Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Happened to me 3 times so far.
im sitting with two free loaders just now as well, I guess its all part and parcel of the game, but you do have to draw a line somewhere
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 11:31 PM
Actually as a rule if they are here for a couple of weeks as rescues and not homed they stay regardless! The longer they stay the more perfect the new home has to be.

Having said that you do get to a point where it is better for them to be somewhere less crowded where there will be more time for them.

rune
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 11:35 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I have never set out to breed for money, just as well really as I havent made any,

but I did get two cracking dogs out of my last litter, just as I will get a cracking pup out of any litter I have in future,
I breed when I want a pup to keep.
same as us, we breed to keep..when done correctly there isnt much to be made but that is not important is it!
imo if breeder health checks, cares for mum and pups in the best way find them brill homes ect i have no problem with them making some money back..i wont lie we have made a bit, not a mega amount, but it goes back into promoting our lines at shows ect anyway!

what gets me is alot of people class all breeders like the BYBers that are breeding for money..BYBers only make money as they dont spend OUT to do it correctly.

but as a breeder who are we to know what will occure? and what vet treatment will be needed? we dont know if we will or wont make a pennie out the litter so it couldnt possibly be our soul purpose of breeding.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 11:46 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
I can think of a few that do, breed the same "type" of dog too!
me to and lets just say there not KC registered.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 12:01 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
But we sometimes forget, there are many many type of dog owners, pet owners (like us) who cant comprehend the thought of giving a dog away..

But I think sometimes we can become a little self righteous, and shout down anyone who does not think or act as we do.

Dogs are many things to many owners, the worker, the pet, the therapy dog, because others dont adhere to "a dog is for life" thinking, we blast them as being "none dog lovers" which is rediculous to say the least.

The most important thing to a dog is a loving home, any home... they adjust to what is given to them.

I would never ever give my dog sup, once they come here they are here for life , but I dont judge others for thinking of the dogs and the quality of life they can have with another owner.

I have seen many a x show /breeding dog being placed in a loving pet home, are they happy you bet they are, do they hold grudges to the original owner, you bet they dont!

If a dog does not make the grade in what ever the discipline intended..what wrong with finding it another home, I for one, cant for the life of me see any wrong in it.

Then ofcause there is the serial collector of dogs, they get one, dont like it, its to noisy, to boisterous and so on.. they have it for a few weeks /months then get rid, and replace it with another.

They may be idiots, but my feelings are... at least at some point that dog will end up in a home that appreciates it.

To answer the original question, some breeders breed for money, and some dont...

But I dont class a breeder who moves dogs on as bad owners, the opposite in fact, they are thinking of the dogs welfare first and not what others may think of them.
I agree.....to a point.
Personally....I do not like the idea that a person who breeds and raises dogs is not capable of providing a good home for who is no longer useful - and I would certainly have second thoughts - no scratch that - no second thoughts - I would walk away - about purchasing a dog from somoone who did that on a regular basis.

I do not think you can equate a breeder rehoming a dog who is who longer productive in the same way that you would do so with an ex worker (although I do not like that either I do see the nessecity for it in these cases) - it may well be that they do not have the room or resources to provide for that dog - but that to me would be exactly why I would not purchase from them.

I do not like the idea of breeding dogs being a job and sole source of income (although I know it is to some people) - and TBH if you have to rehome a dog because it can no longer reproduce and/or it you have to make room for younger 'stock', then the money has become more important than the dogs.

I am sure that the dogs do not hold grudges - but it does concern me that people feel a better home can be offered than thiers - if they truely felt that way I do not believe they should have kept the dog for the initial 6-7-8 years they did.

As for people in dog sports who rehome the elderly or unable to compete...well - they are the ones who make me really mad.
Just my tupence worth
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 12:32 AM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
But if you are a very serious show-er, and are away 2 or 3 weekends (or more) in every month - it's difficult to find someone to watch the older dog/s for that length of time. Plus the upheaval of it all.

If you've been showing and breeding all your life, and the older dog/s have been part of that, then why would you stop for an older dog? Surely if you have younger showing/breeding dogs in the house then you are going to continue and these younger dogs will be just as important for the breed/lines etc as your older dog was when she was breeding/showing?

I can only think of how upset my boys are if I am away for a night, even if my OH is there (and it's not very often we're away). I would hate to put them through that on a regular basis - much better to find them a 'retirement' home where they have consistency and routine.
I would think people would want to stop coz they should love that older dog! surely that dog is more important to them, than showing! Especially, when the dog has produced x amount of litters for them! It really makes me mad, when people put hobbies like showing, before their dogs…
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 12:38 AM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
as i said its not something i would do, but she thinks this is best for her dogs and im not going to tell her right or wrong, its her opnion at the end of the day, no one can fault her, shes doing what she thinks is right. i dont like how you say used for years of breeding, she doesnt use them for years or breeding, and most of the dogs that she does let go (she has only done it with a few) go to a family member, so she still sees them and would have them back in a shot if something ever went wrong.
yes, it is her opinion but not everyone has to like it, and I certainly don’t. the dog should always come first, and not just rehomed coz a younger dog has come along. That dog is there first, so before bringing a new dog in the effects on the older dog should be taken into consideration.

Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
As far as I can see if when your dog is too old to breed its living conditions are not good enough so it is kinder to find it a better home - then its living conditions are not good enough NOW, the person is not fit to own the dog but is only keeping it because it is useful to them

Same goes with showing the dogs - showing should be a hobby that strengthens the bond between you and your dogs, but if they cant do it then fair enough

i do agility with my dogs, if Ben was suddenly unable to do agility or didnt like it then I would find something else for us to do
Same with Mia, she might never be able to run at shows - or she might, dosent matter, I am a dog owner and these are things I do with my dogs because we both enjoy them

Farmers with working dogs are different in my mind, the dogs are not house pets, they have a fufilling job to do but their lives are totaly different from that of a pet dog

Breeding is not a fuffiling job, dogs need more out of life than churning out pups and if someone dumps the dogs after that then they are not a good breeder - or person
I agree 100%! I plan on doing agility with jake, but I have no idea if he will like it yet. If he doesn’t though, I will find something else he enjoys doing… thats how it should be though, what the dog enjoys is the most important thing.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 06:48 AM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
I don't have any immediate proof, but I think you're being niaive if you don't think any sports people would dump their unwanted dogs in rescue given the chance. There is good and bad in all 'types' of owners.

I would have heard ,Obedience & aglity & Obedience is a closed shop. There were a couple of Agility Collies rehomed "through" Valgrays but this lady had to get rid of all her dogs due to sad circumstances , not because they had finished competing & these dogs were found agility homes i think, I know people in obedience that have rehomed to other people in obedience because they couldnt get on with the dog & others that they rehomed as pets- but never through rescue

In fact its not always easy to get a dog into rescue and rehoming direct is often the simplest option anyway.

Round our way you rarely get a failed worker in rescue but I don't think this is necessarily a good thing....I took Tip in because when the farmer couldn't find a home for him (he had been trying to give him away for 4 months), a rescue centre wasn't considered...the next was going to be pts.

There are lots around here that are dumped in rescue many tears is just full of them. (although only two this week) Sometimes they have horrendous injurys where they have been chained up too long. It breaks my heart

You at least found a good farmer with Tip.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 06:57 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I don't think you can be as black and white as to say all farmers dump their failed working dogs in rescue. Of course some do, and to be honest I am pleased they do give them up to rescue rather than take them out and shoot them (as still happens) But there are also many caring shepherds and farmers who retire their dogs to friends or to homes that they do vet.

There are bound to be sport people who move dogs on (whether that be put into rescue, sell on or pts) because they don't do well enough in whatever sphere - be that obedience, agility, flyball etc. It is a nonsense to say otherwise.
Rehomed yes, as youngsters,Some are if they dont enjoy working. but not dumped in rescue to make room for a new dog. or shot!!!!!!!

& ive never ever heard of a "oldie" being rehomed(from obedience)once its retired.

& its not "nonsense" thanks, In obedience & agility we travel all over the country , everyone knows everyone & what they are working etc & if a dog cropped up in rescue for any reason other than someone had a circumstance that they had to get rid of all their dogs then everyone would know about it.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 07:06 AM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
I know of several"sports"people who go through dogs at a rate of knots. I was offered a dog last year at a show by an obedience handler, because & I quote"he doesn't work well enough & I have booked another puppy. You only have pets so it won't matter to you" This was said in front of a witness who was "gob smacked" If I had had the room to take the poor thing home I would have done & then let everyone know what she was really like !

I've had other "sport"people ask me what to do with a dog that doesn't compete any more "get rid or PTS !!!"in their words.

I often wonder what happens to all the young dogs & puppies I see around the rings that"disappear"& are replaced with yet another puppy.

Perhaps I'm just a cynic but there are "sports"breeders out there that take chances with the breedings they do & the chances result is a sad outcome.

If & when I do breed a litter(all health test results permitting of course)I already have puppies booked & the litter won't even be on the ground for 2 years at the earliest, in fact the mother to be hasn't even been conceived yet !
All the "young" rehomes that i know have , have all been rehomed, by the handlers, i dont know ANY that have been put into rescue

I dont know of any OLDIES that have been put into rescue, once they have retired.

Do you?????

My Point is "rehomes" are done by the Owners-not dumped in rescue.
& retired "oldies" are not rehomed once they are too old.

I know people that do rehome a younger dog to a pet home, but at home have loads of lovely oldies milling about
Page 7 of 41 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 > Last »