Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2009, 07:08 PM

Kennel club responsible breeding petition

Has everyone seen this?

http://www.gopetition.co.uk/online/24731.html

The newsletter says:

"Sign our petition and support responsible dog breeding

The Kennel Club wants to ensure that every dog’s life can be as happy and healthy as it can be. The best way to achieve this is by encouraging the responsible breeding of dogs and empowering potential puppy buyers to recognise what makes a responsible breeder.

The Kennel Club recognises that the vast majority of people involved are already responsible dog breeders who care very deeply about the health and welfare of their animals. The Kennel Club wants to support responsible breeders in order to protect the future of pedigree dogs in the UK.

We are taking action and we need you to do the same.

Please sign the Kennel Club’s petition calling on the government to apply the basic principles embodied in the Kennel Club's Accredited Breeder Scheme to the breeding of ALL dogs in the UK – sign up and show your support today"

I'm confused. Remember I made the mistake of assuming a KC accredited breeder meant they would have to have had health checks on both parents? Well, does this now mean that the KC have changed their rules and they want to make it official across the board?
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2009, 07:39 PM
God knows - but I would have liked to have seen the Accredited Breeder Scheme offering some kind of incentives for widening gene pools; like a database showing least related dogs, some kind of scheme for importing new blood, either in the form of dogs or semen, and even some basic-advanced genetics seminars or something. I think misconceptions/lack of knowledge surrounding genetics is one of the major problems in pedigree dogs, and I think this should be a main focus for the Kennel Club, but sadly it isn't. This is the view of respected geneticists too, but the KC have hopped on another (probably more lucrative) bandwagon unfortunately.