Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-12-2007, 06:49 PM

Internet shopping nonsense

Being stuck at home as I am, I have been doing some Christmas shopping by internet. What has astounded (and angered) me is the number of sites that won't deliver to Orkney - they say it's "Classified by our couriers as 'remote'"
So what? Royal Mail do it every day! It's not just the other cop-out (charging twice as much for delivery), it's that they won't do it at all! I was looking for a certain something for Mrs S and had to bypass FIVE different sites who wouldn't deliver, and had to resort to a more expensive one.

One of these, surprisingly,is Amazon. Some things they will, but there's a pile of things they won't (e.g. jewellery).I can't tell you what they wouldn't deliver for Mrs S, as she's hanging over my shoulder, spying

Snorri
Callum
Dogsey Senior
Male 

06-12-2007, 07:04 PM
I feel for you,
A lot of the time we get the ridiculous £20 or £30 charge or not at all, even AFTER placing an order. I mean why wouldnt I, it will clearly state UK mainland only. but apparently Im not on the mainland!? UH. hmmmm, someone didnt study there geography. Then you get pointed in the "These postcodes's: yada yada" webpage.

NONSENSE,. Rant over D:
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

06-12-2007, 07:18 PM
Some don't deliver to us as they don't deliver to post codes starting with PH as PH covers a lot of Highland.

The frustarting thing is they deliver to DD (Dundee) and AB (Aberdeen) and you have to come past my PH address on the way to Dundee or Aberdeen.
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2007, 07:27 PM
I often send things up to my friend in the Highlands and never have any problems with Royal Mail, she's just near Nairn, just east of Inverness. What about asking someone to on the mainland to send for it and then send it to you via Royal Mail..........just a thought!
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-12-2007, 07:27 PM
Actually, over the years, I've been extremely PO'ed with "UK Mainland only", so I query it. Half the time, Orkney is counted as "Mainland", but you can't tell without asking. Huh, I shouldn't be surprised - many of these southern idiots can't even spell it: I've had Aukny, Orkeney, Awkeney - and that's from Brits, not French, Germans or Americans, who could be said to have an excuse!

Snorri