Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by shaunclemens View Post
i do play games like this. i also say sit and stay and put biscuits in same room even very close and she wont touch them unless i give her permission have you got any advice to teach her to find things as ive tried this and she doesnt seem to use her nose much.
Some dogs dont so much
What I did with mine was put them in a stay while I places a bit of food on the floor
Took them into a different room, then sent them back to find the treat - the usualy went right too it
Then got them to stay in the other room and put another treat in exactly the same place - released them to 'go find'

If they got it right away then next time I moved the treat slightly
and kept doing this till they started looking about for it

Ben is like a little steam train snuff snuff snuffing
My friends dog never really got the hang of sniffing for it - he just ran about looking

either way it really tires them out - and it works on a nice out of sight stay too
shaunclemens
Dogsey Junior
Male 

07-02-2011, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Some dogs dont so much
What I did with mine was put them in a stay while I places a bit of food on the floor
Took them into a different room, then sent them back to find the treat - the usualy went right too it
Then got them to stay in the other room and put another treat in exactly the same place - released them to 'go find'

If they got it right away then next time I moved the treat slightly
and kept doing this till they started looking about for it

Ben is like a little steam train snuff snuff snuffing
My friends dog never really got the hang of sniffing for it - he just ran about looking

either way it really tires them out - and it works on a nice out of sight stay too
i tried before with normall dog biscuits but had no reaction at all but i went to pets at home early on and got some choc drops and this really worked.

im trying to teach her a trick a day if i can. the trouble is trying to find a new trick every day,
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by shaunclemens View Post
i tried before with normall dog biscuits but had no reaction at all but i went to pets at home early on and got some choc drops and this really worked.

im trying to teach her a trick a day if i can. the trouble is trying to find a new trick every day,
Yes sometimes something with a bit more of a smell is better
over time you can build it up so they dont need something stinky
Ben actually surprised me and I have a trick with him where I can hold a stick (I know people dont like dogs playing with sticks) have him in a stay, walk into an area with lots of other sticks and then send him and he sniffs out the stick I dropped
- I didnt teach it we just did it by accident

A trick a day is a good thought - but you also have to go back and proof some of the tricks you have done, and many will take more than a day but sounds like you are doing great to stimulate his mind

There are tonnes of books out there - and I find youtube amazing - shaping and free shaping are great ways to teach new tricks - raid a toyshop for fun things to interact with - I was watching a friend og min trying to shape her dog to drop a toy basketball into a little basket
shaunclemens
Dogsey Junior
Male 

07-02-2011, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Yes sometimes something with a bit more of a smell is better
over time you can build it up so they dont need something stinky
Ben actually surprised me and I have a trick with him where I can hold a stick (I know people dont like dogs playing with sticks) have him in a stay, walk into an area with lots of other sticks and then send him and he sniffs out the stick I dropped
- I didnt teach it we just did it by accident

A trick a day is a good thought - but you also have to go back and proof some of the tricks you have done, and many will take more than a day but sounds like you are doing great to stimulate his mind

There are tonnes of books out there - and I find youtube amazing - shaping and free shaping are great ways to teach new tricks - raid a toyshop for fun things to interact with - I was watching a friend og min trying to shape her dog to drop a toy basketball into a little basket
i never even thought of the basketball thing thats going to be one of my next ones haha. well my idea is to teach her a new trick 5 days a week and 2 days go over other tricks to see if she has learnt them properly. i heard you need to keep rotties and huskys stimulated so i think im doing a good job on that.

i love the stick trick tbh sounds really impressive and we allways play with sticks it just seems natural for a dog to fetch a stick.
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5