Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
RedyreRotties
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-01-2010, 03:00 PM
Clearly you don't.

Right now my dog population includes an 8YO spayed bitch who was never bred, and who is my pet, an intact 5YO bitch who has had 2 litters, and is about to be bred for her last one, her son from her 2007 breeding, her daughter from her 2009 breeding.

I am planning to keep at least one, possibly 2 bitches from the 2010 breeding to move forward with, as this is the last breeding for Penny.

In order to have any level of success in breeding dogs, you HAVE to keep something to move forward with. Even in an ideal situation I would have a minimum of 4 bitches at any time. A senior, a dog in late prime, one in early prime, and a puppy.

I choose not to have kennels because my dogs are my pets and house dogs. As I said, I have not placed an older bitch, however, if I felt it would put her into a BETTER LIFE SITUATION, I would DO it, as what is most important to me is what is best for the dog, not what is easiest for me.

This is just my opinion, which I am entitled to, and put across in a positive manner. You asked a question, so you have my answer, even tho it may not be what you might like or do personally.
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 03:17 PM
My own personal feeling is you have a dog and decide to breed it should be for the betterment and love of the breed. So I could not part with a dog simply because they have past the age of breeding. Espcially if I have had that dog from a pup or bred it myself.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 03:17 PM
I think there are so many different types of breeders and situations, that it is impossible to say. Some breeders of course breed purely for monetary gain - puppy farmers, back yard breeders etc. Some breeders have a genuine love for the breed and their dogs are all health tested etc but they still breed dogs as a business (and, as such, to make money), some breeders breed simply to further their own line (for show, work or whatever), and then you have pet breeders who usually misguidedly think it would be nice for their pet bitch to be bred to Joe Bloggs dog down the road.

I also believe that, in most cases, a dog is for life. This is when a dog is a pet dog, a member of the family etc. However, my husband occasionally runs on sheepdog pups and then sells them if they aren't suited to work on the hill, he also occasionally finds a good home (free of charge) for one of his older dogs who now finds the hill too hard. These older dogs go to close friends, or friends of friends, who have lowland farms where an older dog can still get out to work every day. When a collie is used to working every day, it becomes their whole reason for living, and while some take to retirement well, many don't, and for this reason it is sometimes kinder to the dog to find it a good home where it can continue to work before retiring to the fireside.

We currently have one 15 year old retired sheepdog who has lived in the house for the past 4 years and we have another 10 year old who is still as fit as a fiddle, and his retirement home will be here too.

It is a very difficult one, but I do think that sometimes it is kinder to find a pet home for an ex breeder, or an easier working home for a working dog. Not a decision I could (or would) ever make with any of my own dogs though. Come hell or high water, my dogs are with me for life.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
but surely she could find a way around it, like getting someone else to watch her older dog/s. or just stopping showing, surely her older dog/s are more important…
But if you are a very serious show-er, and are away 2 or 3 weekends (or more) in every month - it's difficult to find someone to watch the older dog/s for that length of time. Plus the upheaval of it all.

If you've been showing and breeding all your life, and the older dog/s have been part of that, then why would you stop for an older dog? Surely if you have younger showing/breeding dogs in the house then you are going to continue and these younger dogs will be just as important for the breed/lines etc as your older dog was when she was breeding/showing?

I can only think of how upset my boys are if I am away for a night, even if my OH is there (and it's not very often we're away). I would hate to put them through that on a regular basis - much better to find them a 'retirement' home where they have consistency and routine.
Bagwoman
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-01-2010, 03:41 PM
However, my husband occasionally runs on sheepdog pups and then sells them if they aren't suited to work on the hill, he also occasionally finds a good home (free of charge) for one of his older dogs who now finds the hill too hard. These older dogs go to close friends, or friends of friends, who have lowland farms where an older dog can still get out to work every day. When a collie is used to working every day, it becomes their whole reason for living, and while some take to retirement well, many don't, and for this reason it is sometimes kinder to the dog to find it a good home where it can continue to work before retiring to the fireside.
To me this is completely different they are working dogs and are necessary on many levels they are not bred to show or sell they are bred to work. Once retired I can see the sense in them going to a comfy retirement home to make room for the new working dogs.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 03:51 PM
Personally as long as the breeder vets people carefully I think it is kind to let them go to another home when they retire. If they have lived a life of showing, nowadays all over the continent, having a litter or two & then suddenly they are left at home.No more showing, no more babies, no more special exercise (all my friends show dogs are regularly swum) instead they are left at home, even if in the house caged as there are several of them & one can't risk a fight breaking out while you are not there,is not as good a life as a one to one or at most two to one life in a new home. Personally I know of one big kennels where if a dog comes back they stay. Nowthe hennels are beautiful, heated & spotless & the kennel staff are great but I still think for a dog who has lived a one to one life, this is unfair & it would be kinder if dog's taken back & oldies who are no longer being shown or bred from could find a home bya fireside where they don't have to share their attention with 10 or more others.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 03:58 PM
How do you know (if you do not know the breeder personally , or others that do) , if a breeder is breeding for money? Does it matter if a breeder is breeding for money, and money being the most important reason for breeding. To me it does. A classic are those breeders that have a litter/s, can't cope with the numbers of pups, and palm them off to friends and family to sell for them. People should think of their circumstances before they bring pups into this world. Of course if they are only doing it with money as the most important outcome then they don't care anyhow.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 03:59 PM
Is there a difference between a dog lover and a dog breeder?
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
I do have slightly hypocrytical views on this though because I accept that it isn't practical for a working farmer to keep all his retired dogs (though many keep some) yet I frown when breeders/agility people do it. I guess one big difference is that the farmer never pretends that the dog is a much loved pet or that he owns the dog for any reason other than to work it.
No Reason for those Farmers to dump them in rescue though. at least they could try to rehome them themselves

You see "failed" workers in rescue aswell as failed BC pets. At least a "good" breeder or Sports home will find & vet their home
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
No Reason for those Farmers to dump them in rescue though. at least they could try to rehome them themselves

You see "failed" workers in rescue aswell as failed BC pets. At least a "good" breeder or Sports home will find & vet their home
If we are talking 'good' breeder or 'good' sports home, then we should compare with 'good' farmer, who would do likewise.
Page 3 of 41 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »