View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2009, 11:49 AM
Hi similar situation to i think it was GSDmad yesterday - report it ! this is precisely why these dogs are banned - because of owners like this prat ! I think you were quite controlled, i'd have gone mad - did you show him your Aunties arm ? after he said he doesn't bite, definitely report it
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2009, 11:50 AM
I think if the dog was agressive at all it would have bitten you for kicking it and pushing it...sounds like you both had a real fright and just maybe your preconcieved ideas of these types of dogs added to your fear of him, picking the dogs up would only make the other dog naturally more inquisative...
Really hope your Aunty is ok xx
Schuh
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-03-2009, 12:04 PM
Hi Loki's Mum, unfortunately he never fully recovered. He is 74, so it taken him a lot longer than it would someone younger.
Unfortunately the knock on efect is that now my friend is petrified of dogs too.

As I say dogs are great, but when not properly controlled they can be a menace, which unequivocally is the owners fault.
lotsforus
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-03-2009, 12:16 PM
That sound like you both had a fright.
I have to say though You may have made it worse having picked up the dogs. That would have made it more excited the fact your dog were high up. My dogs are fine with other dogs but often people with small dogs pick them up then mine try to jump up to get a sniff of the other dog.
This may have been just a young vocal dog. I know a few staffies who sound like they are growling but are not they do it when they are excited about somthing. My dog on the lead can sometimes bark or growl at another dog but off lead is fine with others.
Schuh
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-03-2009, 12:21 PM
I would have thought that if it can jump up and bite an adult through her coat imagine what it could do to a child. Even if the dog is only playing or curious, the fact is, it shed blood. A small child would have no chance against that dog, whatever breed it is.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2009, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by Schuh View Post
I would have thought that if it can jump up and bite an adult through her coat imagine what it could do to a child. Even if the dog is only playing or curious, the fact is, it shed blood. A small child would have no chance against that dog, whatever breed it is.
Bull breeds are and do nip when excited, especially if they are young, and a nip is still sore even through a jacket, I should know believe me if it had wanted to bite it would have caused some serious damage ...
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2009, 12:56 PM
if you know this guy then I would be knocking on his door and explaining what happened, and giving him a warning, or get the dog warden to talk to him.

Are you sure its a pitbull - they are illegal ? Could it be a cross etc - however regardless you need to talk to the dog warden or this man as if his dog is clearly dog aggressive then he shouldnt be off lead. In all honesty it doesnt sound as if the dog intentionally bit your auntie, it was trying to get to the other dog, but if this man cant keep his dog under control then he shouldnt own it. You need to say something.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2009, 01:23 PM
That sound like you both had a fright.
I have to say though You may have made it worse having picked up the dogs. That would have made it more excited the fact your dog were high up. My dogs are fine with other dogs but often people with small dogs pick them up then mine try to jump up to get a sniff of the other dog.
This may have been just a young vocal dog. I know a few staffies who sound like they are growling but are not they do it when they are excited about something. My dog on the lead can sometimes bark or growl at another dog but off lead is fine with others.
No offense, but if you owned a small breed or a puppy, natural instinct tells you pick the dog up if an aggressive dog is charging towards you. I'd rather the dog jump on me than hurt my puppy. Even an out of control but FRIENDLY dog can seriously injure a small breed or pup.

As for 'making it worse', well, tough. If you can't recall your dog from that situation it shouldn't be off the lead.
SKing87
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-03-2009, 02:56 PM
to be honest if that dog had bitten me or anyone near me I would have kicked the crap out of it.

ive only been bitten by two dogs in my life - a german shep and a collie. ive got a scarred stomach from the german shep, and the collie bit a hole in between my thumb and index finger.

both of these dogs were put down as a result - and rightly so.
whether it is the owners fault that the dog gets to this stage or not, the dog is still unstable, and is an unsuitable pet. you should report it and the dog should be PTS, especially if it is biting people and drawing blood.

TBH despite the comments about the dog not being on its lead, accidents happen. My GSD pulled a bit hard the other day and the clasp on her collar went, she shot right out into the road... the dog doesnt have to be off the lead to be dangerous. LIke somebody else said, if it were a child the dog would have gone straight for its face or throat.
SKing87
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-03-2009, 02:59 PM
(by the way i apologise in advance if anyone takes offense to that comment about dogs who bite people being put to sleep. provoked attacks are different, but spontanious attacks on humans and other dogs are not acceptable!)
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »