Our sister sites
Our sister sites
shaqutus
New Member!
Female 

13-08-2016, 08:33 PM

Two dogs won't play together - What to do

Hi!

I'd like some support and maybe even ideas what to do with my two dogs. I kind of regret taking another dog. Don't get me wrong, I love them both from the bottom of my heart and would never give away either of them. The problem just is that they're so different...

Older male is now 4½ years, the younger female is 2 years. The magical 2½ year difference I didn't realize my older dog was "the only dog" until I got another. He doesn't play with the young one at all, he just wants to play with me (mainly fetching the ball). The younger doesn't care about me that much, she'd like to play with the older one only. It's really frustrating at times. I don't know how to play with the younger one since she doesn't really want to play with me. She might come to me with a toy in her mouth, wanting me to chase her. But when I do so, she gets bored almost right away and just lies down with the toy. The older one is mainly interested with fetching, but sometimes gets excited and tries to play with me. I play with him but the young one jumps right in (can't blame her) and the older one just grunts and goes away. I feel sad for both of them. The older one can't play anymore because the younger one always interrupts us, and the younger one can't play because... well there is no dog to play with.

I have two friends with a dog and my dogs love when I meet with them. But that is maybe once a week so... My dogs do get along fine, and sometimes outside when they're off leash the older one might get excited and plays with the other for a minute. I go for walks with them (well of course, two 30-60 min walks + morning & evening pees) and sometimes try to do some brain training with them (which is also hard with two dogs, the other is always trying to interrupt me). Sometimes we go to a park nearby and I throw a ball, but the older one is the only one who is interested, the younger one will just stand there bored almost the whole time. I'd love to take them to a dog park, but there is no dog park near me and I don't have a car. The younger one would love that.

I feel like I should give more to them but I don't know what and how. And it makes me really frustrated when I'm trying to play two different games with two different dogs, when they could just play together! Especially because that's what the younger one would want The older one sleeps a lot but the younger one is always up, watching what I do. There's nothing wrong with that, but I'm just afraid she's bored and needs something to do. They have bones and toys in basket on the floor, but neither of them plays by themselves and only rarely chews bones.

Am I alone with this? Does anyone ever get tired with their dogs or feel like you can't offer enough? Any ideas would be appreciated too! (and please don't be too harsh, this was hard thing to even write!)
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2016, 10:19 PM
I doubt anyone will be harsh because there's really nothing to be harsh about. My previous two dogs were very much the same as yours. My collie was two years older than my 'mix and match'. My collie (Sam) love chasing his ball. My younger dog (Jade) only had interest in chasing Sam. Unfortunately, Sam didn't want to play with her, just with us. They got on fine, but, like you, I didn't feel they were a good fit with each other even though both clearly fit with us. I often felt sorry for Sam because his games were spoiled and I'm pretty certain that if given the choice he would have preferred to be an only dog.

That said, they lived out their lives with us and we loved them both to bits.

Advice - nope, not really except, if you can, try to give them some time individually so that your older dog can still enjoy his game and the younger one can maybe have cuddles or training or whatever floats her boat.

Other than that, stop beating yourself up about them and try to enjoy your relationship with them. Like us, dogs have their own personality and sometimes those personalities are just so different
Ms. M
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-08-2016, 05:39 AM
I think you need to take them for a puppy class, because it will help you to improve their behavior. Dog's personality is very easy to change with the help of the trainor because they know how exactly what to do about this kind of improper behaviour. Maybe it's not time for them to getting use to each other, but I know time welcome and they become best of friend and you will more enjoy yourself as a parents of those two lovable dogs. Keep us updated hope your plan for them will succeed soon. Good luck.