View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2013, 09:17 AM
We checked food before buying Betty pup, several breeders were into raw and we know I can't do that so we made it a priority (one of many lol) that the pups were not raw fed.

Although we have changed from commercial to home cooked after a few days anyway.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-02-2013, 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by katilea View Post
no I assumed she meant her adult dogs were on raw, but I'd already said I didn't do raw and didn't think they'd make such tiny puppies eat raw bone and meat, knowing he was going to be fed on kibble by his new owner. I am deaf and the lady had scottish accent (I'm not in Scotland). I was guessing much of what she said from lip-reading. She left papers with instructions on worming, how many meals he needed a day and how much so naturally I assumed that's what he was on!

Surely breeders don't all expect everybody to feed raw?
I think one of the problems might be that you had not seen the puppy until the breeder delivered him to you, so you really do not know what sort of breeder she is and under what conditions he had lived.
katilea
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-02-2013, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
I think one of the problems might be that you had not seen the puppy until the breeder delivered him to you, so you really do not know what sort of breeder she is and under what conditions he had lived.
It doesn't matter now.. had I got him from rescue I wouldn't have known his previous conditions either as I didn't Inca's.

His Bob & Lush food arrives today so I'll try him on that and see how we do. Right now my elderly dog is more of a worry so she's next on list to be sorted out!
Jfk
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-02-2013, 11:25 PM
Have a look at Robbie's salmon and potato from www.landofholisticpets.co.uk
Their website is great, lots of allergy/nutrition information.

Hope the pups better soon
katilea
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-02-2013, 11:37 PM
Originally Posted by Jfk View Post
Have a look at Robbie's salmon and potato from www.landofholisticpets.co.uk
Their website is great, lots of allergy/nutrition information.

Hope the pups better soon
They all seem to have either brown rice or oats..for now he's having no grains at all (or eggs/dairy) until his tummy is settled.

I'll see how he does on the Bob & Lush which just arrived today. he had a small portion with homecooked for dinner and produced one small firm neat poo .. with no desire to eat it! ... so I'll see how we do as I increase his kibble.

Thanks
Jfk
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-02-2013, 07:00 AM
Originally Posted by katilea View Post
They all seem to have either brown rice or oats..for now he's having no grains at all (or eggs/dairy) until his tummy is settled.

I'll see how he does on the Bob & Lush which just arrived today. he had a small portion with homecooked for dinner and produced one small firm neat poo .. with no desire to eat it! ... so I'll see how we do as I increase his kibble.

Thanks
There's no brown rice or oats in the salmon or potato
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-03-2013, 03:29 PM
how much are you actually giving him? volume wise? if you over feed this can also cause the runs as the tummy cant process it all.

My boy only had decent poos on raw but wouldnt eat enough to keep weight on and i went through lots fo different things until we stuck on Barking Heads 'fusspot' = salmon and potato. and his poops is fine now
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2013, 03:48 PM
My 2 are loving the Bob & Lush, plus it is a nice size so they have to crunch it not just hoover it up, debating now whether to keep them on it as it is expensive at full price???
katilea
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-03-2013, 04:25 PM
he's not been overfed..I fed under rather than amount it says to allow for extra treats throughout day used in his training.

so I wouldn't go above the guide for say 5-10kg rather than 11-20kg. (He was 10.4kg when last weighed the other week)

He gets a good walk, pavement/traffic training but can get footplate of mobility scooter whenever he wants and we walk to fields in neighbouring villages so he gets good run offlead with his chuck it ball launcher and squeaky kong airballs (which he loves).

We also do an extra play after tea (in garden) before it gets too dark and cold then he's happy to settle in the lounge for the evening.

His poo' s are much better on this food. one small neat firm poo in morning and just before bed and he seems to have lost the desire to eat his or Inca's poo now...so I'm happy with that, if it stays like this we will stay on Bob & Lush.

Inca is currently using up the Fishmongers whilst we wait for her Fish4 dogs weight control food to come..also Salmon & potato flavour but only 7% fat as she's not as active and putting weight on.
katilea
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-03-2013, 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by zoeyvonne View Post
My 2 are loving the Bob & Lush, plus it is a nice size so they have to crunch it not just hoover it up, debating now whether to keep them on it as it is expensive at full price???
yeah I was thinking of finding a cheaper duck & veg based food to switch him to by the time we were getting near end of this bag. I don't want to upset his tummy again though once I've finally found something that agrees with him!..It depends how long the bag lasts as I'm only using it as base with home cooked to make sure he's getting all his vitamins etc, so he's not having the full amount for his weight. sometimes he's having wet with it, sometimes home cooked (meat or fish with veg as part of his dinner too).

I found this one can get two bags for £17.99 from Croft online..think its £10 for one bag on Amazon.

http://www.croftonline.co.uk/scp/Nat...istic_Dog_Food /products.asp?partno=GHP20

Though I was looking for one Duck & Veg rather than Duck & potato (or some other meat with veg..single protein only) ..I don't mind if has bit of sweet potato in but not the first ingredient mainly potato.
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >