Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-03-2009, 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Why? they admitted their mistakes and deep down they loved the dog.

this is the thread we had at the time
http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php...ight=marley+me

this is what I said at the time.

Couldn't find it, but the book is billed as Marley and Me, life and love with the world's worst dog.
Marley was nowhere near the world's worst dog, he was poorly trained and had a genuine phobia with thunderstorms. The book on the whole irritated me more than anything, most of the situations described as funny just weren't. They bought the dog for its kerb appeal, basically they liked the look of them, they only researched the breed after buying him. All the books stressed how much exercise and stimulation he would need if not to turn into a destructive dog. His training was brief and hit and miss and yet he constantly refers to him as having a screw loose or similar. I don't think it was the dog that had the screw loose to be honest.
I don't dispute that he loved his dog, but I love chocolate and for me he gave his dog no more thought than I give a bar of chocolate. Maybe that's why I thought the end was the best part, it showed genuine emotion and of course we all relate to it if we have ever been in that situation ourselves. I've been there a few times myself and obviously related to that part of the book. Yes, I had tears in my eyes at the end but that was more to do with my own memories than anything the author had written.
I definately would not recommend the book
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2009, 06:13 PM
Glad to read this, I thought I was odd as I didn't like the book
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2