View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TheABCs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-02-2011, 04:58 PM
That's an interesting question that someone's brought up, along the line. Would anyone go to a dog trainer without professional qualifications? If you wouldn't, what qualifications would you feel necessary? What qualifications aren't worth the paper they're written on? It's something I've pondered lately, as there seem to be a rash of people advertising, with no qualifications, or qualifications where it's not really clear what they are. Would people go to trainers, with no written qualifications, but with many years' practical experience, or prefer someone with a lot fewer years experience and less experience of different types of dogs, but with a written qualification?
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by TheABCs View Post
That's an interesting question that someone's brought up, along the line. Would anyone go to a dog trainer without professional qualifications? If you wouldn't, what qualifications would you feel necessary? What qualifications aren't worth the paper they're written on? It's something I've pondered lately, as there seem to be a rash of people advertising, with no qualifications, or qualifications where it's not really clear what they are. Would people go to trainers, with no written qualifications, but with many years' practical experience, or prefer someone with a lot fewer years experience and less experience of different types of dogs, but with a written qualification?
i cant see why anybody would choose that option
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-02-2011, 05:04 PM
i tend to lean toward experience... i dont think experience OR qualifications necessarily make a good trainer, going along and observing how they work should be the deciding factor
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 05:08 PM
I tend to experience, think some great dog trainers have no qualifications, but they understand dogs, they are naturals at it.

My problem with Adam, is that he uses such a harsh technique to train dogs, I want to know why he learned to deal with dogs that way. Did he study it, if so where, etc?

Does he have any background in dog behaviour and training. Why out off all the dogs trainers in his area, people would hand over their dog to be shocked. How long has he been training.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 05:11 PM
I'd go to someone with no qualifications but who was able to read dogs and used methods I like over someone with qualifications who couldn't and didn't. Qualifications aren't everything imo. Especially when you don't need one to call yourself a dog trainer.
TheABCs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-02-2011, 05:12 PM
Perhaps "tend" [to go] is really the word I meant to use rather than "prefer"... Now that I see it in writing, I think it expresses more what I intended... Thanks, Dawes Paws.
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

17-02-2011, 05:12 PM
Vey basic run down on my doggy history if you like.

Growing up we always had family dogs, collies/jrt/huntaway cross.

At 13 I got a border collie and took him to a local mixed method training class (its still running and really popular)
Trained him up reasonably well and really enjoyed it.

Family got a few more dogs in the mean time (we always had at least 3) and I trained them as well.

Went to uni ect

Started dog training after I finished uni and was just using methods I learned already, used spray collars for some stuff, got into e collars through that really. Discovered variouse e collar trainers and began to study their methods, began to use e collars shortly after. Had success and its just spiraled from there tbh.

Adam
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-02-2011, 05:19 PM
what kind of training did you start with? just one to ones? and what for, training basic commands or specifically "issues" and did you ever run classes?
merryvale
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-02-2011, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
If you know so much about me merryvale why are u asking.

Just search the forum for info on my qualifications, I'm not interested in digging it out.

Anyway nice to see that went presented with a viewpoint you lot can't understand you all freakout so much lol.

Adam
I'm not asking as I already know lol

Dig out info? You should KNOW without having to look what qualifications you possess.

As far as I can see no one here is "freaking out" We are however not prepared to sit here and allow you to spout utter rubbish and inflict pain and fear on animals just to inflate your ego.

Oh and you have still not answered Moonstones question correctly. I beleive they asked what your qualifcations are re dog behavior and training
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

17-02-2011, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by Dawes Paws View Post
what kind of training did you start with? just one to ones? and what for, training basic commands or specifically "issues" and did you ever run classes?
I'm only one to one, even now. Don't do classes as such. Have helped in a few but never enjoyed it as much as one to one, just me I guess.

I think from the start its been largely behaviour issues tbh.

Adam
Page 15 of 38 « First < 5 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 25 > Last »