Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2009, 12:07 PM

How old is too old for first litter?

Just asking because I was talking to a man with some Borzois lately and he was mating one of his bitches for the first time at age seven. A while ago I was talking to Rio and Dan's breeder about planned litters and she was intending to mate a four year old bitch before it was too late for her to have a first litter. So...just wondering, how old is too old?
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2009, 12:12 PM
IMHO, I wouldn't breed a bitch over 4/5 years for her first litter.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2009, 12:19 PM
I agree with Kel here, I think that's far too old at 7, and I do remember my vet saying to me once that if I wanted to breed from Cassie I should do it now, and she would have been about 3/4 then, but of course I didn't want to.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2009, 12:24 PM
In saying that I mean that is the absolute max for me, ideally 2-3 years is best. Again JMO.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-06-2009, 12:24 PM
Personally , no later than 5
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2009, 01:02 PM
No later than 3 max.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

20-06-2009, 01:03 PM
I think if you look on the KC website the minimum age for a female is 12 months and the max for a first litter is 4 years. That is what we adhere to, in fact the minimum age should really be 18 months to 2 years for large breed dogs, they are not physically or mentally mature before then really. Breeding a female for the first time at 7 years??? Why on earth did he not breed her before?? She could have horrendous problems whelping and also later on as it could cause problems with ovarian cysts for example.
susanatlasinski
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-06-2009, 03:01 PM
I would say in my breed no later than 5 for a first litter. Loona will be 4 next month and I am planning to breed from her at her next season, up until now I have felt that she wasn't mature enough either physically or mentally.
I definately would say that 18 months is still far too young for a large or slow maturing breed.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2009, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
I think if you look on the KC website the minimum age for a female is 12 months and the max for a first litter is 4 years. That is what we adhere to, in fact the minimum age should really be 18 months to 2 years for large breed dogs, they are not physically or mentally mature before then really. Breeding a female for the first time at 7 years??? Why on earth did he not breed her before?? She could have horrendous problems whelping and also later on as it could cause problems with ovarian cysts for example.
he could be in the same boat as me, ...not enough people on a waiting list.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2009, 09:10 PM
hi
i think a bitch should not have her first litter at seven,myself i would never advise breeding a bitch until she is 3.i would have a bitch of 7 spayed.but thats my personal opinion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >