Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2006, 08:32 PM

Changes to Irish Green Star System?

A rumour going around at Dublin yesterday was the proposed changes to the Green Star system. From January, there will be no points attached, you will get a Green Star if you are the best dog (or bitch in many breeds) AND you will only need 7 Green Stars to make up an Irish Champion, so even if you are the only entry you could do it!
BUT the downside is that the current FCI system at International shows whereby dogs are graded as they are judged, with only those marked at the highest grading being allowed to compete for the CACIB - will be applied to National shows as well so if your dog doesn't have sufficient merit, you won't get the Green Star even if you are the only one.
Apparently, those of us with Green Star points will get them "converted" in some way. As Deccy is on 3 Green Stars totalling 10 points we will at least have made a start!
This has to be ratified or whatever needs to be done to make it official, it will be interesting to see what the UK Kennel Club will allow as an Irish qualification for Crufts, which is currently a 5 point or better Green Star - equivalent to a CC - or for your dog to be an Irish Champion. The rumour mill has already been broadcasting the speculation that only Irish Champions will qualify, but those with a major Green Star this year (5 or more points) - will get a UK stud book number.
Confused? Well I certainly am!

I await the announcements with baited breath!!!

And for those of you who do Irish (IKC) shows - don't ask!
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2006, 09:20 PM
My God I was just getting the hang of the old system. I don't have my puppy yet but hope to do a little showing. I am just assuming you pick up the points system as you go along. I certainly hope so Help!!
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2006, 09:33 PM
Well if this system does come in, it will be much more straightforward. Get an "excellent" grade card when you have done your bit, then you go in for the challenge for the Green Star. Don't worry, when you come out of the ring just hang around and see if your number is called by the steward to go back in! You'll soon get the hang of it.
If you win the Green Star, then great. You just need to do it another 6 times.... and with more champ shows in Ireland than in the UK, you have plenty of opportunity!

Simple, really!

PS Berger I will at Cloghran on Sunday for an Open show, starts at noon, see you there?
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2006, 10:14 AM
Hi Deccy
I'm in Cork Friday - Sunday, well earned break! But will certainly pop in on my way home, so your the one with the dalmation right
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2006, 08:06 PM
There may be several Dalmatians, but I expect mine to be the only brown job. I am short, fat and usually wearing a light green trouser suit. Deccy on the other hand will look like he does in the pic above, lean and muscular!
I imagine we will be there until 4pm -ish.
Enjoy your break!
The next Dub show will be on 18th November, early start, and it will be very crowded.
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2006, 08:54 AM
Hi Deccy, will try to make it. Long drive back from Cork though. I have just put the 18th Show in my Calendar so I don't forget. Don't think I have anything on that day. See you there and good luck on Sunday!
pmknco
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-11-2006, 08:15 AM
I've not shown in Ireland yet, but show often in Germany where they keep moving the goal posts too. My dog gained his German title in October, yet he had more than enough wins but unfortunately he got them within 12 months. In Germany there has to be a minimum of 12 months between the first and last ticket.

I must admit it was hearing about the changes to the Irish system that have made me decide to give it a go.
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2006, 08:49 AM
It is now official! From the IKC -
"At the November meeting of the Ard Chomhairle the new Green Star system was approved to take effect from 1st January 2007
The number of Green Stars required for a Championship Title is seven, to be gained under 7 different judges.
The dog must be graded Excellent or in the case of a puppy Very Promising, to challenge for the Green Star.
Grading cards will be issued by the IKC.
Champions are eligible to challenge for the Green Star.
One Green Star must be won after the dog has reached the age of fifteen months.
There will be no enhancement for group wins.
Points won under the old system will be converted as follows:

Dogs having won 1 - 5 points = 1 Green Star
6 - 11 points = 2 Green Stars
12 - 18 points = 3 Green Stars
19 - 24 points = 4 Green Stars
25 - 31 points = 5 Green Stars
32 + points = 6 Green Stars

Dogs having won more than 32 points under the old Green Star system must win one Green Star under the new system to be awarded the title of Champion.
The title of Annual Champion in each breed is awarded to the dog with the highest number of Green Stars won in the calendar year ie 1st Jan – 31st Dec. In the event of a tie the award is made to the dog with the greatest number of Best of Breed wins.
It is proposed to implement this system from the 1st January 2007 with a review in 2009."

Being full members of the FCI now (which the UK isn't), the moves are in line with shifting the National awards - which still have to be in place as a National title has to be achieved before you can become an International champion - in line with FCI rules.
There are some changes to the Groups at the same time, we are moving from Utility to Hounds which is long overdue IMO!

Incidentally, exhibitors resident in the UK can no longer gain an International title by winning 4 CACIB's in Ireland, although ROI residents will still be able to. UK residents will have to win at least one CACIB (I think) at another FCI member Country's FCI show.