Female 

05-03-2008, 02:00 PM

Best age...

Whats the best age to breed?
samanthac
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-03-2008, 02:24 PM
i would say anytime after 18 months but for a large breed i would say around 2 yrs, depends on your girl, ive just found out my girl has had a potential miscarrige and shes 19months so either the breeding didnt work or her body just wasn't ready yet! shes got plenty of time to have a litter so its just a case of waiting to see what your girls like!
sorry not much help just rambling on! lol
Emo_Stars
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-03-2008, 03:12 PM
Thanks. I've got 2 staffies, the girl is 2 now and the male is 6 months (too young to breed i know) i got told to wait till my males atleast 2 years
samanthac
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-03-2008, 05:20 PM
i think that anytime after your male reaches 10 months is ok i think any how
Emo_Stars
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-03-2008, 05:27 PM
Ok thankyou. He's already trying to hump my female lol.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2008, 07:33 PM
You will also have to make sure that BOTH dogs have all the relevant health tests for the breed, I'm sure somebody will be along soon to tell you which ones are needed.
Emo_Stars
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-03-2008, 07:44 PM
Oh yeah i know that. Going to go to my local vet and ask him. I also need to find out if my female is a pedigree cuz we got her as a rescue, the home seems to think she is but still its better to get another opinion
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2008, 09:37 PM
why would you want to breed a rescue dog? if you got her from a rescue she should have been spayed before given to you?

also with the pedigree..........you dont have any papers? so that means you cant kc reg them?

please dont breed for breeding sake!
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2008, 10:37 PM
sorry I thought we were talking about KC registered pedigree dogs here......if she's rescue then please don't breed her, you know nothing about her background or pedigree, you know nothing about any diseases in her pedigree which could be passed onto her pups
wendy taylor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-03-2008, 11:55 AM
in my breed,we would not breed until the female is two years old,I like to have all hip and elbow scores done,but I think Staffordsire Bull Terriers have different criteria,but I think also if you spoke to a reputable breeder of your breed,that they would probably not allow you to use their stud,on an unregistered,rescue bitch,I know I would not allow it with one of my males,also there are many,many unregistered dogs of this breed being advertised,lots of people dropping the prices,perhaps have your bitch spayed,and if you really want to go down the breeding line,show your male,see how he does against others of his breed,and if he does well you will find that people with well bred bitches will approach you,
Wendy
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >