View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2009, 04:17 PM
some breeds are just more vocal than others so in some dogs its pretty much the norm to be talky, many young dogs will bark due to being nervy of new situations,
Barking doesn't bother me personally, however it could be read as intimidating by others. However, I was refering more to the context of the OP -- I WOULD be intimidated if a dog was running towards us barking and growling with it's teeth beared. I think most people would quite frankly and in that situation I couldn't give a hoot about what the breed of dog was.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2009, 04:21 PM
having read the thread, I have to say the comments about, it could have hurt a child, gone for there face and so on...

assuming a child is not in control of a dog, I see no reason for the dog to be a threat to people or kids,
just because a dog doesn't get on with other dogs {if that is the case} does not mean it is aggressive to people or children,
I think the point some are trying to make is that a child could quite easily get injured even accidentally, more so than an adult because of their small size, in such a situation. How many times have you read about misplaced aggression when two dogs are fighting? a child in that situation IMO is more vulunerable...
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2009, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Errr...I'd be pretty mortified if my dog went up to someone barking and growling. It is NOT acceptable to let a dog behave like that.
Snap Labradork

Also it relates to the DDA section 3, (think it's s. 3) that if a dog actually scares someone then the owner may be liable. That is all a dog has to do.

Wys
x
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2009, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Barking doesn't bother me personally, however it could be read as intimidating by others. However, I was refering more to the context of the OP -- I WOULD be intimidated if a dog was running towards us barking and growling with it's teeth beared. I think most people would quite frankly and in that situation I couldn't give a hoot about what the breed of dog was.
ah see you lost me there, I thought as your were quoting Inkliveeva your were refering to her
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2009, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Snap Labradork

Also it relates to the DDA section 3, (think it's s. 3) that if a dog actually scares someone then the owner may be liable. That is all a dog has to do.

Wys
x
lol where does that leave me, many people pass my calm dogs saying god those dogs scare the beejeesus out of me..
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2009, 04:23 PM
I was referring to her, too. She seemed to hint that dogs running up to someone barking and growling was acceptable or normal for some breeds.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2009, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
lol where does that leave me, many people pass my calm dogs saying god those dogs scare the beejeesus out of me..
ah but your dogs are big teddies anyway Shona

Wys
x
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2009, 04:50 PM
Valandra can your Aunty photograph her injury now and again when the bruising comes out? If you take this to the police and report it as an offence under the DDA then at least a recorded history is being built up. Even if nothing comes of it this time, if it happens again and the owner says "He's never done that before" the police will know better.
kathyg
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-03-2009, 05:31 PM
Pit Bulls are a banned breed. Not many people actually know what a pit bull looks like, that's why they get bad press, because other breeds are confused with them.

Either way, if it is a pit bull or any other dog that is jumping up and frightening you, then call the Police and insist they do something.
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2009, 06:30 PM
Im pretty sure it was a pit bull but if it wasn’t it was one hell of a HUGE staffy. Ive never seen any staffy so big before. Im lucky that both dogs didn’t get too stressed about this, after he went we put them back on the field and off they went playing again. I would hate for this to happen to someone else and will prob make a report to the police. But as ive said before ive never seen him take it off the lead. I didn’t even get to talk to him after to ask questions or even try to introduce the dogs to see if he was being an overly excited dog or if he was trying to harm the pups. Like people have pointed out, the bites may have just been nips which i know can hurt as ive had a few off excited dogs, i really just don’t know what to do about telling the police. I think before i do anything ill speak to some of the other dog walkers and see if they have had any problems with this dog.

Ive seen this dog about 4 times in total, and last night i seen his 10-13 year old son walking it. As i said before it headed straight for my dog, totally taking the little boy off his feet, he got dragged along the field with the dog until he got a grip into the grass with his feet. I just shrugged this off as i thought the dog may have just wanted to play with Pepsi. The boy then kicked his own dog and hurried off the field when i was out of view. I will always give a dog a chance, as i know most just want to play but i also have a good sense of when a dog may be aggressive.

Omg Schuh im sorry to hear what happened to your friends father. Its amazing how dogs can just turn sometimes, with no reason at all.

Greyhound – we did not show him my auntys arm as we wernt sure if there was any real damage until he left. Ive also found out i have 2 bruises on my leg from what i can only gather was when he was jumping up on me.

Inkliveea / lotsforus – as ive said before im not really scared of dogs no matter how big or small. But you have a 6th sense about these things and if you have seen the dog snapping at other dogs before, and that the owner cant even control him on the lead when passing dogs. i would have not risked the life of my puppy just to see what the dog ‘would’ have done. It totally wasn’t worth it. If he came over and said ‘ oh he is just friendly and loves to play’ i would have no objection in putting my puppy to the ground as she loves to play with other dogs. But as none of this happened i certainly wouldn’t have risked it. My uncle has had staffys all his life and they are lovely dogs, there just the same as any other dog. If you don’t bring them up right, then god knows how they will react with their surroundings. Its a dog that im not afraid of, and infact my little pup plays brilliant with about 5 staffys on the field so i don’t think its a fear that i had when i picked her up. It was the way the dog had behaved in the past.
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >