Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
That's odd you claim that ALL the veterinary studies claim that it is healthier & beneficial for all dogs to be neutered before they are 6 months old ? Every single one ??????

Funny this article with the FACTS it contains written by a a VET doesn't agree !
That aricle has been refuted before on Dogsey - the articles were all misused and the 'facts' are all wrong. I'll try to find the link Johnderondon put up to the other article which shows that the article you put a link to is a total pile of pants.

Here we go, maybe you might like to read it this time around?
http://www.unleashyourself.biz/docum...spaynueter.pdf
Or maybe not
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by kcjack View Post
I have worked at a vets for 12 months and met many, have never met any vets against neutering.
Wow a whole 12 months you must have met most of the vets in the UK then during that time.

Funnily enough the practice I go to(which has been in existence since the 1920s)has a mix of very experienced vets, vets who have been in practice for over 10 years & recently qualified vets & the only ones who try to get everyone to have their pets neutered asap are the recently qualified ones. One tried the scare me with my 13 week old puppy telling me he needed castrating because he wasn't entire-telling me he would develop cancer before he was a year old !! 3 3/4 years later he is still entire & has had both from the age of 17 weeks !
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
Come on Joedee, you know that's not how I meant it. I can't be that irresponsible because I foster for the Dog's Trust Freedom Project for the past two years.

Obviously I didn't ALLOW the dog in, I don't know how it got in, my dog has never escaped from the garden. What I am saying is, it's other people who are the problem.

How do you siggest policing your policy of 'let's train all dogs to not try to reproduce'
Well you should know how it got in because if a dog can get in one can get out, you should have made it your business to find out how the bitch gets in QED

You do not have to train your dogs not to mate in season bitches you train your dog as part of being a responsible dog owner period.

Having owned entire dogs & bitches for over 50 years I have never had an"accidental"litter nor have any of my dogs sired an"accidental"litter to a roaming bitch.

I have no problem with the neutering of dogs, just the neutering from 8 weeks to maturity(Oh yes the RSPCA now neuter males at 8 weeks & bitches at 11 weeks which says a lot about their home checking !)

What has fostering for the DT got to do with anything ??
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-07-2009, 08:38 PM
Yes some studies question how much less cancer neutered dogs have. Those intact dogs that jump a fence and get killed in traffic heading for a female in season upwind never get cancer.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
Yes some studies question how much less cancer neutered dogs have. Those intact dogs that jump a fence and get killed in traffic heading for a female in season upwind never get cancer.
yes and of course all entire dogs are sex crazed. I grew up with an entire golden retriever and he never looked twice at any bitch in his life. OK some dogs will scale fences to find bitches, but the same dogs will probably do that if they are neutered. Being neutered doesn't necessarily lessen the sex drive in dogs. My little Dan is six months next week and being neutered would be the worst thing I could possibly do for him. He has testicles for a reason, and attached to him they will stay.
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 09:02 PM
But they have testicles to reproduce and most of us dont want our dogs to reproduce.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 09:09 PM
But they have testicles to reproduce and most of us dont want our dogs to reproduce.
and they also produce hormones which are important as the animal matures. Rio has started her first season today, but she is still very much a baby. She has a different temperament now than she did at six months, and will be different again in a year. I believe that if you are going to spay and neuter, it should be done after the dog has matured. If you can't keep your puppy from having puppies then you shouldn't have dogs in the first place.
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 09:10 PM
But I had Kiera speyed at 6 months and she is a wonderfully adjusted 2 yr old and she is the rule to this not the exeption.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 09:15 PM
But I had Kiera speyed at 6 months and she is a wonderfully adjusted 2 yr old and she is the rule to this not the exeption.
But that is probably down to the way you have brought her up, she would probably be a wonderfully adjusted dog un-spayed.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 09:18 PM
how would you know any different anyhow i thought the emphisis(??) was on young males?
Page 7 of 40 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 > Last »