, if it ever does?

Oscar certainly isn't a problem with bitches in season or otherwise so he'll be keeping his nads.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
i personally think all dogs, who wont be bred from, should be spayed/neutered. any dog i have had or will have, will be neutered or spayed. too many dogs die every day through overpopulation, and unless a dog is spayed/neutered then there is always a chance of them breeding an unplanned litter and making the problem worse. even the most responsible people could have their dog breeding a litter. spaying and neutering are the only way to 100% make sure that cannot happen. i personally, think that any entire dog should be kept onlead all the time.

I actually take quite offense to that - are you suggesting that - because my dog (or bitch) is entire, I cannot train them to the degree you can train yours to? Or that you find it easier as you have chosen to control your dogs instincts through surgery?

Gabe is a fantastic dog in many ways (he suffers from separation related issues) but there is no marking/humping/bitching/running off/aggression....and he is coming up to 8 years old.

I have a great dog, who is a brilliant teacher and a (relatively) easy dog to live with. Why should I have him neutered???
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 11:34 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
how can you guarantee that your dogs will never have an accidental litter?
As you cannot guarantee 100% success with the operation.....and my neutered dog has been tied with 3 bitches - I would ask you the same question....If you rely on surgery alone you could well be in trouble.

My response is that I do everything in my power to train my dogs how to behave, I watch them and I am a responsible owner - however - part of that involves having a dog I can also live with and will be sociable out and about and making my dog as happy and secure as I can...I will not risk turning him into a nervous wreck as I have seen happen to other older dogs when they have been neutered.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 11:41 PM
Hmm, that is interesting. So if, for example, you are walking through a park with your 6 entire males off lead and someone comes walking directly past you with a bitch or two in season, your entire males would ignore the bitch completely? or you would be able to call them off immediately?

I have to say that I am quite amazed at the number of people on this forum who say they would have such control of an entire dog off lead around an in season bitch. Judging by the completely out of control entire dogs around here, I dread to think what would happen if they came across an in season bitch!

I also find it interesting that some intact dog owners moan about people walking their bitches in season. If owners of entire dogs had control of their dogs, then people walking bitches in season shouldn't be an issue.
As it happened the other day - I met someone walking 4 Labs....Gabe was very interested in one, I called him away, and he came, we were walking in the same direction (very popular dog walking area), he went back again, I called him away again...she came over to him, and I noticed he was very interested, I mentioned this to the owners, who said - on he's not entire is he - shes in season!

At which point they put her on the lead and I called Gabe away for the final time, he came, picked up his toy and followed me as I changed direction.
So yes...I can call him away.

He lives with an entire bitch, who I am very careful not to walk in populated areas when she is in season, because, although I have control of Gabe, I know it is not often the case. I am sensitive to the dogs who are entire, a bitch comes into season every 6 months at the most frequent, yes I think it is fairer for the owners of the bitch to be considerate during that time, but I have long since ceased to expect it.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 11:48 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
It depends on the dog and the owner, it also depends on where you live. Where I used to live I never saw anyone on our walks, we lived in a Village and I used to walk through farmland that wasn't really used by the general public. Even now living on the edge of a town I don't see all that many people, those that I have come across in the last 8 months I've rarely had a problem with.

What amazes me is how readily people will put their dog under what can be a major operation "just incase". Surely it's better to leave the dog alone until a problem arises, if it ever does?

Oscar certainly isn't a problem with bitches in season or otherwise so he'll be keeping his nads.
Neutering a male dog isn't a major operation. The most risky part of the procedure is the anesthetic. The actual physical removal of the testes is not invasive; I have had the pleasure(!) of watching it being done. Spaying a bitch is FAR more invasive yet most people have no problem in spaying a bitch.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2010, 12:25 AM
Neutering a male dog isn't a major operation. The most risky part of the procedure is the anesthetic. The actual physical removal of the testes is not invasive; I have had the pleasure(!) of watching it being done. Spaying a bitch is FAR more invasive yet most people have no problem in spaying a bitch.
I've seen it done too, in cats they don't even bother cutting the testicles off in some cases, prefering to tear them. That said it's still an unnecessary operation, unnecessay anesthesia and unnecessary pain the animal has to go through. Why fix it if it ain't broke?

The only reason I'd have my animals neutered is for health/behavioural reasons. As I said in the case of bitches the risks of pyometra far outweigh the trauma/risks in surgery. I guess I just don't agree with removing a part of an animal purely for the convenience of it.
Page 6 of 33 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »