View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 12:16 PM
I am glad this has been move to another thread because some of the comments were just cruel in the context of the other thread.

My 2p worth
I totaly agree that killing a different species and killing another dog are totaly different things - and will be done for different reasons

I have no idea what i would do if one of mine killed another, I dont see that the dog would need put to sleep especially if I wasnt there and didnt know why the behaviour happend, it could have been any of the other dogs fault, a dog not covered in blood could have still started it

But I think in so many situations we forget what our pets are
Dogs, cats, ferrets - are all killers
It is amazing that they can live with us and each other in such harmony really
I was at my friends house the other day watching the dogs and cats playing together and it was amazing to watch

Yes it is not usual for a dog to kill another dog
But it is natural and it does happen
and of course it is horrible for us humans

On a side note I personaly do not find it acceptable for large groups of dogs to be fighting regularly
To me that suggests that comunication and trust between the dogs is not good enough and they are unsure around each other and overreact
fighting is a waste of energy
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post

On a side note I personaly do not find it acceptable for large groups of dogs to be fighting regularly
To me that suggests that comunication and trust between the dogs is not good enough and they are unsure around each other and overreact
fighting is a waste of energy
I'm not sure where this came into it - or if it was aimed at my post (or Mums) we were both talking about the same incident...which was a single incident.

I'm must have missed where people have said they have dogs that fight on a regular basis.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 12:27 PM
My dogs have both killed other animals - birds and other small mammals (chickens, wild birds, rats and a couple of wild rabbits). They took one of my baby turkeys this year as well. I was really cross with them, but, in the end, they're dogs, and it's just instinct....

There are many instances in the wild where animals and birds will kill another of their own kind. Chickens will and do kill chicks - it's one of the reasons why a mother and baby hens are often kept seperate from the rest of the flock; as other hens in the flock can and do attack the babies and kill them.

Rabbits and other small mammals, as well as dogs and cats, will kill their babies/pups/kits, ostensibly because there is something wrong - but also in defence of their litter.
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 12:28 PM
I find this quite interesting as my basenji killed my parrot last year. Not in the same league as killing one of the other dogs of course, but was a real sharp reality check for me that I have to be SO careful as she is a recently domesticated breed (comparitively speaking) and she can and will kill small creatures as her nature dictates. It wasnt quite that cut and dry TBH though, she is very well behaved with the other animals in the house (always under strict supervision of course) and even snuggles up to the cats to sleep. The bird escaped out of a window when Maya was in the garden and she grabbed it and killed it instantly. That is my fault, not hers and its not a malicious thing on her part.

Now, having read the first few pages of the other thread I have to say if one of my dogs killed another of my dogs I think I would make the decision to have them PTS. Not because I think they are "evil" or "wicked", but because I have several dogs in my house and its important for me to trust them to not hurt each other, they travel together, get walked together, go on holidays together... If i was constantly worried about one killing the others it would have to be crated at all times and exercised alone, for my piece of mind. I dont think thats anyway for a dog to live. I dont believe in passing problems onto other people so for that reason I wouldnt rehome it.

I would, however, get a full medical screening done on the dog to make sure there wasnt any health reasons for it doing it.

I hope its a decision none of us have to make, what a heartbreaking thing for that person to go through. Im very lucky that my dogs (large and small) all get on well and respect each other and are friends, I cant imagine one ever turning on the others, that would be my worst nightmare.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
I'm not sure where this came into it - or if it was aimed at my post (or Mums) we were both talking about the same incident...which was a single incident.

I'm must have missed where people have said they have dogs that fight on a regular basis.
Wasnt you guys - cant rem the post cos I read the whole thread in a 1er but someone was saying they find it natural for their dogs to fight often
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Many people have said that they have seen similar incidents within their groups of dogs. Do you think all these dogs have been considering themserlves the pack leaders?

rune
They have said they have seen dogs fighting, not the same thing as ripping an old dogs throat out. When i showed & my dogs were entire i had two males who fought. They would put each other "down" on their backs but thats as far as it went. It was always the same one that started it.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
They have said they have seen dogs fighting, not the same thing as ripping an old dogs throat out. When i showed & my dogs were entire i had two males who fought. They would put each other "down" on their backs but thats as far as it went. It was always the same one that started it.
Just takes one tooth in the wrong place.
galty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

21-01-2011, 12:54 PM

Well said.

Puts the point over very well.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Just takes one tooth in the wrong place.
???? - explain above comment
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 01:06 PM
???? - explain above comment
During a fight (If dogs have an argument) the difference in a 1cm can can be the difference between a flesh wound and a mortal one.

Unless you would not accept any kind of blood shed between dogs?
Page 8 of 56 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 > Last »