Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-02-2013, 06:17 PM
Gentle cuddles for the big brave boy! xx
pip1976
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-02-2013, 07:11 PM
Thank you Malka, he has sent off the blood tests allergy tests and skin scrapes so he said we should have a lot of results bk in a couple of week! just praying this surgery on his eye solves all the itching and scratching x
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2013, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by pip1976 View Post
Thank you Malka, he has sent off the blood tests allergy tests and skin scrapes so he said we should have a lot of results bk in a couple of week! just praying this surgery on his eye solves all the itching and scratching x
Was the eye surgery something you'd discussed having done with the vet previously to this? Must say I don't really know what 'eyelid turning in' problem is.
pip1976
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-02-2013, 08:26 PM
No, we didn't discuss the eye surgery at all!
But every time we took Alfie in the vet couldn't get close to examine him due to his anxiety as he would lunge, so he assumed the eye and skin condition were connected so he gave us some steroids and antibiotics his skin was clearing up but his eye wasn't so he said the only way to be able to see what was causing his skin flare up was skin scrapes and whilst sedated he would examine his eye also that is when he realized it was Entropia and in his own judgement proceeded with the surgery, so he would not have to do it another time and put him through it all with his anxiety and with him being a large dog!
pip1976
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-02-2013, 08:29 PM
Can I just ask if anyone has ever had trouble with the elizabethian collars Alfie has adjusted to his quickly it doesn't phase him but he keeps catching it on doorways and such I have practically flat packed my dining room away so he cant catch anything but the door ways are narrow and he has caught his eye luckily it did not bleed ;( I know he needs to wear it as he still wants to itch as the vet said he would! but I cant watch him 24/7 ;(
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2013, 09:31 PM
Poor Alfie, but hopefully his eye will be so much better when it all heals.

As for the cone - they do eventually try to be more careful, but the odd bump is inevitable, especially if they are in a hurry, and given that it is his face that needs to be protected then this is a problem for you isn't it. Could you tape a big wadge of gamgee or some other dressing to the inside of the cone? It might just cushion any blows enough to prevent damage.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2013, 10:41 PM
Those collars are a nightmare!

If he had entropian, that would explain a lot of the rubbing and scratching at his face. It is where the eyelid turns inwards and the eyelashes rub against the eye. It is a hereditary condition and those dogs affected shouldn't be bred from

I do hope he recovers nicely for you, big fellow is lucky he has you x
pip1976
Dogsey Junior
Male 

27-02-2013, 12:45 PM
Afternoon everyone! Alfie is back to his usual bouncy self today he keeps whinging I was in the kitchen this morning and came rushing in thinking he was in pain but he was crying for his toy box which had been moved out of his reach! he's not an happy bunny as his walks have been cut short My husband takes him out every morning with other dog walkers and he thought best not to for a couple of weeks as the dogs tend to play wrestle and that's not a good idea whilst Alfies recovering! he says thanks to everyone following his thread here's a photo below.

P.S Malka we actually had no problems with transporting him in the ford ka as long as he had his window open he was happy

We also took some chocolates and a card to the vets today to say Thank you on Alfies behalf.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2013, 01:14 PM
Awwww lovely piccy of dear Alfie there, he doesn't look too bothered with it, and they've made a good job with that eye haven't they.

I'm sure he will feel a lot more comfortable now, and it could have been the eyelashes (turned inwards) which had started the whole episode off and those scrapes will come back ok for him.

So glad he's bounced back for you today, cos sometimes with big dogs, those aneasthetics take a while, but he seems happy doesn't he
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-02-2013, 01:40 PM
Oh Alfie, blue is so your colour! Fingers still crossed that the scrape results will come back as being nothing to worry about.

[actually I have never seen a Ford Ka so have no idea what size they are - just sounded rather small for a big lad like Alfie!]
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >