Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 03:10 PM
Originally Posted by kcjack View Post
Er yes what is there to gain by breeding a x breed its not going to be furthering a breed is it? Just bring more unwanted pups in the world.
My x breed ridge x boxer was speyed at 6 months not an ounce of problem lovely calm girl.
When we get young ones in we always spey/castrate at 6 months never any probs and this is weekly basis we spey.
We've had both pedigree dogs & cross breeds & none were neutered at an early age & just because a dog isn't neutered doesn't mean it is going to be used for breeding. It's a lazy way to dog ownership, instead of being responsible dog owners neuter the dog so if it does mate a bitch it will not produce puppies-far better not allow the dog access to an in season bitch & actually train the dog instead of relying on castration to give control over the dogs natural instincts !
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
far batter not allow the dog access to an in season bitch & actually train the dog instead of relying on castration to give control over the dogs natural instincts !
I can't even begin to start on how this is soooooo wrong You should come and meet the idiots in my town - it's not yourself one needs to worry about, it's other irresponsible owners.

We have a shar-pei/staffy bitch regularly coming into our garden when in season. This has been happening for 2 years now. What if my dog was entire and in the garden and I wasn't there with him?
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
I can't even begin to start on how this is soooooo wrong You should come and meet the idiots in my town - it's not yourself one needs to worry about, it's other irresponsible owners.

We have a shar-pei/staffy bitch regularly coming into our garden when in season. This has been happening for 2 years now. What if my dog was entire and in the garden and I wasn't there with him?

So castration/spaying(both intrusive operations)should be used to replace responsible ownership, because, I presume, the animals cannot reproduce(the males are not sterile straight away BTW). It's therefore OK to allow neutered dogs/bitches to roam simply because they cannot produce unplanned puppies. What a bizarre point of view !!!

Why on earth do you allow other people's dogs to get into your garden ? Think about this logically if this bitch can get in your dog could get out, but hey that's OK because he's castrated !! My dogs can be in the garden because no dog or person can get into it. They have no assess to the front garden because they could get out of it.

I'm stunned it's OK to have neutered dogs/bitches that can roam but wrong to have entire ones that cannot !

Words fail me.
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 03:35 PM
But that could happen an uneutered female could get in my front garden if they so wanted to.
I think responsible ownership IS getting your dog castrated unless a top breeder furthering her lines responsibily.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

13-07-2009, 03:48 PM
I do see what you are saying JUK but where I live if I want to take Ollie out the field that most people round here and also travel in cars too to walk their dog is right outside my front door and we have many people that walk their dogs on there in season. 3 times now I have come across it and Ollie is neutered so that is partly a good thing but he is still is very interested just doesn't know which end to hump and I have to keep him on a tight lead all 10 + stone of him while they either decide to put their dog back on a lead or look at me in revelation that my dog is interested in their in season bitch.

If he wasn't neutered I don't quite know what would of happened by now I cannot not walk him because of this and why shouldn't I he has done nothing wrong. I know I wouldn't neuter another male as young as 6 months but I have to say where I live at the moment I would neuter again but at an older age.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 04:09 PM
Define cross breed------IMO that would mean all 'inuit'types, all the 'wolfdog' crosses and all the 'oodles'.

These people are giving upon their dogs because they are teenagers and they probably haven't bothered to train them at all.

Castration isn't a cure all---unfortunately.

rune
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 04:12 PM
No but it sure helps
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 04:55 PM
But that could happen an uneutered female could get in my front garden if they so wanted to.
I think responsible ownership IS getting your dog castrated unless a top breeder furthering her lines responsibily.
A Top Breeder ????? So only the elite should breed their dogs ?????

Well my dogs don't come from"Top Breeders"& I'm not & never have been a "Top Breeder"however from my dogs have come a good few working police dogs(bred by the police & not gifted dogs), working sheep/cattle dogs, an assistance dog & some successful show dogs.

Behind all my dogs are generations of"fit for function"dogs bred to do the job the breed was created to do. Health tested, super correct temperaments & not one being rehomed through any rescue.

But of course I should have had all my dogs neutered & not bred from because they were neither bred by Top Breeders & were not"Top Dogs"themselves.

Rjj was bred by one of the most knowledgeable ISDS members & he never advertizes his puppies or dogs. Jessie & Wu are a combination of some of the best Trialling & Obedience dogs in the UK, Roodee was bred by someone who does not show, but who produces beautiful typical puppies with wonderful temperaments & all her dogs are fully health tested.

My next dog won't be coming from a"Top Breeder"as they do not breed what I want in a dog of the breed. Few of the"Top Breeders"in the UK breed what I want in a dog TBH.

It's a myth that only the"Top Breeders"have the best dogs especially in Border Collies & Cavaliers. I don't know what breeds you have any in-depth knowledge of the "Top Breeders"of, but I doubt very much it would be Border Collies. GSDs or Cavaliers.

I am very surprised that anyone has a garden that roaming dogs & their own dogs have unsupervised access to. This would mean that anyone could take your dog(s)if they wanted to.
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 04:58 PM
I mean top breeders as in the best, in health tested stock dogs living in good conditions not just used as "stock"
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 05:03 PM
I mean top breeders as in the best, in health tested stock dogs living in good conditions not just used as "stock"

So type & working ability are of no consideration ? Dogs used as stock ? You have really lost me now.
Page 3 of 40 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »