Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hammer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

31-01-2008, 07:43 AM

Feeding & Walking - Labrador

A quick question on behalf of a friend of mine please.

Following the death of a family member, my friend has inherited a brown Labrador. The dog is not two yet, but he's big and strong.

My friend works most of the day, but she has employed the services of somebody to walk the dog in the morning, and let it out into the garden to relieve itself at lunchtime. Then, when she gets home, she takes the dog out for a longer walk.

She's asked me what to feed him on, because she doesn't know what he ate at her relatives house. Also, she's been told that because he doesn't get much exercise during the day, if he's fed too much, he'll go nuts. Is this true please?

Does anybody have any advice I can pass on regarding feeding please? Ta
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2008, 09:17 AM
i would feed him a premium food ie; JWB, Burns.
make sure they feed him the correct amount for his breed.

exercise will stop the mad behaviour, a tired dog is a happy dog, it also sounds as tho he's bored so maybe a kong would help him.

dont exercise him 1 hour before and after food.

he's probably a bit traumatised by recent events so a calm environment would also help him.
Hammer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

31-01-2008, 10:05 PM
Thank you Hectors mum.

Her fear was that if he's fed too much he'll have too much energy in return. She thought that if his meals were smaller, he'd be less likely to get pent up energy.

I'll pass on your words
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2008, 10:13 PM
Well done on your friend for taking him on. Sounds like she has thought things through well, getting a dog walker in during the day.

What she chooses to feed him is very much a matter of personal preference, whether she wants to feed complete, canned, raw or homemade, the choices are endless! I agree with Hectorsmum that Burns is a very good food.
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2008, 01:55 PM
hi hun i have 2 labs they are fed twice aday they are on pro plan complete, they have nice longish walk in the morning, then have free run to the out side with a dog flap if the need to go and then get a long run at night. They hav kong that is frzen around lunch time lots of training through the day small and often. they are very happy and calm hope that helps hun am here if you want to ask any thing just PM