Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
charli
New Member!
Male 

02-10-2006, 01:06 AM

glucosamine ??

we have a three year old staffie (charli) who lost her front right leg in an accident last year and we are worried that she will develope arthritis in her other leg due to the strain.
my question is would giving her a glucosamine supplement help prevent her developing arthritis?

sai
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2006, 12:53 PM
I'm not sure Charli but I know Steve on here has used that for his Rotties arthritus but not sure whether it can prevent it or not - wouldn't have thought it would have done any harm to give it and see if it does Somebody will probably give you some better advice when they see this thread.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2006, 01:40 PM
It won't prevent arthritis, but it will help with any stiffness. I give my eldest GSD glucosamine daily and it's helped with his arthritis.
bint
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-10-2006, 02:07 PM
A couple of years ago I asked our vet what to give our oldest dog to help keep his joints supple as he aged & he suggested glucosamine & chondroitin together. Don't know how effective it has been but I've given it ever since & it doesn't seem to be doing him any harm.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2006, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
It won't prevent arthritis, but it will help with any stiffness. I give my eldest GSD glucosamine daily and it's helped with his arthritis.
I also give my 5 year old GSD glucosamine every day to help with her joints and it does seem to make a difference. I would get Charli started on glucosamine as it certainly won't do her any harm.
SuzanneGSD
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-10-2006, 03:30 PM
hello
My GSD has synoquin - helps with arthritis. wont stop them getting it but slows things down and provides support!

would highly recommend hydro though, the more muscle that is built up the better!!

good luck!
charli
New Member!
Male 

03-10-2006, 12:01 AM
thanky you all for your adivice, i will start her on the glucosamine and see how we go from there.
sai