Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by Emrad View Post
I really dont understand why people decide to keep their dogs entire if they do not intend to breed. I have two male dogs both are desexed as I don't want to breed with them. A fair few people seem to not want to desex their dogs on here but claim to not want to breed, so I guess I would just like to know why not neuter/spay then?
hi
all my girlies are now spayed(no pyos here )

my boys have not been castrated,if they need to be done for medical reasons then so be it,but till then.... no.

i have a pack situation and i feel castrating in these circumstances should not be taken lightly jmo
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 09:57 AM
I don't get not spaying and neutering pet dogs either. It wouldn't even occur to me to leave them intact their entire lives with no intentions to breed.

I have two entire bitches at the moment but they will most definitely be spayed when they are fully mature.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 10:01 AM
Humm....Bitches....for my part - I feel should be speyed if not going to be used for breeding.

Dogs.....well - I used to think that it was a good idea to Neuter...then I had Gabe....he was 2 1/2 when he came to me - he is not 7 (coming up for 8 this year !)
He does not mark indoors, we get a bit of whining when Siren is in season, but a kong or bone will keep him more than happy, he does not run off...he is in no way aggressive (unless I am not here aparenlty!)...I am not one for trying to fix something that is not broken in the first place.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 10:03 AM
Neutering my dogs is something I do as routine, it would take alot of considering before I left any of my dogs intact.

The only thing I would change is when they were neutered as the 2 dogs were done at 7 and 9 months old...I'd leave it before they fully matured in future.

It's simply easier to manage desexed dogs, there is no chance of unwanted litters and it has health benefits.
AshMan
Dogsey Senior
Male 

08-02-2010, 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post

Dogs.....well - I used to think that it was a good idea to Neuter...then I had Gabe....he was 2 1/2 when he came to me - he is not 7 (coming up for 8 this year !)
He does not mark indoors, we get a bit of whining when Siren is in season, but a kong or bone will keep him more than happy, he does not run off...he is in no way aggressive (unless I am not here aparenlty!)...I am not one for trying to fix something that is not broken in the first place.
Thats kinda my view with Bruce. I will never ever breed from him in any circumstance but i have never really had any thought of getting im neutured. we had a small marking issue when we first got him but training sorted that. Ive never seen him hump anything (though he got humped in play once) I dont see why i should spend money neuturing him when i have no issue with him as is.
If someone can give me a good reason then i will surely consider it.

He is around 5 1/2 BTW
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-02-2010, 10:20 AM
I agree with OP; leaving your dogs entire when they are nt going to be bred from leaves them open it serious health issues such as Pyometra and Testicular Cancer. We have always had ours done at 6 months.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by AllyLambell View Post
I agree with OP; leaving your dogs entire when they are nt going to be bred from leaves them open it serious health issues such as Pyometra and Testicular Cancer. We have always had ours done at 6 months.
....but...I have a confident - entire male dog (who is 3) a big dog as well, he has no issues with other dogs at all, which (I believe in part at least) is due to the fact he is entire - do I risk making him insecure and possibly a problem with other dogs by getting him neutered? It is very final - if I muck up his temprement (as i have seen with dogs who have been castrated later in life) I have created a problem for myself....just another angle

Had Gabe been here from the word go - I'd imagine he would have been neutered fairly young.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by AllyLambell View Post
pyo's sadly are far too common,testicular cancer is not as common as you think,testicular hyperplasia is.
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
....but...I have a confident - entire male dog (who is 3) a big dog as well, he has no issues with other dogs at all, which (I believe in part at least) is due to the fact he is entire - do I risk making him insecure and possibly a problem with other dogs by getting him neutered? It is very final - if I muck up his temprement (as i have seen with dogs who have been castrated later in life) I have created a problem for myself....just another angle

Had Gabe been here from the word go - I'd imagine he would have been neutered fairly young.
i understand tha case for neutering as not to bring more pups into the world...but castrating for castrations sake,in a multidog household? if it aint broke dont fix it(my dogs dont scent mark,hump.run after bitches) what would i acheive from castration at this point?
littlewolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-02-2010, 11:11 AM
I find there is some pressure to have your dog neutered.

When I was considering a dog walker they ALL insisted dogs were neutered, and every time i have seen my vet she asks about it, i even got an invite about it in the post.

If I neeeded a dog walker, then i would have had to have him done. Which given that he's still growing I don't really want to do yet.

Can I just ask why it's thought that neutered dogs would get a hard time? talking to folk in the park- it's been mentioned that the intact male gets it tough from the neutered males. I'd say that the majority of dogs we come accross have been neutered.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

Page 2 of 33 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »