Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2006, 08:38 PM

How the mighty are fallen

Having had two shows recently where Deccy has showed superbly, (one gave us a group win) we went to an Open today and all was fine until the judge - who was gentleness itself - moved to his rear, and Deccy took an instant and severe dislike to him and refused to be gone over without me pegging him in place He moved well enough, and went BOB which he really didn't deserve.
Came the group - same judge - even worse reaction so not placed, and quite rightly so.
An hour later, bumped into the judge who apologised for not placing him but felt he couldn't in the circumstances.... I assured him that he had done the right thing and I was mortified that my dog had misbehaved.
Then...... it turns out... the judge REALLY liked him and might have even given him the group if he had co-operated.
I have been racking my brains all the way home as to what might have spooked him, without success yet.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2006, 08:49 PM
Aww deccy thats a shame, Maddy has moods like this too, usually when outdoors she's less likely to co-operate than indoors when she's an absolute star, have no idea what could have happened but something has spooked him out, hopefully it was just a one off
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2006, 09:19 PM
Wonder if the judge had a bad aftershave on or something, I know smells can upset some dogs?it strange if he has never done anything like this before.

Mo
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2006, 04:22 PM
Aw poor you

Takara is funny with certain people and only around her back end. She had a problem with one particular trainer at our ringcraft class and wouldn't be gone over by her and she snapped at the vet when I took her to get some malaseb for her dally rash.

It's strange and upsetting but I'm sure it'll be a one off and it might just be that he took a certain dislike to him in particular on this day. It's a shame that the judge liked him so much though! I hope it is just a one off
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2006, 07:47 PM
Well I think you have taken the situation very well indeed and I am impressed with how sporting your attitude is to be honest, well done!

You both did well to get the BOB, I am delighted for you. As to Deccy not liking the judge going over him well it could have been anything. As suggested something even as simple as aftershave - my dog Jasper took a dislike to one judge and it took me ages to figure out it was the first man who had gone over him who was bearded! He really spooked about the beard, after that I made sure I got as many men with facial hair to go over him as poss and he never batted an eyelid after a few weeks training! Another friend who shows GSDs said her dog spooked at a well known judge because he always wore a hat and her dog hated him! It was the only person he wouldn't allow to go over him!

I wouldn't worry overly-so - Deccy is obviously a great show-dog and dogs like humans can take dislikes to people, I guess we will never know (maybe he had B.O ! ) The main thing I would concentrate on is getting some nice positivity about showing again and put it down to experience!
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2006, 06:06 AM
Well I think you have taken the situation very well indeed and I am impressed with how sporting your attitude is to be honest, well done!
Thanks for that - the show scene here is a very small place and it is doubly important to show good manners and sportsmanship, as word gets around like wildfire! In any case, I am totally satisfied with the way the judge reacted. Hey, in ten years of showing I never won a Group even at a small Open and 2 weeks ago I did - to be seriously considered again in such a short time is good enough for me, I find that extremely flattering and encouraging for the future.
I think I have found the problem. Deccy has a problem with anyone touching his "crown jewels", I don't know if he has hurt himself there since he was even worried about me doing it last night, which he normally doesn't react to. So I will have to spend the next week, er, tickling his xxxxx and saying a particular word over and over, and feed him bits of cheese (his favourite treat) so I change his mindset and any bruising there will be dying down.
The things I do for my dogs!
At least he might start to smile after this
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2006, 08:47 AM
LOL Deccy, you made me laugh when I read that - I should think he would be smiling after all that errr....atttention!

Funny Ozzy scuffed his bits doing a flying stop one day and he got a bit flighty when anyone went near them too - I guess it is completely natural if they are a bit tender.

I am sure once he feels a bit less sensitive he will be fine again - good luck at your next show
muttsrus
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-05-2006, 02:12 PM
when i teach ringcraft, i use sunglasses and hats and wear strong perfume when handling the dogs, i have a man that smokes a pipe and another that smokes cigars they all go over dogs and stoke them etc, the other thing i do, i tie black bags onto chairs and leave them there for the dogs to sniff, and i will place an umberella into the middle of the floor all for the dogs to sniff at, i asked the people i was training if they minded and they where all for it, they even asked me about the black binbags as loads of dogs get spooked by them , we have not had anyone with a beard yet so i might get hubby to grow a beard and come and go over some of the dogs, i know what it is like to have a dog spooked, and you have no reason why, my bullie can be a sod and a half with some men judges but give him a lady judge and the charm is turned on by the bucket.
carol
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2006, 07:59 PM
when i teach ringcraft, i use sunglasses and hats and wear strong perfume when handling the dogs, i have a man that smokes a pipe and another that smokes cigars they all go over dogs and stoke them etc, the other thing i do, i tie black bags onto chairs and leave them there for the dogs to sniff, and i will place an umberella into the middle of the floor all for the dogs to sniff at
That's great, I wish more would do that, it IS a great help. when I first got Deccy he was already nearly 7 months old and I would take him into town, at first he would dive into doorways if a tractor or lorry went by (yes, even in the towns here, the tractor is king! ) but eventually they didn't bother him at all.
We're off to Cork next Monday (our bank holiday) another male judge so it will be interesting to see how he is.