Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2007, 09:22 AM

Metal detectors - anyone know anything?

My brother has decided that he would like a metal detector from my Mum for Christmas (as he's out and about with his dog anyway).

I've told Mum I'll look into it for her as she hasn't got a clue (nor have I at the moment!)

Does anyone know whether she would be able to get a semi-decent one for less than say £150 and if so, which makes/models are best?

If not, how much would she need to spend?

Thanks

Hali x
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

06-12-2007, 09:26 AM
Hi Hali,

Last time I looked (Which was two years ago) they were mostly well below that amount of money.

If you Google Maplins I think they sell them, and i'm sure someone will be along with more up to date info.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2007, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Hi Hali,

Last time I looked (Which was two years ago) they were mostly well below that amount of money.

If you Google Maplins I think they sell them, and i'm sure someone will be along with more up to date info.
Thanks Losos

I did a bit of looking last night & got a bit of a shock - they go well up into the £100's! I thought £100 would be towards the top of the range, but from my quick look yesterday, that's nearer the bottom (apart from the really, really cheap ones on Ebay)
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

06-12-2007, 11:57 AM
Just had a look at Maplins, their prices go from 39.99 up to 139.99

But you'll need someone else to advise you 'cos I've never actually owned or used one
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2007, 06:31 PM
My family had one as a kid and to be honest one costing about £100 would be more than adequate for just having a go on the beach or fields etc.
Becky
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2007, 06:41 PM
Can't help with the cost sorry, but I do have a tip for anyone using one.

Don't wear steel toecaps..... My X spent a whole day digging little holes all over the ploughed field beside us. He eventually gave up, exhausted and really fed up..... and never used it again
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

06-12-2007, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by pod View Post
Don't wear steel toecaps..... My X spent a whole day digging little holes all over the ploughed field beside us. He eventually gave up, exhausted and really fed up..... and never used it again
Is that why he's now your Ex
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2007, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Is that why he's now your Ex
Not totally.... there were other contibuting factors
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-12-2007, 09:54 PM
Two of my friends do detecting.Their detectors though are expensive pieces of kit which have greater depth than cheaper ones and also eliminate iron (you dont want to be digging up nails all the time).Even though they'res are pricy-they still can only detect metals 9-12" deep,but still depends on how compacted the soil is.I'll ask them tommorrow what makes theres are.

They do enjoy it though and have found some really intresting coins-along with 50 calibre live rounds from a WW2 plane crash!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2007, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by pod View Post
Can't help with the cost sorry, but I do have a tip for anyone using one.

:smt043 :smt043 :smt043
How stupid must he have felt when he realised

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Two of my friends do detecting.Their detectors though are expensive pieces of kit which have greater depth than cheaper ones and also eliminate iron (you dont want to be digging up nails all the time).Even though they'res are pricy-they still can only detect metals 9-12" deep,but still depends on how compacted the soil is.I'll ask them tommorrow what makes theres are.

They do enjoy it though and have found some really intresting coins-along with 50 calibre live rounds from a WW2 plane crash!
Thanks Steve.

I actually took the plunge and ordered one on line for her today - it seems to be a respected make & had good right ups, so fingers crossed I've made a reasonable choice.