Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 01:37 PM

Young males and early castration.

I wish so much that people would get young males castrated at 6 months.
In the last week we have taking in 8 males between 10-18 months and we just cant take any more am turning them away daily.
They all exhibit humping being the biggest problem, dominance, and just general hypo and what I would say no manners.
I am a huge fan of early castration from what I have seen it stops the behaviour before it starts and becomes habit. It seems other rescues are having same probs with young males.
I am so so lucky Kato is tolerant with these young uns when they 1st come in and hypo he really is helping me teach them manners and boundaries.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 01:44 PM
But early castration isn't always going to solve those problems.

My two were neutered at about 9 months old, and have never humped anything, however at our training class is a dog who was neutered at 6 months and he humps ANYTHING he can get near, including a chair!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
But early castration isn't always going to solve those problems.

My two were neutered at about 9 months old, and have never humped anything, however at our training class is a dog who was neutered at 6 months and he humps ANYTHING he can get near, including a chair!
yep i agree! and going by my boses spayed bitch that humps, 'castrating 'HER at 6 months wouldnt work either, but hey
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by kcjack View Post
In the last week we have taking in 8 males between 10-18 months and we just cant take any more am turning them away daily.
They all exhibit humping being the biggest problem, dominance, and just general hypo and what I would say no manners.
I am a huge fan of early castration from what I have seen it stops the behaviour before it starts and becomes habit. It seems other rescues are having same probs with young males.
I am so so lucky Kato is tolerant with these young uns when they 1st come in and hypo he really is helping me teach them manners and boundaries.

We make judgements from our own experiences because you see so many rescues you have strong opinions about early neutering.
I have only ever experiences intact males who never showed any anti-social behaviours and because of this I believe that it is a personal decision made for the best of reasons.
A neutered black lab regularly tries to hump Beau and Lula
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 01:52 PM
i think you kinda answered what they needed in your own post 'to be taught manners and boundries'
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 01:55 PM
Not a chance on earth Id chop nuts off my babies!!
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 01:58 PM
yep, have to disagree. Loki was neutered early (at seven months) and he was a serial humper. Neutering did absolutely nothing positive for him. Could it be that these dogs are overly exuberant because they are untrained? Of course it could! I know plenty of intact males and they are no bother at all, because they are properly trained and handled. The dogs I have most trouble with when out, both for sexual behaviour and hyperactivity are both neutered males.
taniamiff
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-07-2009, 02:03 PM
I was under the impression that early castration was not a good thing and could have an effect on the growth of the dog. I am not an expert though as my GSD Ben was entire. We never had any of the problems which you mentioned. Not sure I would neuter my next dog either, going to have to give it some though. Bet my husband won't want to lol
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 02:05 PM
I didnt get Kato done till 12 months mind you originally was going to be 18 months.
Just so peed off at mo with idiots handing in young males saying they "dominant" and we say have them castrated and they dont so now we full to brim with them, and 80% are x breeds.
I honestly believe in the majority of cases is beneficial to castrate early you may get odd case of humping but from what I have seen very rare.
I wouldnt expect a SENSIBLE owner to castrate there dogs if was no need but defo x breeds imo should be done at 6 months.
banji
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-07-2009, 02:08 PM

i have a bitch in season at presant, a five year old dog who was neutered at 6months old and a 8 year old dog who was neutered at 5 years old having been a stud dog.
the five year old is after her non stop and is incredibly annoying.also he scent marks the house.he is a nuiscance in many ways, but lovely also. it appears he is compensating for what he lost when he was 6months old. the 8 year old ex stud dog is the best natured male dog i know and was also when he was entire. so the theory there does not apply to my dogs and many other people who i know who own entire male dogs.
if i get any more male dogs i wont be getting them neutered again.
in some cases i know its necessary from a medical point of view, thats different, but just to stop pups it doesnt automatically give better behaviour in a dog.
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »