Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Maximillionz
New Member!
Male 

05-03-2013, 08:54 PM

Supplements for Doggy Arthritis

Hello everyone. I am the owner of a 9 year old male doberman and a 13 year old male german shepherd. Both have been diagnosed with moderate to severe arthritis in both hind legs. My doberman has bad ACLs as well.

They both eat an exclusively raw diet and I supplement with glucosamine and fish oil. They are both at normal weights - about 80 lbs for the dobe and 60 lbs for the shepherd. They appear to be very happy and healthy dogs, except for the bad hind legs.

More recently, they have had some trouble standing up and walking. My doberman seems to get tired after 15 minutes and needs a 10 minute break before walking more. My german shepherd is a little wobbly on the back legs, and seems to cross his feet at times.

I was wondering if there was anything else I can do to help them out, or is this just what happens to big old dogs? I feel like I already give them the best diet. Are there any other supplements I should consider? I have heard about using deer velvet - any experiences with that? What about steroid shots? THANK YOU.
manydogz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-03-2013, 09:54 PM
Had my vet tell me some years ago that ECOTRIN should have been made for dogs instead of people. He had me give it to my shepard that had crippling bouts of arthritis. Worked wonders on her after one dose.