Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ella's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2006, 01:44 PM

growing veg

i thought it might be a good idea to grow some veg in pots , might encourage my kids to eat them if they watch them grow but i have no idea what is best , or when to plant them ??????
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-01-2006, 08:08 AM
That is an excellent idea

There are lots of things that can be grown in pots - herbs, lettuce, tomatoes, strawberries, potatoes can be grown in a tower of 3-4 old tyres.

I am sure some of the more of the 'green-thumbed' DWers will be able to offer more suggestions

Your library is sure to have books on 'container gardening' which will cover veg as well as fruit, salad stuff and herbs
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

27-01-2006, 08:18 AM
I grew some new pots in containers once for the Summer,big pots though,and you can find the pots in Wilko's to buy for plabnting and they will tell what varities they are and whether new,mids or lates. New and Mids are good lates are what you would use now for baking and mash etc.,.
There is an old Gardeners theory to plant your pots on Good Friday something to do with the moon.My Dad always did this and had the best pots on the allotment,runner beans are good because you can use canes to make a wig wam,line the soil with newspapers layer it it keeps the moisture in,they drink a lot.Warm your soil also put into tub and put some fleece on it before planting.
Ella's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2006, 01:19 PM
thanks for that , i will have a go see what i can grow